Hi From Australia CB350

Ordered some new aluminium rims today.

Front will be 18" x 2.15" laced up to Harley hub re-using the existing chromed spokes from the 19" rim with a washer under the nipple.

Rear will be 18" x 3.0" laced up to the Honda hub re-using the old Honda spokes which will be re-chromed.

Both will be anodised black. At this stage I will not be divulging the cost of the 2 hubs because I haven't yet managed to fully recover from the shock. :eek: Easily the biggest expense so far. Not sure what tyres I'll be using but plenty of time to worry about that.

Meanwhile, first mock up of the engine all put together.

DSC_5819.jpg

DSC_5818.jpg

Hopefully will have it properly bolted together this weekend.

Thanks for the spoke link Swivel! I'm learning all the time. Who would have thought there was so much to a spoke?! I gathered that using a washer under the nipple may be problematic. I assume the washer would have to be cupped. A forum member here (forgotten who) has re-used spokes with washers when changing from a Harley 19" rim to 18" so I'm hoping to be able to do the same. Guess I'll see when the rim arrives!

Is cutting a thread on a spoke any different to cutting any other kind of thread? What I mean is can't I just clean up the threads on my existing Honda spokes with a standard die of the appropriate size before re-chroming? Or does the chroming process itself damage the thread? In which case, can't I just run a die over the thread after chroming? Thx for your input

How much more expensive is it to just get new spokes as opposed to getting your old ones re-chromed? I can't imagine it being that much more??

"Every day is a school day",....for your entire life.......

Ain't that the truth!

Thanks for all the info Swivel. I haven't specifically priced re-chroming my spokes. I have some other parts that have been machined up for my frontend (axle, nut and spacers) that need to be coated in something to stop them rusting and I thought I'd get them chromed and while I was at it get the spokes done also. When the time comes I'll look a little more closely at the costing, it may well be cheaper to buy some new ones from Thailand or wherever the hell they come from. I just worry a bit that they'll arrive and they're the wrong length, wrong gauge, wrong thread, wrong bend or wrong something other bloody thing!! At least I know the spokes I've got fit

Won't be powder coating anything. Two pack spray for the frame, spray can for all the frame parts and anodising for the rims (which hopefully are a work in progress as we speak). I take your point regarding the reversibility of a powder coat rather than anodise but I figure that you're guaranteed a good finish with anodising of a new rim and if you change your mind on the colour after you've made your decision, well too bad!

Awesome looking tool by the way! 8)

Swivel said:
I had three cop cars and two bike cops chase me down a street one day and I did a massive perfect full throttle wheelie at about 80MHP through a dip drain trying to get away and they cornered me at the T.A bit of a pitiful whine and saying my grandma lives in the country and she's going to die,etc worked a treat. Of course she was going to die, sometime........, she was eighty! They let me go scott free and even forgot to give me the ticket that was the reason the bike cop wanted me to stop in the first place! Never lie if you ever get to court,but any distortion, half-truth or just plain idiocy is fine in dealing with cops. They are merely our servants and the court’s errand boys after all, a point that you should remind them of on every occasion.Cops.You gotta love em,....no,wait thats their wives you gotta love,....while they are on patrol!

You should change you name to drivel ;)

I had a HUGE MAJOR victory today! After 40 years the rear sprocket and the rear hub are no longer joined at the hip, no longer peacefully co-existing, happily rusting together, occupying the same coordinates of the time-space continuum. Yes they are now 2 completely separate entities! ;D ;D ;D One soon to be restored to it's the former glory (ie the hub), the other has made it's way to sprocket heaven.

I can't tell you the trouble this sprocket has given me getting it off. WD40, degreaser, rust dissolver, large screwdriver levers, angle grinder, hardened steel wedges, 5 weeks of soaking in toxic corrosive shit, several hundred brutal blows with a moderate sized sledge hammer and it simply dropped off. Easy really!!
DSC_5820.jpg

To prove the perversity of the laws of motorcycle mechanics, it had the last laugh by managing to draw blood as my hammer blows became more feverish and crazed
DSC_5821.jpg

But it's all good! I won! 8) 8) 8) I am a legend. I am the ruler of the universe. I can remove the sprocket of a CB350 with my bare hands and large tools. What I did out there in the garage today, to paraphrase Maximus, will echo in eternity.

No worries Neevo they're all out now ;D Not sure why but two of those little arm things came off with the sprocket and two stayed in the hub but that's what happened. Nothing a set of vice grips couldn't deal with.

Problem now is, the threads on those little arms for the sprocket nuts are trashed. Not sure how that happened, I don't think it would have been the bashing they received! :p :p They are 10x1.25mm and I don't have a die that size. They may be a little too far gone to even clean up the thread but I'll give it a try after a little trip down to the hardware.

By the way I have now encountered the most horrifying moment an amateur motorcycle mechanic can experience :-[ My cases are back together and I have found a part that I can't identify. It's clean enough that I think it's an internal engine part. I just hope it's from the top end :( :(

Can anyone ID this from a CB350??

DSC_5826.jpg

That's a great resource Swivel, thanks for posting it. It'll probably take a while to search through it all to find my part but it's a start

Good to hear ducatiboy. At least the new sprocket bolts are not too expensive.

Bummer about the extra bit, got my fingers crossed it some innocuous external part.

Found it!! Number 3 in this diagram looks like it. Holds the starter motor sprocket on. Easy fix :)

starting-motor-cb350k4-australia_bigma000148e12_24db.gif

Good news everybody!

Good to hear its an easy fix. Pity the same is not true vs Sri Lanka.

Like a small lost child which has now been found... safe, tucked into bed, warm and snug, back where she belongs my little lost orphaned part has also found it's way back to where it truly belongs, snug under the left side cover, using it's well shaped little arms to locate the starter gear to stop it from wandering. It is a truly moving moment and I'm starting to tear up with sheer emotion. I couldn't help but share a photo of the beauty of it...
DSC_5871.jpg

Got a lot done today! After mounting a basketball hoop and backing board on the garage, adjusting my neighbours rear shock preload and compression damping, adjusting another neighbours son's rear brake pedal, hanging a new net on the new basketball hoop and shooting some hoops I managed to get the engine completely back together and bolted up!

Is there anything more exciting than getting your engine all back together? Well yes actually but only just.

Pistons and cylinders snugly back together
DSC_5831.jpg

Had to grind out the pin of the worn out little wheel of the cam chain tensioner to put the new polyamide sprocket in
DSC_5827-1.jpg

Big wheel connected to little wheel to keep cam chain tight
DSC_5830-1.jpg

The cam chain tensioner housing in all it's newly painted glory
DSC_5872.jpg

The spring in the tensioner is fully compressed when installed. Absolutely no more room in the little housing. The cam chain is real tight. I assume this means that as the chain wears and stretches there is plenty of adjustment in the tensioner to keep the chain tight. Anyway, it all looks good mounted
DSC_5877.jpg

Rockers ready to rock
DSC_5878.jpg

Don't know if it's important if all these things go back in where they came from but I labelled them anyway
DSC_5884.jpg

Left side done
DSC_5885.jpg

Right side done
DSC_5887.jpg

Everything smothered in this stuff
DSC_5888.jpg

When I wake up at 3 o'clock in the morning wondering if I've set the cam shaft up 180 degrees out, here's a photographic evidence to reassure myself that I've got it right. Why Mr Honda didn't design this thing so it could only go together the right way, I don't know
DSC_5890.jpg

DSC_5891.jpg

Mr Honda also specifies a torque setting for the bolts that hold the cam sprocket onto the cam shaft but forgot to leave room to get a torque spanner access to the bolts. Not having bought new bolts as recommended and mindful of the disaster awaiting should a bolt come loose, I used thread locking compound and lock wire. That ought to hold it
DSC_5892.jpg

Torqued to 14 ft-lb
DSC_5893.jpg

DSC_5894.jpg

And FINISHED ;D ;D ;D I am one happy camper!!
DSC_5895.jpg
DSC_5896.jpg

Hey DrJ! You asked the same question a couple of pages back! Must have short term memory loss ;)

It was from ebay along with brass swing arm bushes from the ebay seller Pawelzak

Haha, guess I didn't see your response the first time. Thanks for the lead. Bike's looking good.

Just bought one, all the way from Poland of all places. Added bonus, includes a new roller bearing.

Hey that's great! Glad I could help. Not the cheapest little piece of plastic...

Back
Top Bottom