1980 kz440 ltd bobber-cafe brat

JimmyTheKid86

I bought this bike at the beginning of summer for $150 and not running. So far I've put on 10.5 inch solid struts, clubman handlebars, suicide shifter, eliminated the gauges and dummy lights, I chopped the stock mufflers off and added the emgo shorty mufflers. Its a work in progress and nowhere near done yet.

Attachments

• C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_00606_4mcS1fYOOoe_600x450.jpg
    C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_00606_4mcS1fYOOoe_600x450.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,317
AWWWwwww MMMman!! Well, you got it running right?, that's good, i guess.

You might not like this place.

On the other hand, you might learn a thing or two about motorcycles.

Welcome, I'll let someone else start this party.

P.S. kz440 was my first street bike(had well over 50 since then). I ruined mine too.

I got it running like a top, extremely dependable. Ive been wrenching on bikes and cars since I was 7 years old with my pops, I'm 29 now lol. My user name and from the older guys in my classic car club, I have a 50 Plymouth coupe. I'm always open to learning new things. Why would you say I might not like it here?

Or 12" emgo mufflers? Or clubman handlebars?

2 into 1 exhaust.

Good shocks.

Drag bars at worst, superbike bars would be much better.

Just take Cafe completely out of the title, you aren't headed there at all.

Oh and by the way Mr. Supertunerthewhizkid100ontheblock, Thats not suicide shift. Thats a jockey shift.

See, learning already arent we.

First off its my bike so I can do whatever I so please, and secondly you're a complete asshole. I'm not trying to start shit, but is this how you welcome new people to your group? I ALSO said its a work in progress and its nowhere near finished.

I said welcome! sheesh.

Come in here tellin us you're a good wrench ya better back it up. Struts are whack. They make your bike worse in every way. The jockey shift is something my 16 year old cousin would do, dangerous and ugly, but yes it's your bike so if you want it to look dumb and be more dangerous then by all means git er dun.

Yup, i'm an asshole. Refer to the avatar. Somebody nicer will be along soon i'm sure.

Welcome here! (I'll just pretend I didn't just read everything I just read)

Sounds like you got a deal on a runner and was able to ride through the summer. What's your plans now? If your struts are 10.5" maybe you could try a set of rebel shocks to give you suspension at your current ride height.

Welcome - glad you've gotten to know some of our members already.

You'll find a massive variety of personalities and opinions here just like out in the real world.

Assume when you're posting here that you're standing in the middle of NYC with a megaphone and fireworks shooting out of your ass while asking for everyone's opinion. That's more or less what happens. You'll appreciate some, question others and say WTF about many. That's life.

Yes, that is a wikipedia link telling you why your bike is NOT suicide shift.

Wikipedia, the foremost reference material for seasoned mechanics everywhere!!

Jockey shift.

+

Foot operated clutch

=

Suicide.

You have a jockey shift. If you want to continue to refer to it incorrectly that's awesome too.

Read the post above that one. I didn't say once that i know everything but people do tend to tell me that all the time, so weird.

The suicide part is the foot operated clutch. Foot operated CLUTCH. Foot operated CLUTCH, get it? You simply replaced your foot shifter with a hand shift. Also known as jockey shift.

But, but, suicide shift sounds so much cooler!! Call it that then, but be wrong.

Like i said the bike is nowhere near complete. I'm adding forward controls with a foot clutch, but I'd appreciate it if you kept your nose out of this thread and out of my business. Keep all your snide remarks to yourself and go build something with your 16 year old cousin in a shed somewhere. Obviously there are other people that support my build.

But, you put struts on it!! I figured it was done!!

Forward controls eh? Yup, just as I suspected.

Skip it and buy a Harley.

Not a single personal remark towards you, just some common sense from a long term biker racer and builder. No problem, i'll keep my correct and pointed comments out of this thread. Have fun with the okie dokers.

Remember how i said I ruined mine? I watched opne too many OCC episodes when I was getting into bike building and so went the way. Also, that FAILURE inspired me to LEARN, and now I am a factory trained and authorized Kawasaki Technician. That's right, with a capital T.

Let the Good Times Roll.

Just because you don't approve of it, or it isn't the way you would do it doesn't mean it's wrong. I built my very first street bike, a 1977 kz400 the same exact way I'm building this one. Guess what?? I built it 12 years ago and I've put over 30,000 miles one it and its still in one piece!

JimmyTheKid86 said:
Just because you don't approve of it, or it isn't the way you would do it doesn't mean it's wrong.
Actually more often than not it really does.

As a side note, 2 of the last 3 BOTM winners here were nominated by myself. Guess I just don't know a good bike when i see one.

Back
Top Bottom