Left cylinder not firing at idle....

lilcb1

What would cause a cylinder to not fire during idle? The left cylinder won't get as hot as the right when its in idle. After about 5 minutes I can still touch the exhaust but the right side gets really hot. When I ride the bike for about 10 minutes around the neighborhood the left cylinder is becomes just as hot as the right. I've checked everything: ignition timing and points clearance, tappet clearance, spark plug gap. I've adjusted all of them to what the Honda Workshop manual said to. I also cleaned out the carburetors.

No, you didn't check everything.
The one thing MOST likely to cause this is the carbs being out of balance. A manometer is the correct way to balance carbs. I made one myself.

manometer3.jpg

Two vacuum gauges could do it, too.

Other things can be an intake leak, the air mixture screw out of adjustment, or a clogged idle circuit, but the very first thing that needs to be done is to balance the carbs. VERY high probability that your problem is carburetor related.

And if you are running seperate filters for seperate carbs, make sure the one for that cylinder isn't blocked.

Back
Top Bottom