1976 Suzuki GT550 Dust Off

First ride today, ran almost flawless... needs front brakes to really get er going, but has slight bog at the bottom, pulls like a Maico through the power, no 2-smoke "hit" to speak of. Fresh plugs, master and caliper rebuild and we'll do some more, but then it's sell it time... no need in waiting.

103383-260415125721-950426.jpeg

Looks great. Those calipers can be finicky. Dad had a 380 a few years back and held off on the rebuild. That resulted in him limping in the house and asking me to help him pick it up in the driveway. Nice bike for sure. I was actually just close too your neck of the woods. (Well Chattanooga) for a wedding. I don't think it would have fit in the impala for the ride to Ohio though haha. What will the asking price be? Don't tell my wife I'm asking haha

Yeah? I have zero brakes the master is seized and has dust type fluid.

I need to do some research for pricing it, and may take it to a few day shows and see what the buzz is.

Nice looking piece of work. I came very close to buying one years ago, but the owner was asking a bit too much for it.

Title came in the mail yesterday, I'm officially the legal owner so time to let the little green sleeper go to a good home where hopefully it won't sit in the garage and collect dust.

I have done some checking and these things are all over the board for asking price. NADA has it right at $4000 for top dollar and drops a grand for very good. Now that is all well and good but WE know these things are worth what someone will pay... eBay is out, people want shit today and something else tomorrow so the question is how to market it and get a nice price, but pass on a decent deal. Or see if some GT drooler (I fit this description, just not stock classics) will go cash in the 401K :eek:

thumb_103383-260415125721-950426.jpeg

Your bike came out great!

Here is one that just popped up on CL this morning. Lets see how long his takes to sell. If you don't want the link on here let me know and I will take it off.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/5016564821.html

M/C and calipers are really simple to work on and parts are available on line if you need them. That really came up well and stock bikes tend to sell for more than modified bikes and yours looks really good. Might be smart to fit new front brake lines though.

Caliper is the same as GT750 AFAIK but with only 1 disk it uses a different M/C

In answer to other questions that OP asked:
DG pipes are often used on T350 twins and in theory would work on a 550 but you would have to make them fit. Higgs pipes are nice and JEMCO make great pipes for a modified 550 for US based bikes.

That Draganfly web site has lots of great theories but over-thinking it for sure.

Thanks!

Yeah, it looks nice, a rider for sure. the add is fine, nothin to hide google is free.

Thanks Teazer... Rebuilt master and caliper, piston popped right out under air and rag, had a little fluid just starting to turn to crud up. The line has a tiny bit of rust in the fitting at the master but it's old so ordered one up... these are three piece lines so not cheap like a replacement Galfer off the shelf.

I found a set of NOS 750 calipers and a wheel, but I don't think it will make it sell any better, I would certainly like it myself... who knows.

I always replace 3 piece rubber lines with simple modern black covered braided lines. If the owner/buyer wants 100% originality go to Cruizinimage for lines.

Just spotted a guy on Sundial looking fro an air cooled GT Suzuki. Schelp over and see if you can sell him that beautiful bike

Had some questions about crank seals leaking. I don't think they are because it does not smoke riding or idling, but it did smoke a lot on the first start and a little cold.

I don't mind at all the idea of tearing the motor down and splitting cases, I do however run into a wall when it comes to a machine shop that still works on old smoker cranks... gonna need to break it down to replace bearings and inner seals and press it back correctly.

Anyone know a reputable source that by god loves the work, maybe a small low overhead shop??? in the $$ range not the $$$$ range :eek:

a crankcase presssure test is pretty simple do it yourself,and costs very little
kinda tedious pluuging up all the holes but you should be able to get an idear ....i woulkd do it on a recently run still warmish motor

Yep, I know how the test... pull plugs and pipes plug it all up and leak up/down each cylinder. I will do that and just ride it for a few weeks to work and see, just don't want to sell it and have a bad experience.

xb33bsa said:
better be careful smoking can be habit forming ...you mite not want to sai it

Yep, my plan on that 250 I am working on was to re sell it. Now am thinking I want to keep it, and my goal (at the moment) is to have a 185, 250, 380, 550 and 750.... oh boy, here we go

xb33bsa said:
better be careful smoking can be habit forming ...you mite not want to sai it

already made the mistake of tagging it, but in TN its like $20 plus I needed to title it.

Couple of things:

Two strokes should always smoke at least a small amount because they burn their oil.

They tend to smoke badly on start up because of oil accumulated in the crankcases and pipes.

Check the oil pump to be sure it is working

Oil seals are easy to change. Send crank to Bill Bune in MN and they will strip , clean, inspect and rebuild it with new seals.

Leakdown test is a good idea. Unlike 4 strokes it is done at only 6-8psi and it should hold that for 5 minutes or so with zero leak down.

On a Suzuki triple , remove pipes and carbs and test cylinders one at a time. Yamaha RD twins leak between cylinders with the lab seal design and have to be tested as a pair. Suzuki do not sue labyrinth seals, they use "rubber" seals and that makes it easier to test and harder to fix.

hmm doesn't seem like a bad deal... but I don't think anyone can beat the deal you got on yours

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/4961278858.html

Yep no stranger to the smokers... 1st street ride was a bare bones 74 RD125 and had many others, but never a Suzuki, not that it matters other than inner gasket type... they all run a version of roller bearing and seals so cranks are all sectioned in several pieces. The injection system is in very good repair and withe a full transfusion of Motul 800 running through.

Thanks for the Suzy tech tips, we'll run the numbers and see, might dodge shot to the wallet... like I said, it seems okay, but want to be sure.

Hurc... you better grab that deal, not much to get that looking good! or you can PM me your best offer and have a cream puff in the stable ;D

Back
Top Bottom