1978 Suzuki GS750 racer project

Thanks Johnny & downeaster.

Yeah Chuck they're a little friendlier to cafe racers over here. Can't blame the GS guys though, probably less than 10% of the cafe builds posted over there ever get past the owner's excitement. Both great forums though.

Have not thought much about the exhaust yet. Once everything is back together and tuned right, I'll go from there.

Rather than chop the frame ends about, use them to mount winkers and numberplate/rearlight perhaps? They look ideal for that.

That's a good idea NoRiders but I worry how I could blend them into the seat cowl and make it look right.

More goodies from the powder coat shop today. Triples in gloss black and some engine covers in flat. I'm going for a mix of black & polished aluminum on the motor.

A8840AC5-822B-4493-90AF-75AA8F293BA6.jpg

I believe I found the burgundy I'm after. It's called Lollypop Red over Cool Charcoal. Burgundy was the original color of the bike in case you missed that earlier. I'd like to include the original color somehow.

59553B52-5ED2-4416-8BBB-8E59602722C2_1.jpg

I think doing the wheel hubs in red and the wheels in just the Cool Charcoal (below) would be a great combination. Plus it would give me two other color options if I want to add any accents anywhere else.

8FF47F34-BA17-48D6-A1FF-50A2012F968A.jpg

Found a racer with a paint scheme that's close to what I had in mind. The red more of a burgundy of course. Not to mention its a pretty damn nice racer for inspiration.

9A7B36A6-1ACF-452A-BE74-FCCC5BCC56F8_1.jpg

137A551B-EC05-4329-8C03-9D567715EC44.jpg

Weasel said:
That's a good idea NoRiders but I worry how I could blend them into the seat cowl and make it look right.

More goodies from the powder coat shop today. Triples in gloss black and some engine covers in flat. I'm going for a mix of black & polished aluminum on the motor.

A8840AC5-822B-4493-90AF-75AA8F293BA6.jpg
That's going to look sweet

Handlebars are probably not going to fit.

Should never powder the insides of the clamping area on anything, including the triples.

You need to think the powdercoat prep through a little more.

downeaster said:
That's going to look sweet

Thanks downeaster. It's cool to see these old, crusty parts brought back to life.

Appreciate the input Dohc. I did spend some time on prep, taping off the triple neck, the gasket areas and all the threads. Didn't think about the clamping areas. Is it because of the smooth finish or losing diameter from the PC?

Weasel said:
Didn't think about the clamping areas. Is it because of the smooth finish or losing diameter from the PC?

You are losing diameter with the PC coating.

Depending on the thickness you might be lucky, but probably not.

Ok. I know I'll be fine on the thickness on the fork tubes, the trees had a TON of room when I loosened the bolts. The bar clamps however may need a little Dremel grind. Good to know for future reference, thanks.

DohcBikes said:
That doesnt make it right.

Ok, you've established that. I appreciate the criticism so I can learn but without any input beyond pointing out what I did wrong, I won't learn much. What would make it right? Why is it wrong if there's room for the tubes?

Weasel said:
Ok, you've established that. I appreciate the criticism so I can learn but without any input beyond pointing out what I did wrong, I won't learn much. What would make it right? Why is it wrong if there's room for the tubes?

My .02. You want pretty much metal to metal there where the tree clamps on to the forks. The "grab" will be better and less likely to slip or wear in unexpected ways.

DohcBikes said:
I don't need some internet dick telling me I "fucked up" because of the way I built a bike. Noone does.

Thanks canyon carver. I appreciate your input. That makes sense and the reason I originally asked for an explanation if it was a clearance or a smooth finish issue. Nice to have a forum where we can learn things and understand reasons why or why not to do something.

The clamps usually have some striations that interconnect with the bar knurl and keep the bars from slipping. PC can fill these over. Dremel can make this worse. Use a cold chisel to make a few upsets on the surface.

Weasel, for gods sake mate, don’t ask why!! Just stand at the bottom of the cliff and capture the seeds of knowledge that fall from the tree of ever knowing knowledge!
Like Canyon and red said, clamping efficiency will be reduced, if these were a tight fit, you could run into issues reassembling them, but you have that sorted from your previous comments.
That paint scheme looks real nice! Two tone looks fast standing still.
Keep building, keep asking, keep learning mate, there is members here that are more than happy to lend you thoughts and ideas without being holier than thou with their replies and comments.

Weasel said:
I appreciate the criticism so I can learn but without any input beyond pointing out what I did wrong, I won't learn much.
Am I your only resource? I pointed you in the right direction because of something i saw immediately. You are welcome.

Weasel said:
Nice to have a forum where we can learn things and understand reasons why or why not to do something.
I have posted quite a bit of helpful information on this forum.

If I hadn't mentioned it, during my time, at zero cost to you, it actually is possible that none of these NICE folks would have.

Of course, they are very knowledgable, and as you can see are also very capable of filling you in on the details of the defect that I brought to your attention.

By gosh, some of them may have even used, gasp, their own research abilities, and found the answers to your concerns from a remote source...I know it's some heavy stuff to process but you'll make it. Again, you are welcome.

We work as a great team here, don't we?

Back
Top Bottom