My new jacket

d-lish

Torched Iron
I got myself a cooper A-2 bomber jacket. How common are these jackets? Also, when were they made? Mine looks brand new. It also has a 13th bomber division patch sewed on. It's really not bad for $15.

Sent from my thunderbolt using Tapatalk

4c1b686d-d9b2-3b06.jpg

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

According to wikipedia: "The Cooper A-2 (flight jacket or flying jacket) is a leather jacket, made by Cooper Sportswear, worn by United States Army Air Forces and United States Air Force pilots, during World War II. It was replaced after World War Two by nylon versions of the jacket, though it continued to be worn operationally during the Korean War by World War II veterans called back into service. It was re-introduced by the military just prior to Operation Desert Shield, with a modification to allow for modern insignia on the front of the jacket, and has been in service ever since."

Reading the rest of the article, if there's no "modification" on yours (velcro to hold insignia), and if it's a military style jacket (one piece back and no inside pocket or side entry pockets on the outside) it looks like it could be a WW2 original, and worth a bit more than the $15 you paid. Even if it's not, it's a cool jacket with some great history!

Holy Crap what are the odds?
I logged on here to post a "just bought a Cooper A-2 jacket" thread and this was at the top of the list!
I bought mine for 21 dollars at a Value Village (used clothing store here in Canada) Sunday and had no idea what it was except it looked cool a fit the period style I was going for!
I'll post pictures of mine when I get home but it looks the same as yours. In MINT shape I might add... I was going to put my Vintage Motorcycle Society patch on it but I might hold off it's worth something... Whiskey Pete, any idea it's value? EDIT: $500 to $5000 according to Wiki I'M RICH!
Man what a small world!
Plus, as it's not a purpose made motorcycle jacket, would we be crazy wearing it while we ride? There's no additonal armor other than the leather... my modern jackets have spine, elbow and shoulder protection...

BenFrank, I wear a knock-off Cooper A-2 (wrong cuffs and pockets to be the real thing) in cold weather over a sweater. The leather's not very thick so I wouldn't wear it as my only layer...maybe over one of those armor jerseys would be an option?

Back
Top Bottom