Keep burning up cams & rockers

draconislivida

Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem
First off, i thought i was "wrench literate" but this 360 is killing me. So far I've burned up two cams and three sets of rockers.
My most recent fubar, i noticed that there is no wear on the back side of the cam lobes...
The rockers are toast!

The only mods are: drilled larger oil passages to help oiling. And a cometic copper gasket.
I don't use a valve cover gasket, just hondabond. Though i was careful not to use too much, to avoid clogging any passages.

The lack of wear is bugging me.
ANY thoughts??

Does it run fine before the cams/rockers bite the bullet?
No wear on the back side of the lobes sounds like the might be stiction in the valve guide/oil seal, have you checked them over? Add have you checked that you're definitely getting a good amount of oil?

Pics? You probably have an oil passage clogged or a bad pump...that's about all there is to it and those things need to be checked before reassembling and running a motor.

Oil passages drilled too large and loosing oil pressure, or valves over tightened.

I wonder if the oil is dumping into the bottom end and none is getting to the top end. Did you drill out any passages to the crank?

Pics please. When you say burned up two cams, do you mean the lobes or the journals? Do the troughs have any oil in them when you open the cover? Have you pulled the side cover to inspect the pickup? How much volume of oil is there in the sump, and is it burning up on the side stand or during riding. You replaced the head gasket with a copper gasket. Is it properly annealed and showing no signs of leakage?

Also, these engines work off of volume more so than pressure.

Back
Top Bottom