1988 Ducati 900 Super Sport Cafe Racer

Whoa! Some great ideas and solutions here guys! Damn. This is helping big time.
I'm going to summarise from your posts how I think the next mockup is going to go:

Swagger: Thanks for taking the time to make up that image: It works. So we don't need to modify the angle of the subframe, we simply make the seat a little taller, and the angle changes as it covers the subframe with a tapered underside which mounts to the tubing. Smart. Catbird, not quite following you? Are you also saying this?

Front forks: Can *maybe* get away with mounting them higher in the tripple clamp, as opposed to the expensive shortening exercise. Good one Tetter. It may be a little too much above the tripple clamp for the desired ride height, but maybe we find a compromise? Definitely worth trying. Dude! nice. :)

Exhaust: Bring up the angle, as you say Teaser, probably parallel with the angle of the subframe for some nice clean flowing lines. Use more stock cans, and shorten - love that idea eyhonda. Ive seen that on Monsters and do like it a lot. (Ive had two Monsters over the years (400 and 696) and loved them both).

Thanks to *everyone* here for the really insightful and constructive discussion going on: its going a long way in resolving the plan!

THat would work, yeah, but I'd personally be too lazy to make a whole new seat and tend to project this onto others. :D

Basically, the gist of what both of us were trying to say, is that you can reduce the banana factor by adjusting the shape of the *bottom* of the tailpiece to sort of flatten out that back-end line.

No sweat amigo, it's a neat project.
I raised the front of the seat to lessen the crotch-cramp from being wedged against the tank.

Just had a look at the Airtech site. http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/

They've got some nice stuff for the 900SS (1977-80), which is the style I think I'm after here.

Fairing:

Ducati 900 SS Half fairing - 8" opening
DUC91%7E2.JPG

Ducati 900 SS Half fairing - 7" opening
DUC917%7E1.JPG

The upside to a fairing is I dont have to clean up the front, move the gauges, make up a new bracket etc.
The downside is, I kinda like the naked look a touch more.
Didn't see any screens on the site, but Im sure that wont be to much of a problem.

Tails:

Ducati 900SS seat
duc92.jpg

Bonneville / Thruxton Manx conversion seat with number plates
TB8M2R%7E1.jpg

This appears to be a similar seat that the Union guys may have used. I prefer the Union seat, it doesn't flare up slightly at the rear.

One of the guys in Union is Brethren who owns Glass from the Past here in Oregon. He's got the fairing with screen for $300 and since he built the glass bits for theirs.....he can likely provide just the seat you need...

Thats interesting. How could I get hold him? Shoot him an email off their site?

Re: Re: 1988 Ducati 900 Super Sport Cafe Racer

[quote Paid $1250.00 for it.
[/quote]

Not sure whether to be happy for you or to hate you!!!
Just kidding man. Great buy, can't wait to see how she turns out.

Dale said:
Ducati 900 SS Half fairing - 7" opening
DUC917%7E1.JPG

The upside to a fairing is I dont have to clean up the front, move the gauges, make up a new bracket etc.
The downside is, I kinda like the naked look a touch more.

My point exactly
It will be so muche easier if you do not need to move all the electrics etc, and still it's a very cool look.

( I still have my CB for the "naked" rides http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=33182.0 )

EDIT:
Not sure about the shipping costs to you, but I have seen all parts I want for a very fair price on a German site.
( no worries the have an english button )
The fairing for example is €75,- :eek: the windsreen is also available in smoke, and i have seen a Norton seat with the number plates you like.
http://www.ricambiweiss.de/product_info.php/info/p548_DR75R-GFK-DUCATI-IMOLA-MOTO-GUZZI-RENNVERKLEIDUNG.html/XTCsid/849a288ml4ekresoel8dt3n762

Looks like a fun project but I have a couple comments...

I don't think that's a 1988 900ss. IIRC if it were an '88 it would be a 750 Sport an would have 16" wheels. I'm guessing what you really have is a 1990 900ss? Not that it matters really but if you start looking for parts it might.

I'm not sure how much thought you've put into dropping the front end 50mm? 50mm is a huge change in geometry. Maybe you've considered that already, I don't know, but you definitely should. Also, It looks like there is supposed to be an oil cooler hanging down off the frame that you've removed? Where are you going to put it? Some SuperSports have it mounted low off the rocker cover but I'm not sure if that would help or hurt you in this case. I don't have a 900ss to look at anymore but my guess is if you drop the front end 2" and then compress the forks the tire will rub on the head?

Not trying to flame you or rain on your parade but having played around with Ducatis for a while now this sounds like a risky idea...

http://caferacingparts.com/
info@caferacingparts.com

Bret's a good kat, tell him I sent you.

Great thanks Swagger! The fact that they did one of these bikes will mean they've got some solutions ironed out...

Tetter, that's a great resource as well... appreciate the info, and will be looking into this as well...

Desmodog - it says 1988 on the title. But if you know your history (which I don't), then perhaps this was a typo, or maybe one of the first bikes released.. ? Dunno. I'm assuming there's some online directory I can check my frame and engine numbers against? Interesting, Thanks for the info.

With regards geometry, sure, I was thinking about the affects it would have. It will definitely make the ride twitchier. Interesting that you bring this up, as I raised the forks in the tripple clamp by exactly 50mm today, and took it for a ride as a test. As far as clearances go, no problem whatsoever. With regards handling - no standouts, but it wasn't a fast twisty run, and I had only ridden the bike once with the forks in normal position.

Here's a pic of the bike today with the forks positioned higher up in the tripple clamp giving a lower ride height. The end of the subframe and exhaust hanger / footpeg mount is photoshoped out where I'm planning on cutting...

I think its already starting to look the part...

Desmodog, you'll notice Ive photoshoped the oil cooler down under the cylinder head, and I'm not seeing a clearance problem there when the forks are fully compressed... You'll see that its current stock position is under the headlight...

Ducati_900_ss_C01.jpg

Re: Re: 1988 Ducati 900 Super Sport Cafe Racer

cyclefreak said:
Not sure whether to be happy for you or to hate you!!!
Just kidding man. Great buy, can't wait to see how she turns out.

He he, yup it was a good deal for sure!

Chances are, Bret can put you in touch with the kat that made the fairing stay too, though you may have that covered already.

Your 'chop really does show the potential....

Just got an email from Union after asking about the 900ss cafe seat. No parts available, only complete bikes.

DesmoDog said:
I don't think that's a 1988 900ss. IIRC if it were an '88 it would be a 750 Sport an would have 16" wheels. I'm guessing what you really have is a 1990 900ss? Not that it matters really but if you start looking for parts it might.

Ok, just did a quick search - couldn't find anywhere where I could enter my frame number etc for a manufacturing date, (If any of you guys knows where I can find this please post up the link - will be much appreciated).

But I did find this: http://motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/classic_bikes/ducati-900ss-gallery.php

The motorcycle I have is more than likely a 1989 model: See image - same frame and components.

1989-900-ss.jpg

What probably happened was - the motorcycle Ive got was probably on the first production run and released in the latter half of 1988 - and on a model year -- that would be 1989. So I think its fair to surmise that it was manufactured in 1988, hence the title?

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ducati_SuperSport

"Ducati SuperSport and SS (1988–2007)

From 1988 to 1991, the model was called a 900 SuperSport, and had a full fairing. The 1989 Supersport received a revised air/oil cooled motor from the 906cc Ducati Paso incorporating many changes to the Pantah motor, including a six-speed gear box. From 1989 to 1990 the motorcycle was fitted with a Marzocchi rear suspension, then first changed to Showa, and then to better quality Marzocchi damping in 1990. Marzocchi M1BB front forks were used until 1993, when they were replaced by Showa upside down units. The Marelli Digiplex ignition was used in early models, and then replaced by a Kokusan ignition."

Getting close to final mockup and plan I think.

Ducati_900_ss_C01.jpg

Ducati_900_ss_C02.jpg

And if there's budget left over to shorten the forks...

Ducati_900_ss_C03.jpg

Ok, a couple more suggestions. The front fender. It looks a little heavy; kind of a "touring" fender. I use one from an 848. I'm not sure if it will fit. It has more of a slimmer cut back look.

Second, see if you can reroute the oil lines away from covers. Open covers (belt, clutch & sprocket) look and sound cool. I just cut mine open and painted them. Free!

Just a thought. Otherwise, it looks quite muscular and fit at the same time. I really like it (except the front fender)!

Dale said:
Desmodog - it says 1988 on the title. But if you know your history (which I don't), then perhaps this was a typo, or maybe one of the first bikes released.. ? Dunno. I'm assuming there's some online directory I can check my frame and engine numbers against? Interesting, Thanks for the info.

With regards geometry, sure, I was thinking about the affects it would have. It will definitely make the ride twitchier. Interesting that you bring this up, as I raised the forks in the tripple clamp by exactly 50mm today, and took it for a ride as a test. As far as clearances go, no problem whatsoever. With regards handling - no standouts, but it wasn't a fast twisty run, and I had only ridden the bike once with the forks in normal position.

Hmm... shows you what I know. I was pretty sure that was a one year only bike, but to be honest I don't know much about them between about 1974 and 1991. Sounds like you're ok on clearance in the front too. The forks on that must be kicked out a bit further than the later bikes? The mounts I saw must have been for the fairing and not the cooler?

Anywhos, like I said it does look like a fun project. The two valve 900s are fun bikes to ride and sound great. Your mockup makes me giggle, which is a good thing. 8)

Back
Top Bottom