"Woody" a '75 cb750k cafe racer woodgrain paint. Done 4/15!

Re: "Woody" a '75 cb750k cafe racer. LOOK AT MY CRAZY PAINT :)

The tank is done. I'm getting it powdercoated "chrome" tonight. I kind of want to figure a better way to attach it to the frame but this will work temporarily. After I powdercoat it I will at least have it sit less crooked :)

DSC_5537_zpsd1e549ec.jpg

DSC_5536_zpsc4cf404f.jpg

Sonreir said:
Brass rims might rock with the wood.

+1 on brass! If not rims, brass accents on engine or other bits would look awesome! Love it!

I got the tank powdercoated chrome and put on, looks killer besides the clamps on the frame. I took the bike out for a quick ride and the tank overflowed on me a good bit, all over the swingarm and rear tire. Good one. I need to recirculate it back to the crankcase, DUH! I have an idea for some nice looking polished clamps that will hug the frame.

DSC_5540_zpscbed18ca.jpg

DSC_5546_zps9548efbe.jpg

I'll be making some thin side covers to cover up the electronics tray from the sides. Have some scrap dry carbon I wonder if that would look good?

Here are close ups of the paint for whoever asked too. Too bad everything is covered in pollen now!

DSC_5545_zpsa1c72cd5.jpg

DSC_5543_zpsab1c25f2.jpg

How come it overflowed on you? faulty Pump?

FGKouki said:
I got the tank powdercoated chrome and put on, looks killer besides the clamps on the frame. I took the bike out for a quick ride and the tank overflowed on me a good bit, all over the swingarm and rear tire. Good one. I need to recirculate it back to the crankcase, DUH! I have an idea for some nice looking polished clamps that will hug the frame.

DSC_5540_zpscbed18ca.jpg

DSC_5546_zps9548efbe.jpg

I'll be making some thin side covers to cover up the electronics tray from the sides. Have some scrap dry carbon I wonder if that would look good?

Here are close ups of the paint for whoever asked too. Too bad everything is covered in pollen now!

DSC_5545_zpsa1c72cd5.jpg

DSC_5543_zpsab1c25f2.jpg

The pump was working fine with the old tank, I never had a pressure gauge on there but I think pressure was good, I put a decent amount of miles on it and the P.O was riding it every day.

I think I overfilled it... but I left a decent amount of empty volume in there. Anyone know how much empty volume is in the factory tank if the oil level is at the highest point?

I did ride it about 5 miles this afternoon and it's better with the vent recirculated back to the crank case. It's weeping out of the final drive shaft seal, more than it had been before, so that's kind of why I'm thinking too much oil? The capacity of this new tank is roughly 2.5 quarts and I put about 1.75q in

Took about a half a quart out, we'll see how she does tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I just caused more blow by out of the crankcase and damaged that seal further, but it's not a huge deal as it needed to be replaced anyways. I'm working on those carbon mini side covers tonight too... I think I will end up clearcoating them after I'm done as the dry carbon is just kind of "eh".

I found a few pictures online from the Raleigh Eurobike show yesterday. Don't laugh at my fleece gloves; my dog ate my leathers a while back. ;)

SCHS9ca.jpg

wphn1LB.jpg

GGLaZDk.jpg

LqtTnnx.jpg

inzO65F.jpg

544232_507552345947953_2096757904_n.jpg

480742_10151343166257007_1478219957_n.jpg

Definite one off paint congrats on finishing the bike, love the way the bike sits.

I think it's a shame you covered that beautiful wood grain seam with the black stripe.

Thanks. The bike isn't done by any means though! Besides all the little odd ends like hardware etc. I still need to do the rearsets and pull the motor so I can powdercoat the cases and frame and polish up all the covers.

The seam down the tank actually wasn't perfectly straight down the middle so the stripe hides it.

Nice work on the bike keep it up, looks like uve got a nasty kouki lol

Thanks Vinny!
I was trying to find more pictures from the show and looks like some people are pretty mad about it on the internet LOL http://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/1cab4t/raleigh_eurobike_cafe_show/
It's still a work in progress but I am proud to say I'm in it less than $1500 at this point, and I don't plan to spend more than $500 more to get it finished. I'm not trying to win best in show or get a pipeburn article just building something cool and unique for myself on a limited budget.

Re: "Woody" a '75 cb750k cafe racer with woodgrain paint

how did the overflow problem come out?planning a similar tank set up on mine and anything learned at this point would be helpful.

it seems to have gone away with dropping the oil level. Before you make yours I would measure the empty volume in the stock tank and account for that when fabricating and filling the new tank.

that was going around in my head after i read that maybe you thought expansion was an issue.im going to cut open the oe tank i have and see if the return is above the oil level too

I believe it is above the level to avoid any backpressure. Here's a cross section of the stock tank so you don't cut yours open:

cb750tnk.jpg

Since my fitting for the return is welded further down on the tank I had my buddy who welded it use a little bend of 5/8" Aluminum ac hose on the inside to extend the return so the oil actually comes out near the top of the tank.

too late...im re using the original fittings and vents.trying to recycle as much as i can thanks for the photo though.

I have oldschoolspeed rearsets on the way :D

a pic with my buddy ISMarco's bike before we went to the show the other week.

577665_10151385373003388_2137471238_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom