Another CB360 build

sbaugz

DTT BOTM winner
So I picked up a CB360 on craigslist locally over the winter and started a build. Not sure why this model is so popular these days. Seems like everyone is building one.
Unfortunately I did not take any real 'before' pics, but it was pretty rusty and missing lots of parts. It had a CL360 tank on it. My plan was to originally build a tracker style, but I found this really nice seat on ebay and decided to go with a cafe build instead.

Parts purchased so far:
black drag bar
new clutch and brake perches from DCC (getting rid of all stock hand controls)
CM400 shocks
duro tires front and rear
CL360 drum brake setup for front in place of disc setup from CB (I know it sounds crazy but I wanted simplicity)
MAC 2-into-1 pipe
all new seals, bearings and gaskets for bike
new top triple clamp (original was cracked)
K&N air filter PODs
new/used headlight (mine was broken)
new clutch lever spindle (mine was stripped)
new gauge faces on order

Here is my plan:

finish stripping engine and paint it black.

finish stripping frame and paint it black.

use the MAC 2-into-1 pipe as seen in pics

strip and re-paint the CB360 tank

cut off frame tabs and get the seat pan to sit down on the frame rails.

mount and balance the duro tires on my black powder coated wheels.

decided to go with drag bars (two other bikes I own have low slung clip-ons, so I want to save my back on this build).

will use stock front foot rests instead of rearsets (see comment above)

Some thanks need to go out to crazypj for rebuilding my carbs.

More to follow soon, I hope.

For those of you who are curious- the second to last picture shows my CB200 engine and spare CB200 frame.

IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0260-1.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

Re: I know its hard to believe- but another CB360 build

My last bike was a cb200. I should have kept her but i was wringing its neck :eek:
I'm doing a 360 build as well 8)

Attachments

• cb200.jpg
    cb200.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 370

This is great; I'm watching this closely. I want to do this to my CB250. I finally got it running great, and I can't beat the gas mileage, but I want it to look good.

Stribo said:
My last bike was a cb200. I should have kept her but i was wringing its neck :eek:
I'm doing a 360 build as well 8)

I am currently building a cb200 too. Your 200 looks real nice.

some more pictures.
I mocked up the wheels and plan on marking and cutting the front fender down. I like the look of the black drag bars and the new, simplified hand controls and perches. I know the headlight is too high- I just threw it on there quickly and didn't even mess with height on it. Pipes are Mac 2-into-1.
I am a little bummed about this tank- picked it up on ebay and the guy said there was one dent on top. Unfortunately it has about 7 dents all over. I wanted to polish or powder coat this tank, but it looks like I won't be able to do that with all the dents. I might keep looking for a dent free cb360 tank in the meantime. Anyone have any thoughts about dealing with dents and still being able to polish the tank and leave bare metal?

IMG_0308.jpg

IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0279.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

Don't be so worried about the dents. It adds character. 8) To the polished look. Here's a snap of mine.I was planning to bog/bondo and paint it but i think it looks great so i 'll leave it for now.It even has blobs of weld where someone has tried to pull the dents. ;D
Your bike is looking great!

Attachments

• IMAG0106.jpg
    IMAG0106.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 341

Are you leaving your frame bare metal?

Stribo said:
Are you leaving your frame bare metal?

Was going to paint it black but now that you mention it looks kinda cool bare metal
Probably will still do black

Stribo said:
Don't be so worried about the dents. It adds character. 8) To the polished look. Here's a snap of mine.I was planning to bog/bondo and paint it but i think it looks great so i 'll leave it for now.It even has blobs of weld where someone has tried to pull the dents. ;D
Your bike is looking great!

Looks nice just not sure I can leave it all dented up- I feel like I would always be looking at those dents and getting pissed at the guy who sold it to me on eBay for misrepresenting the item

Do you know the name of the seller you got your seat from? Looks great!

Dragonfish said:
Do you know the name of the seller you got your seat from? Looks great!

here is a link to a current auction he has:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAFE-RACER-FIBERGLASS-SEAT-ROAD-RACE-HONDA-YAMAHA-SUZUKI-BSA-NORTON-TRIUMPH-/120880060088?_trksid=m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7168763276142031920

He usually lists several seats at a time. Even though each listing is slightly different, they are all basically the same seats except the one he lists for the CB200/175, which is a little longer and you can cut it down. Anyways, the quality is top notch.

His ebay username is
j-rod10

Looking good, keep at it. dont cut that front fender too short right off the bat. just take off a couple inches and take a look at it on the bike, then keep going inch at a time. I cut mine down to the nubs and didnt like it so short, I tried for a year to get used to it. never did grow on me. I got another from ebay a few weeks ago and tried again. its a couple inches longer and I like the look a whole lot better. Also if you have trouble w carbs crazypj is the man. I fought my carbs for a long time. crazypj helped me make it right. runs amazing now.

trek97 said:
Looking good, keep at it. dont cut that front fender too short right off the bat. just take off a couple inches and take a look at it on the bike, then keep going inch at a time. I cut mine down to the nubs and didnt like it so short, I tried for a year to get used to it. never did grow on me. I got another from ebay a few weeks ago and tried again. its a couple inches longer and I like the look a whole lot better. Also if you have trouble w carbs crazypj is the man. I fought my carbs for a long time. crazypj helped me make it right. runs amazing now.

pj actually rebuilt mine for me. We worked out a trade for some pipes I had for his services. Thanks for the advice.

Re: Another CB360 build- tires mounted.

Got my Duro tires mounted and the wheels back from powder.
I just wanted to get an overall feel for look of bike.

Headlight needs to be lowered.

seat pan needs to be shortened.

frame needs to be de-tabbed and modified to fit seat pan.

Not sure what I am going to do about tank. I really wanted a polished CB360 bare metal tank but i cannot seem to find one without dents. I am on my third CB360 tank. I keep buying them on ebay from people who claim no dents, and they are full of dents when I get them. Frustrating!

I have a dent-free CL360 tank I could use but I don't really like that tank. By the way, that's my CB200 in the background. Check out the link to that build thread at bottom of my posts.

P1060416.jpg

P1060431.jpg

P1060415.jpg

P1060414.jpg

P1060413.jpg

P1060439.jpg

Let me take a look at home but i think i do have a truly dent free tank at home sitting on the shelf! ill let you know!

imjustanumber11 said:
Let me take a look at home but i think i do have a truly dent free tank at home sitting on the shelf! ill let you know!

Please take a look and lmk
Thanks

forks and rims look great did you powder coat them ?

trek97 said:
forks and rims look great did you powder coat them ?

forks painted with epoxy appliance paint .

Wheels, hubs, spokes, and drums all powder coated matte black.

Back
Top Bottom