CB350 Scrambler Siblings

I forgot to pick up the rubber grommets needed to make the tank mounts today, so I started on the side panels. I roughed in one to check the figment, and I'm really happy with it. I think they're going to look great. I threw on a velocity stack to check the clearances, I'll be running uni filters on the completed bike.

fbc985be741cf7ae8ede7ad580d79641.jpg

67c1ce77a882ae51fbc368020e4208f3.jpg

d1e10325ff8aa5b971cf450475d3331d.jpg

Was that backbone weld to clear your tank or just wanted something stronger than the factory spot welds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

540Nova said:
Was that backbone weld to clear your tank or just wanted something stronger than the factory spot welds?

For both purposes really. It allows me to use a more shallow tunnel in the tank which increases fuel capacity, and it strengthens the backbone. So a win-win as I see it.

The transition pieces for the set pan are shaped and welded on. There are tabs on the underside that support the transitions and provide weld areas. These pieces allow the seat to clear the rear tank mounts, and provide a sturdy edge for the seat upholstery that will contour to the tank. They actually too a good amount of work, and will be covered in foam and leather, never to be seen again.

934eafa581bbb8ef082abeb8bc9f142e.jpg

b15837abcca31accb4c6e20b8519da05.jpg

Before going any further with the seat I wanted to get the side panels mounted. The battery will be mounted below the seat so I decided to make the right side panel removable. I machined some aluminum bullets to hold grommets on the right side panels allowing them to pop off like the stock side covers.

e81a18a0b9bbe773f4a0ba0013f3531f.jpg

e98eee5af8ec5d7cdedc4952e2a9f853.jpg

f9d738b28345c6b145487df27bf39a54.jpg

Next I got started on the battery boxes from 16ga steel. I'll mount these up tomorrow.

ee6751992a711f27e77adb4e3260b4f8.jpg

6d247f69289080e2993d23b36113f73f.jpg

How do those 350s run with your 1.5" exhaust? The stock pipes vary from 1 to 1.125" ID, depending where you measure, so you've increased the exhaust size by almost 50%. Obviously they have to be jetted way up, but I would think that the bottom end torque would take a big hit. I know these two aren't running yet, but I've seen your other 350 build, and assume you're going to use the same pipes.

540Nova said:
How do those 350s run with your 1.5" exhaust? The stock pipes vary from 1 to 1.125" ID, depending where you measure, so you've increased the exhaust size by almost 50%. Obviously they have to be jetted way up, but I would think that the bottom end torque would take a big hit. I know these two aren't running yet, but I've seen your other 350 build, and assume you're going to use the same pipes.

The bike ran great, but took some time to get dialed in. These, and the kits I plan on selling are going to get 1.25" tubing.

Always enjoy watching your metal work. Great job so far on these.

I need to make a couple fenders for a project I got going on, I was going to attempt roughly hammering them out with just the nylon mallet, sure I'll need to do a lot of filling. This might be the motivation I need.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

That's awesome! I have that same Mossy Oak mug, love it. I TIG welded a handle onto it.

advCo said:
Always enjoy watching your metal work. Great job so far on these.

I need to make a couple fenders for a project I got going on, I was going to attempt roughly hammering them out with just the nylon mallet, sure I'll need to do a lot of filling. This might be the motivation I need.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Get at it! I can get this same result without the e-wheel by planishing with the slapper and dolly. Just takes a little longer. I make my slapper's the old fashion way from a leaf spring. $30 at tractor supply gets you a trailer spring with enough leaves for several slappers. A nice egg dolly is about $45. For $75 you can make a lot of parts.

Back
Top Bottom