Check Yer New Wheel Bearings for Grease

pacomotorstuff

Coast to Coast
Hi all,
Also posted this on the VRRA site, but seeing as not everyone goes there, might as well share the joy.
Was getting ready to install a couple sets of wheel bearings today - mine are "2RS" - ie., rubber seal on both sides and...
just for shits and giggles - and 'cause a really good bike mechanic told me to do so, 35+ years ago - I popped the seals off to check the amount of bearing grease in them.
There wasn't enough in them to fry a single French fry so I loaded them up, popped the seals back on and put them in the freezer 'til I'm ready to install them.
Bearings were from a reputable company, maybe that's the norm these days, don't know.
Would be harder to do with 2Z or ZZ bearings, which have the metal seal on either side and if you have RS or no seal bearings, you can see if they've been greased, but maybe something to look out for?
The first time I saw the bare naked wheel bearing, one of the guys was soldiering on with a Z1 superbike when it was pretty long in the tooth, said he checked every wheel bearing he got - of which there were plenty, 'cause his big old bike would eat wheel bearings (especially the fronts) and one of Saturday night's pit chores was replacing them.
Pat

Back
Top Bottom