'75 Yamaha XS500 Cafe Project - Open Throttle

Re: 1975 Yamaha XS500B Cafe Project (TX500) - Paint: Your Vote is Needed. 5/1

Timing and Carbs Synced this weekend thanks to this bad boy. A little jump and hesitation when down shifting and slowly rolling on the throttle. The culprit is probably the the pod filters on the CV carbs. Very minor though to the way she rides and feels now. All smiles. :D

Best $100 dollar investment that paid for itself. Plans to give it many more uses. http://www.thealphamoto.com/servlet/the-246/Carburetor-Synchronizer-carb-sync/Detail
a20791a12cb76c484b4074_m.JPG

Re: 1975 Yamaha XS500B Cafe Project (TX500) - 5/2

I could really use a set of those! So handy.

Rossicle said:
I could really use a set of those! So handy.

yeah, they even have built in dampers so you can level out the needle bounce. solid investment with a protective hardcase.

I might just have to look into that this summer when I get the cash!

Re: 1975 Yamaha XS500B Cafe Project - 5/15 - Preview: Paint Test Spray

Called my upholster on the seat situation. Another week! That's 4 weeks total. :'( In the meantime, I did a little of work on the side covers and went thru some test sprays.

So with out delay here is a little preview of things to come in the next few weeks!
IMG_2350.JPG
IMG_2347.JPG
IMG_2378.JPG

Re: 1975 Yamaha XS500B Cafe Project - 5/22 - Final Stage...almost

Upholster finally finished up. Now I got a seat. Now the only thing remaining is bodywork and paint. Next time I post this nearly 2 year project will finally be done!
IMG_2382.JPG

IMG_2383.JPG
IMG_2381.JPG

Re: 1975 Yamaha XS500B Cafe Project - 6/9 - Final Stage...Preview

I was hoping to post final pictures but unforuntely I've had some delays with having to work and a weekend weather forcast with 87% humidity. So for now the bike is on hold until a have a nice humidity free weekend.

I decided to go with Duplicolor PaintShop system. However after some test sprays I have noticed the candy was too thick. I sprayed a gold base and a silver base. After I sprayed the candy I couldn't tell the difference due to the thickness. Since then I have bought some Laquer Thinner and will play around with some test spray. In addition, after reading much about the cons of laquer I have decided to purchase a ppg polyurethane clear that will hopefully protect it a little bit longer when it comes to the durability and chemical resistance.

Here is a little preview for now and my latest purchase:
IMG_2450.JPG

IMG_2458.JPG

Solid man!!! please keep us updated... i was planning on shooting the gloss black and clear on my fairing and saddle bags this weekend for my harley... would love some feedback... what tip are you using?

JRK5892 said:
Solid man!!! please keep us updated... i was planning on shooting the gloss black and clear on my fairing and saddle bags this weekend for my harley... would love some feedback... what tip are you using?

standard 1.5mm tip. My girlfriend's brother is a painter in an autobody shop. He gave me some pointers for adjusting the gun. This video also helped alot. I will definitely keep you posted on the results.
Auto Spray Paint Gun Adjustments and Tips - How To Adjust A Paint Gun

hello,

i believe i missed the post, but what tank are you running on your 500?

cloudhopper said:
hello,

i believe i missed the post, but what tank are you running on your 500?

stock tank. used a plastic ball end mallet and hammer the sides in then spent days of shaping with bondo.

Re: 1975 Yamaha XS500 Cafe Project - 6/12 - Steering Damper Equiped

Last minute addition. Motivated by Joe's Flat Out Steering Damper. Installed this NHK 7-way steering damper and 34mm fork bracket from MikesXS.net. A little annoyed that neither part came with any bolts except for clamping portion of the fork bracket.

Anyways the damper installation took about a day and half. Fabricated 1 bracket but it was too weak. Then finally figured out a way to fabricate a stronger bracket to mount right inside the tank area. Don't ask me how I did it because it was too painful mentally and physically to explain and create. The bracket itself is pretty sturdy but it does show a little weakness on the dampers max stiffness. It's pretty close to the durability and strength I was looking for. It will have to do for now.
IMG_2461.JPG

IMG_2463.JPG

Re: 1975 Yamaha XS500 Cafe Project - 6/12 - Steering Damper Equiped

very nice! i run the same spot on damper on the brat wing! your gonna love it

Re: '75 Yamaha XS500 Cafe Project - 6/20 - White Base for Strips & Frog Tape

Laid down White Base for Stripes & Frog Taped the racing strips. I'm only going to give you a preview of the tank and front fender for now. You'll get the see the rest when it's done. :p
photo2.JPG

Looks nice, Im Cafing My 1980 Yamaha XS850LG Midnight Special

Dunno man, I'm kinda digging the white and green!

Swagger said:
Dunno man, I'm kinda digging the white and green!

ha that's what all my friends are saying. I already bought my supplies soo I'll save the white and lime green or black and lime green for the next build. ::)

Re: '75 Yamaha XS500 Cafe Project - 7/5 - DONE!!! FINISHED!!! COMPLETE!!!

Well, here it is. Everything is here minus the kick starter. Have to pop off the clutch cover at some point to fix the spring. I was hoping to get a professional photographer but here are some pics in the meantime.
photo3.JPG
Neko%252520015.jpg
Neko%252520021.jpg
Neko%252520022.jpg
Neko%252520012.jpg
photo4.JPG

And finally, me with my baby
photo1.JPG

Re: '75 Yamaha XS500 Cafe Project - 7/5 - DONE!!! FINISHED!!! COMPLETE!!!

More pics and video to come soon...

Back
Top Bottom