Cb360 Reassembly Help

irk miller said:
That's determined by your regulator. They produce well over 30v above 3k rpms.

I am asking because I've been looking at batteries. Most I see say "verify your charging voltage doesn't exceed 14.8v, otherwise damage to the battery may happen"

Does this mean voltage at idle then?

This means maximum voltage (at any RPM). Usually the regulator on a 360 will kick in at about 2500 RPM.

The testing method is to get the bike to idle and measure voltage across the battery terminals with a multimeter. After the engine has warmed up, slowly rev it up to about 5,000 RPM while continuing to monitor the voltage. The voltage should rise with engine speed until it reaches a maximum of about 15V with the stock regulator. If it goes past 15.5, shut things down. You have a bad regulator. For LI-ION, I prefer to see voltages at 14.5V as that gives you a little leeway. Regardless of where your final number lands, I still wouldn't use a stock regulator with a LI-ION battery.

I have literally tried every single thing imaginable to get the electric starter working. And nothing has worked.

Note: The starter works with a battery connected directly
Brand new battery.
Brand new solenoid.
New starter to solenoid wire.
Jumping it with a car.

I have completely run out of all ideas.
Anyone have any other ideas?

If all lights work, the solenoid clicks when I press the button, shouldn't it work?
Is it possible something isn't grounded? The only thing with that, is that if there was a bad ground wouldn't nothing work at all?

When you say the starter works with the battery connected directly, is that with the starter installed on the bike or removed?

OK.

I had this same problem with my CX500 a few years ago.

Get a couple of jumper wires and connect one to one of the thin wires on the solenoid and then connect the other jumper wire to the other thin wire on the solenoid.

Then, touch the jumper wires to the battery positive and negative terminals. This will bypass the wiring and starter button. If everything works, then the problem is likely to be with the starter button.

Someone brought it up on Honda Twins and looking at the wiring diagram for a stock 360 made me question it.

From the solenoid, there are two wires. One yellow/red, one green/red.
I have the red connected to the appropriate wire (cause the labels you provided said so).
But the green is grounded to frame. Is this correct?

Probably, but it depends on the controls.

Lets ignore that for now, though. Bypassing the wiring and the controls is what we want to do by using the jumper method I described a couple of posts ago.

Starter ground as in the large wire to the solenoid, or the starter ground as in the whole unit being grounded to engine?

pidjones said:
Check the starter ground not insulated by paint.

He'd mentioned earlier that the starter would work if he connected it straight to the battery and bypassed the solenoid.

The most recent test had the jumper wires bypassing the wiring and controls, so the only thing left to do is replace the solenoid.

Re: Cb360 Reassembly Help

I just mentioned it on the chance he ran both leads straight to the starter. But yeah, solenoids can and do getcha. The one on my GL1000 was intermitent.

Solenoid is brand new. I had a brand new one, so I bought another just for giggles to see. So with two brand new solenoids I still don't get anything.
Unless BOTH solenoid to starter cables I have are bad....

Because it has power going to the solenoid, it clicks (1 single time) when start button is pressed.
The starter works off of a battery.

Which means power isn't getting to the solenoid, but according to it clicking that isn't true.
So power isn't getting to the starter... and the only thing left to rule out is the cable?

Right??..
In theory, as long as it is connected to the frame I can ground anywhere I want to correct? Is there a place that is best.

I haven't checked the fuse. But I am assuming if the fuse was blown, then no power would get anywhere correct?

I mentioned this before, and I don't believe it is affecting anything. But the neutral ground wire is no longer connected because I don't have a neutral light anymore. I know it ran through the wire coming from the alternator there to the connector going in the battery box. Would this mess anything up?

Back
Top Bottom