Gpz 305 90% resto "Jett"

warpedworm

I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong
Here is my 90% restoration of my old racing 305. This bike is going to be for my daughter to ride.
I've been splitting time between this and my cafe 305, but this one has taken priority for now,
as my daughter is going back to college in mid August. She wants to ride it now!!! ;D

Here's what I started with:
MotorcyclesMay2010040.jpg

Crudgpztw200050.jpg

Crudgpztw200052.jpg

Some of the teardown
100_0042.jpg

Crudgpztw200090.jpg

Crudgpztw200091.jpg

slimycrudgpztwgpz6411076-1.jpg

slimycrudgpztwgpz6411074.jpg

Can you say, "screw extractor" :mad:
slimycrudgpztwgpz6411061.jpg

The resto taking over the cafes' place of honor on the lift
Crudgpztw200060.jpg

Frame/swingarm painted/new tires

Crudgpztw200084.jpg

Crudgpztw200080.jpg

It won't be a complete resto, as it will have a Yosh pipe and won't have the stock decals. I tried to find
decals and can't find any gpz 305 ones and the 550 decals are about $200 and I don't think any of
them would fit anyway.

Hope to have it finished in 2 weeks

Re: Gpz 305 90% resto

The GPz is one of the bikes of my past & holds a special place in my childhood thoughts.

A friend of mine owned one back in the day and I used to scoot around on it.

Here's a pic of me sitting on it way back in '85:
n1324570996_281469_6683.jpg
I know where I can get one right now, may jump on it, not sure....need to straighten out other stuff before I take on another project.​

They're fun bikes to throw around, if you get a chance check out my 305 Cafe build, just link to it in my signature below.

And if you decide you don't want the one you know about, and it's not too far away from me, let me know, I would
be interested in it.

Thanks

warpedworm said:
They're fun bikes to throw around, if you get a chance check out my 305 Cafe build, just link to it in my signature below.

And if you decide you don't want the one you know about, and it's not too far away from me, let me know, I would
be interested in it.

I checked out your cafe' build a few days ago...I'll keep watching the progress.

The bike is in Maine a couple miles from me. They are asking a bit too much, but it's all there and a runner.

My first bike was a GPz 550. Loved that thing. Good luck with the resto! ;D

Finally getting something done on the Gpz. The engine is rebuilt and installed, finishing up the carbs and detailing and priming the bodywork. I want to get it running and then I'll paint the engine after a test ride. That way I can check for any leaks before painting.

motorcyclesapril12-12012.jpg

motorcyclesapril12-12013.jpg

Got the wiring mostly done last night and today, just trial fitting the body work making sure all the wiring is where it supposed to be. Hope to have the carbs done in a few days, and take it out for a ride to make sure everything is working right. Then it'll be time to finish painting and detailing.

motorcyclesapril12-12049.jpg

motorcyclesapril12-12046.jpg

motorcyclesapril12-12047.jpg

Carbs rebuilt and installed

gpzcalicarbs.jpg

New grips, wiring done, clutch cable and lever, brake nearly finished.

gpzcaligauges.jpg

Yosh 2 into 1 installed.

gpzcaliyosh.jpg

Got her started and just need to adjust the carbs a bit, much quieter since I
repacked the Yosh. Didn't realize how loud it was until I got it repacked :-[

Well tried starting it up Thursday, would run on full choke on one cylinder and sometimes fire on the second. At first thought it was a bad coil, changed that out and really didn't make a difference. I'm sure some of you already know where this story is going ;)

Went back and cleaned off the new paint at the coil mounting points and cleaned all
the connections again, cleaned the paint more at the ground wire, and guess what....
yea it runs fine now! :)

Moral of the story. Remember what you've been told over and over and over, make sure you have a good ground, before you over think the problem and do a lot of extra
work. :mad:

Well it started doing the run not run thing again, my son and I have been chasing what we thought was a bad wiring harness, changed out the harness didn't make any different.
He finally said just hard wire it and eliminate the connectors by the black box, bingo!
Took it out today and put 30 miles on it, had a few carb hiccups under hard throttle, but
ran good otherwise.

I forgot how much fun these bikes are, so light and flickable. My daughter is not happy with me since she's at college and it's her bike, and I got to ride it first. Now to finish
up adjusting everything and get it painted. The only problem is now that I rode it and remember how much fun it is, I'll be riding it and not working on it, just don't anyone
tell my daughter ;)

How she looked on her first ride in over 20 years.

gpzcali08292012.jpg

Had more electrical problems, but I think we finally got it fixed. Haven't worked on finishing this thing in months, but now putting all the little detail things back together.

Here she is with one of the new project bikes, another of my 5 Gpz 305s.

Cool project!

I didn't realize those had belt drive.

Nice paint work!

Thank You, it's a fun bike.

If I could I would convert all my bikes to belt.

Here's a place that sells the original decals:

http://www.reproductiondecals.com/default_frameset.html?content.html~main

She's getting closer. Got the side covers fixed and put on the barend mirror.

My daughter came home from school for Easter and took her Gpz out for her first ride on the road.

Back
Top Bottom