so I took a ride the other day...

Mr.E

Got to keep the loonies on the path...
Here's a short story to help pass my boredom.

I took a short ride the other day. But to get there, I had to load up my bike and drive a few hours east to Scot S and Robin's house. Why? Because all the roads between me and them suck. So I get there (yay!) And we drink beer and eat good food, and then I went to bed. Since im going for a ride the next day I need some rest..

That is our story's protagonist of sorts. All cleaned up and ready to get dirty.

And here is the asshole ducati rider. This jerk has been ghosting me all the way.

So I get up the next morning and get ready to go on my short ride. A coffee shop sounds nice. Maybe ill go there.

Hmm. Rain in on the way to the coffee shop. Time to put on the rain gear I never use. There's that asshole again, getting in my shit as usual...

I think ill stop here for the night, there's only this small dry spot left and I dont even sit this far back.

I should take a brief moment to mention that this trip is brought to you by kiley's garage, rust revival, scot and robin (awesome ppl) shinko tires, lavazza coffee, Hanes underwear, a cheap rainstorm, gold bond body powder, dry socks, wet shoes, and my signal is about to fade so thats all for now.

"Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence”

Ride on Brother ;)

Lets see, where was I? Oh yes, also brought to you by Off brand bug spray, broken sunglasses, and sand in the eyes.

Here's where I ended up. Kitty Hawk beach, NC.

As you can see, the beach is still there! Contrary to what I though for the previous 200 miles of swimming to the coast in the "chance of showers" the beach does exist.

So I found some cheap digs to dry out for the night, had the best pizza and worst beer ever (my fault) at dare devil pizza, and loaded up the next morning.

Gonna head up the coast and see what I can see.

Kitty Hawk, no shit? Where the Wright Bros. did their thing?

That's really cool! It's one of those places, like Timbuktu, that I hear about but never know anyone who's been. Keep the story coming 8)

Yep, the same kitty hawk :) I didnt take any pics at the site tho cause it was closed and it was raining. Ditto for jockeys ridge. And ichiban, you have a small part in this story. Stay tuned! Right now im in a bar in an undisclosed location.

Ok, onward and upward!

So I set out to get to that coffee shop, er, threading up the coast. Yeah, thats it. So after realizing that my sunglasses drowned the night before, I bought some more at wings (duh, yolo at the beach for realz). Joined by my trusty bubble visor (sponsored by RichArd, Biltwell and the desire to market archaic designs from yesteryear to the hipsters of today) I set out.

Wtf?! I ran out of road! Now what? No time to sit here and rust, ive got to get coffee.

Thats a big'n. Who would name a town "corolla" anyways? I mean, its a good car, but a town?

Oh yeah, coffee.

So I stopped for coffee at a coffee shop/beer garden. I was the only customer. The barista was pretty and hard to understand. That was the foamiest cappuccino ive ever had. She even offered more milk to take away some of the foam. I inquired about lodging in the area of rodanthe or salvo, and ocracoke. She said she likes to sleep out in the sand dunes with nothing else. Whatever that means. I wouldnt do that, id get crabs for sure. The dunes are loaded with them! I even hit a few with my bike. Sleep with them? Yuck.

Goodbye pretty girl from corolla. Thanks for the foam.

And now a word from our sponsors.

Mechanix gloves. Best damn gloves to lay out to dry under a net ever. Go on, give yourself a hand. Mechanix gloves.

Interesting trip E.

We need more of these ride reports here on DTT. Lead the pack.

So heading south back down the road, I passed back thru kitty hawk, nags head, saw a bunch of signs for things 10% cheaper than they are in the states everyone drove here from, and this lighthouse on bodie island.

Brought to you by rust revival. Rust revival, always a cock in the saddle.

I should take a moment to point out my alleged route for this ride to the coffee shop.

There, now you can follow along too.

Wait a minute...

This asshole just rolled up...

brink-disney-7.gif

I want to see you racing wild horses... come on... I bet that asshole on the ducati could do it..

Well, no sense in letting the ducati ruin my time, on to see the lighthouse. Im too cheap and lazy to pay for a ticket and actually climb all those stairs - what is this anyways, the spring thaw? So I walked out to the saltwater overlook and sat in the shade for a few moments. Nice view of the lighthouse from here. I sure could go for some Japanese about now..

Moving on! Since im this far down I may as well go to Hatteras. The next few towns I rode thru had a lot of recent hurricane damage. Rodanthe seemed the hardest hit. Heavy equipment had only recently uncovered the road from several feet of sand. Building sand castles with with a bulldozer is hard work, and it blocked my view of the ocean! Of well, no time to stop.

Who am I kidding, sure there is! This is somewhere on the orange line next to the blue water on the map, for all you navi nerds.

The way you have that machine loaded down, I know you get a running start from the back and frog leap into the saddle like the Lone Ranger. Just don't scream hi ho silver please. Or maybe do, might get rid of the Ducati that's been tailing you.

Your pic of one of my fave bikes on DTT inspired me to sit down on my ass and learn something new. I had recently purchased Corel Painter X3 for my daughter, and well, I decided to get busy and learn how to use it, myself.

I realize it looks like something a 2nd grader might hang on the fridge. But, heres my first attempt at using a very new, very powerful, mind numbing Paint program. It only took a couple hours to get all the clicks just so....

I call it..."godspeed my friend."

11494-270714094920.jpeg

Ha! Thanks Eric. Thats still way better than I can draw and im happy to be the subject of art impressionist or whatever thats called.

So on we go. I road on south from Bodie thru Rodanthe, Salvo, etc and was kinda surprised at the storm damage. I got to Hatteras, and decided to pull in at the lighthouse for a bit.

Yep, here's captain pasta to say elitist things at me again. Hey, at least my clutch doesnt sounds like its eating itself.

By now my bike sounds like its running a tad poor. Kinda wish I could find a friendly 24hr garage to pull into for a few.

All done at Hatteras, time to get to the ferry before the last one sails for the day.

Wow! Look at the line! Glad I got here when I did..

Well this is it. Heading to Ocracoke now, and there's a small storm brewing on the horizon. Oh goody gumdrops.

Back
Top Bottom