SR500 RACE BIKE - Tracy body kit - Survivor - Ohio

irk miller said:
This kit is supposed to be a match to rebuild the stock m/c.

Yeah, I read that on the sr500 forum but I think I need a new cap and plunger and maybe even a body. Mine is all pitted and shitty

What's your max pay? I'm sure you've seen the two on eBay for $129 or Best Offer and another for $190 or Make Offer. I know $129 is still pricey, but with the rebuild kit from the forum, you're at $150. A Best Offer may get you everything for $120 or less.

Just thinking out loud here, but since the bike is far from stock, why not look at rear master cylinders from almost any other similar bike and fit a remote reservoir. Chinese copies are pennies on the dollar, but you should be able to fit and adapt one from almost any modern sport bike at a fraction of the cost of an NOS unit.

I am sure I have several rear Yamaha MC sitting around, along with some reservoirs and caps. I will be back at my garage next weekend and can look.

you can get a brand new Brembo rear master cylinder for $60 with the reservoir

teazer said:
Just thinking out loud here, but since the bike is far from stock, why not look at rear master cylinders from almost any other similar bike and fit a remote reservoir.

I hear you. That very well may be the plan. At the time, I didn't know that a rear MC were so difficult to find. My rearsets are designed to fit a stock MC. I could whip up a new bracket to make them fit but a stock MC would just bolt on. We'll see!

doc_rot said:
you can get a brand new Brembo rear master cylinder for $60 with the reservoir

Nice! If I can make it work, I'm down. Have a link to the MC you're thinking of?

What is the distance between the mounting bolts (center to center)? Let's see what might fit without modification.

imwastefull said:
Also, I found out the mikuni is a 36mm. I was really pulling for a 38mm. Bummer.

Don't sweat it, the 36mm is the better option. The 38 will give you a very hard time with jetting as it lacks an accelerator pump.

imwastefull said:
Can anyone give me a lesson on SR500 rear master cylinders?

Get a rear master cylinder from a XS750/XS850 and get a repair kit for that. It's also a smaller piston diameter making the rear brake more aggressive (14mm instead of 5/8"), which usually is a heaven's sent with rear-sets.

Cheers,
Greg

der_nanno said:
Get a rear master cylinder from a XS750/XS850 and get a repair kit for that. It's also a smaller piston diameter making the rear brake more aggressive (14mm instead of 5/8"), which usually is a heaven's sent with rear-sets.

Thanks brother, I'll give Ebay a quick look

they have other bore diameters / outlet styles available as well. reservoir is sold separately

https://store.bevelheaven.com/Brake-Related-Parts/Master-Cylinder-Brembo-Rear-Brake-11mm-Black-Straight-Outlet/

I have a Chinese one with oval slots that allow for 40=5-50mm center to center. GSXR I have are 50mm and so is an early R6.

Lockheed made a race rear caliper with 55mm spacing but those are really expensive - if you can find one. I have a new one here somewhere that came with some race bike resto that I did. I have it put aside to replace one on a TZ.

Try RD400 or XS and see what size they are.

You may want to ask for bolthole-spacing, just to be sure, that you guys in the US haven't got a different spacing or something like that.

Now that the holidays are over and spent, I stole a few hours to work on the race bike. A generous fellow on the sr500 Facebook page shipped me a used rear master and I also had new front brake lines and a grip full of crush washers show up in the mail so I decided to give the brakes a go.
And then I pulled my hair out all evening. No matter what I did, I couldn't get the front brakes to bleed. Even after an hour of pumping away at the mity-vac, these brakes won't bleed. As near as I can tell, the front master is fine and not leaking and it gives plenty of power. All the crush washers are new and nothing is leaking so I can tell.
I'm at a loss. I'm just going to have to keep tinkering.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20190101_170112.jpg
    MVIMG_20190101_170112.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 209
  • MVIMG_20190101_170042.jpg
    MVIMG_20190101_170042.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 202
  • MVIMG_20181231_145230.jpg
    MVIMG_20181231_145230.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 213
You might need to prime the master a few times. I've had to hold my finger over the outlet and pump until it flows fluid well, then connect it and bleed air out of the joint.

pidjones said:
You might need to prime the master a few times.

Now that you say that, it reminds me of something. I tried to prime the master and I got excellent pressure at the line, but it wasn't sucking in any fluid. Later, I had this air bubble just before the master and no matter how many times I pumped it, the bubble wouldn't move. Maybe my inlet is clogged? However, I was able to get fluid into the calipers with a mity-vac.

imwastefull said:
Now that you say that, it reminds me of something. I tried to prime the master and I got excellent pressure at the line, but it wasn't sucking in any fluid. Later, I had this air bubble just before the master and no matter how many times I pumped it, the bubble wouldn't move. Maybe my inlet is clogged? However, I was able to get fluid into the calipers with a mity-vac.

I had this issue on my Honda after cleaning out a clogged with old fluid m/c. I tried everything, even a syringe from the calipers backwards...nothing would give me a bleed even though the m/c felt fine. There was a minute hole in the reservoir chamber/piston tract that allows fluid into the piston chamber, cleaned it out but still nothing!! I fitted a repro m/c from a trusted supplier and bingo first time bleed and all is well.
Still not too sure wtf was up with the original m/c?

I should just buy a rebuild kit or a new mc but I'm not sure what mine is. Stock gsxr? Anyone know what master this is?

Attachments

• MVIMG_20190101_170108.jpg
    MVIMG_20190101_170108.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 210
Back
Top Bottom