Benelli Mojave tanks

beachcomber

TJ - Beachcomber
DTT SUPPORTER
Here's a little headsup for all you folk buying up the World stock of Mojave tanks [ mainly for TR1 Cafe Racers ].

Check out "Benelli Mojave tank" on e-bay ..............now being made in India.

The ones listed by Enfield County have been there for a while, but all the other listings are new.

Looks like they have chrome plated tanks now too. Not bad

Interesting... Though a little late on the pick up. Seems the Benelli tank craze is (thankfully ;) ) on its last leg.

They make everything in India. You can get replica Hoske / Heinrich BMW tanks too. But at $700 or so + shipping, I'm pretty sure I'd go to Junior or Sean (Roc City) for a massive BMW touring tank.... hmmm.... now that's a thought :)

VonYinzer said:
Interesting... Though a little late on the pick up. Seems the Benelli tank craze is (thankfully ;) ) on its last leg.

Hehe I was thinking the same. One of the new india listings has em up for $240. ;)

Personally I DO hope that Mojave tank supplies run out ... then maybe we'll see some free thinking about alternates. ::)

That's fucking awesome.
That dudes a boss.
I bet it's no fun after the first 10000 though haha

carnivorous chicken said:
speaking of which... seen this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTtA_MVQCss

When I was 16 or 17 I called in to the Norton works in Bracebridge Street in B'ham and one of the departments I visited was the paint shop, where there were a couple of old guys hand striping oil and petrol tanks - same sort of skill and speed involved - true artisans.

There were also a couple of apprentices there learning the craft - MANY years later I came across one of them, who by that time was running his own signmaking business - still using all the old skills. Sadly, by the time his son took over the business it was all computer and self adhesive plastic ! I did persuade him to stripe a couple of tanks for me [ Jota, Rocket Goldie ], but they were virtually one offs - although he had lost none of his old skills despite being nearly 80 !

VonYinzer said:

Well looks like I am resurrecting an old thread... but wanted to comment by saying that while you may lament the use of the Benelli Mojave tanks, I find it difficult to see what alternatives there are when a person is looking for super clean lines from tank thru seat to rear light.

The look of the Benelli tank is superb in this respect. I know they are ubiquitous and I would rather use something else, but what else should/can I use? I am reviving this thread in part as an attempt to gather some advice on an alternatives... so please recommend away!

A couple of my favourite examples of there use (on two bikes that were given HIDEOUS stock tanks when aiming for a café look):

Attachments

• yamaha-virago-XV750-cafe-racer-wallpaper-2.jpg
    yamaha-virago-XV750-cafe-racer-wallpaper-2.jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 21,932
  • 20_04_2013_tin_shack_suzuki_gs_750_01.jpg
    20_04_2013_tin_shack_suzuki_gs_750_01.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 10,603
I think the narrowing of the tank as it meets the seat is almost mandatory for good café lines, but the GS405E tank as always been a winner, to me.

HolyRoller said:
Well looks like I am resurrecting an old thread... but wanted to comment by saying that while you may lament the use of the Benelli Mojave tanks, I find it difficult to see what alternatives there are when a person is looking for super clean lines from tank thru seat to rear light.

so please recommend away!

Please don't misunderstand my thoughts on the use of the Mojave tanks. In our game I have always understood the raison d'etre behind what we do - is to be INDIVIDUAL ...DIFFERENT ......PUT OUR OWN STAMP ON A BIKE.

That's precisely what Doc did with his first 750 Virago - and it looked the bollox. However, you can only be unique once - everything that follows is pure let's all be different together, and we end up with dozens of Doc bike Clones [ sincerest form of flattery and all that ].

The Benelli tank does look right - no question, and it suits a variety of frame layouts. I get what you are saying about the unbroken horizontal line ........... how about taking the stock TR1 tank, losing the curve underneath [ also ALL the swage lines ], raising the rear [ common practice now ] .. that will give the same lines. Maybe accent the knee indents a la Goldie, 7R, etc, maybe a Monza flip cap ......................

However, when I see a bike with the Mojave tank - that is the first thing I "see".

Now then, we in the day were just as guilty in retrospect - Manx, Goldie Triumph and Metisse tanks were the options - but we WERE trying to copy the race track bikes of the day [ see that deft get out of jail card there ? ]

Without the skills [ or funds ] to make our own tank styles, it comes down to modifying what is already available.

On the TR1 / Virago [ specific ] you are faced with that really deep front frame section and wide / high rear.

Yes, you could modify the tunnel on a different tank - Pat over at Pacomotors has modified a Duke tank, I knitted up an AJS 7R influenced shape moulded direct onto an OEM TR1 tank, and now I'm onto an alloy Rickman Metisse tank from the era. A good look over a Metisse frame showed that although tubular, the actual shape of the frame was similar to the TR1 ........

When I found an extremely cheap [ relative ! ] Metisse alloy tank on E-Bay, that was my cue to try it out.

Fortunately by simply removing the forward brackets on the tank - it dropped straight on [ 'ish ].

ALL that said - I am going for a traditional 60's Cafe Racer look . The Mojave tank updates the Cafe Racer genre from the 60's, along with USD forks, etc.,etc. and suits the more modern era.

As to suggesting an alternate ? My knowledge of Japanese bikes is very sketchy - but there is bound to be something out there ?

What about some of the less popular European stuff? Moto Guzzi, Ducati ....... I always thought a Vincent Shadow tank [ the "banana" one ] would look good, especially with the Vee motor.

Then there's always your domestic GRP tank manufacturers - some I see are claiming the fit to be "universal" ?

Greetings Beachcomber...

Thanks for the reply. That tank pictured in that last post.. which of the several you mentioned it that? Are they readily available?

The problem for me is that while I have been around bikes for a while, I would be significantly intimidated with regards to tearing apart and altering a tank.. I would be more comfortable modifying a tube frame. I am eager to learn however....

I love the fact that café racing is about individuality, but as you mentioned, you end up in the "different together' club. The other issue is that with the absolute explosion going on in café racer building combined with the ever available audience afforded by social media and the internet.... being individual is becoming a very difficult and challenging thing.

HR

The tank shown is the part finished buck I made based directly on a stock TR1 [ Virago ] tank.

My original plan was to take a set of moulds and then produce a clamshell device that simply covered the stock tank. Thus eliminating the Ethanol problem if I produced them in GRP.

My welding / patternmaking [ steel ] skills are virtually non-existent, but I do have the patience to create something using filler and foam. It took a couple of weekend's work to get that far with the buck.

Metisse tanks are still somewhat scarce, but are widely available in the UK in GRP .. not so many in alloy.

WeberKid said:
my royal enfield tank came from india. no regrets here.

Hey...
Thanks for the input. Could you tell me which maker or manufacturer you bought from? I would really appreciate it.

HR

NORRANUTHAFUGGINMOJAVETANK.

here's an alternate - readily available. This one's off my KZ750T Flat Tracker here sat on my spare TR1 frame. I imagine other Kawasaki tanks from the era will also fit

Back
Top Bottom