Crankshaft cover stuck, Cb350

jonnymedia

Hi all.

I'm have an 1969 CB350 I'm fixing up and modifying a bit over the winter. One is the kickstart spring which must be snapped. I've removed all 10 screws surrounding the crankshaft cover, but it's not budging. Is this just stuck, or are there any connections elsewhere or within that I need to get to first?

Much appreciated everyone. This site has been a great resources even though i've never piped up.

I'm not quite visualizing this...do you already have the kick lever completely off?

Any photos?

There are a couple metal dowel pins holding it in place. They could be rusted. Have you tried smacking it with a soft rubber mallet?

Ditto on soft hammer. Also, do not get too aggressive with a screwdriver as a prybar once you start getting some clearance. Apply gentle pressure uniformly all around the perimeter of the cover...actually, I use a star pattern...lower left, upper right, lower middle, upper left, etc, etc...

Thank you everyone. Here's photos with my rubber mallet I can finally use. Ill give this approach a shot over the weekend. Really appreciate everyones input and hope this helps someone else in a search. I'll post updates, and other q's if arise.

4ac609e5-c914-3799.jpg

4ac609e5-c9b3-fe98.jpg

Older gaskets can get sealed up pretty well, too. Try a blow torch around the edges. That's the approach I had to take to get the jugs loose from the top crank case on my 360.

Back in the day, a lot of mechanics (and do-it-yourselfers) used Permatex compound on gaskets...it sealed well, and could salvage a bad gasket, but it could also set up like glue...this might be a factor in your problem... as suggested, judicious use of heat could assist with getting that cover off...

So to heck with the weekend. After some tender wacks of the mallet, a small gap became bigger and bigger until I could easily remove the cam shaft cover by hand. So, again everyone, THANK YOU.

With the cover removed, the kick start issue is glaringly apparent. The sproket is snapped. With helping future searches, I'll start a new dicussion on that topic.

Apprecaited again everyone!

Well done...now you may enter the Matrix...

I forgot to mention...India Pale Ale always helps me with tasks like this...

Back
Top Bottom