Moving from Chicago to Atlanta, how to ship?

snmavridis

Gettin my life together. One bolt. At a time.
Hey guys, on the first week of August I'm moving from Chicago to Atlanta and I have a couple ideas how to ship my bike. I just want to gauge your opinions.

Option 1) rent a uhaul trailer and drive it down to Atlanta. Drawback: the vehicle would be a Volvo s60 or a Honda civic.

Option 2) uShip. Drawback: I've heard a lot of shady things about their quality.

Anyone here have any experience with either method or any better ideas? Now remember. My parents aren't thrilled about the motorcycle at all, so they aren't helping me fund the shipping. Think cost effective guys. I'm a poor college student.

That's about 600 miles, what kind of shape is your 550 Honda in? It's a hard days ride, are you up on the maintenance? A plan in the event of a breakdown, such as a flat?

I vote truck or trailer. How are you moving your other possessions? Strap her down in a box truck with your furniture? Make it a double whammy. If it were my bike I would rather be the one doing the strapping and driving. Just my preference. Also that s60 has plenty of power to tow. They tow big campers with those things in europe. Americans are just more prone to the truck only mentality.

images
bikerack.jpg
][/img]

ABF U Pack. You rent as much trailer as you need to fill, then they load the rest with Freight. You put a wall between your stuff and the freight. I've used them on 3 moves. How well things ship depends on how well you pack the trailer and how well things are wrapped. They also do the smaller pod-like trailers. You could also rent a truck that loads the bike and tows the Volvo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sell it for cheap to someone in Chicago... really cheap..

I happen to be in the northern burbs... (I would ask why you are leaving.. but after this winter I only ask that you take me with you)

If you end up having to ship it, I used Federal once and it worked out cool. USHip bids it out to the lowest dude I believe, like on that fake TV show.

Appreciate all the input guys, as always. And I'm not selling this thing, haha. It's too valuable to me. So much learning being done that it's worth my investment in knowledge alone.

buy a harbor freight trailer. put a 3/4" plywood deck on and bolt a HF wheel chock on it and tow it with your civic, it has a 1000 lb rating and the HF trailer and bike would come in around 850-900lbs so no issues. then you have the trailer for going to buy your next project in Atlanta.

I ship freight every day, I get the best possible rates from professional carriers.

Going from a random guess of a zip in Chicago, to a random guess in Atl with a lift gate at pickup and delivery you're looking at $304.64 from roadrunner.

That's assuming you build a high quality crate around it.

Try this shipping company, they are ahead of the competition :)

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=db9d7c7979ec" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back
Top Bottom