"Woody" a '75 cb750k cafe racer woodgrain paint. Done 4/15!

Re: "Woody" a '75 cb750k cafe brat

Thanks crq, I'm really looking forward to painting this thing so it's less janky looking next to the 240.

stogz I have a fabricator friend who is going to weld me an aluminum sump tank, and I'll run AN fittings and lines to the factory pickup and return. It will be similar to this, only rectangular. I may extend it under the air filters for more capacity as well.

28_06_2011_evolution_cb750_largest_01.jpg

Waiting for this hurricane to blow over and for my new forks and tire to come in before I can make more progress. I did make a new "fusebox" for the bike to replace the original glass tube style fuseholder...

DSC_4628.jpg

What tail light is that? Integrated turns I assume? Looks awesome!

I'm using your headlight as an inspiration! I want to get maybe a Mini H1 projector and figure out a housing for it, maybe custom machined or retrofitted into an old housing.

Jonny_C said:
What tail light is that? Integrated turns I assume? Looks awesome!

I'm using your headlight as an inspiration! I want to get maybe a Mini H1 projector and figure out a housing for it, maybe custom machined or retrofitted into an old housing.

Yeah, I was looking at the hella 90mm housings as good donors to do a retrofit into as well- maybe something to look into? Minih1 is more than adequate for a bike too, but I would do an e55 or TL projector or something if space allows. I did a mini h1 retrofit for a scooter owned by a buddy of mine and it turned out really nice, great width and visibility at night. Oh the taillight is from an 07-08 zx6 with integrated signals, although I won't be using them. There's a duc monster taillight that is similar too

sxecafe said:
Nice fix on the fuses. Heat Shrink?

Thanks. I popped a 3 fuse row/cluster out of a nissan fusebox and de-pinned it and crimped the pins onto the leads from the old fuse holder, added some solder on there to be sure the contacts were healthy as well. I will probably epoxy some little brackets on the side to mount it. It's just electrical taped over to keep it tidy. I didn't have any sleeving on hand.

FGKouki said:
Yeah, I was looking at the hella 90mm housings as good donors to do a retrofit into as well- maybe something to look into? Minih1 is more than adequate for a bike too, but I would do an e55 or TL projector or something if space allows. I did a mini h1 retrofit for a scooter owned by a buddy of mine and it turned out really nice, great width and visibility at night. Oh the taillight is from an 07-08 zx6 with integrated signals, although I won't be using them. There's a duc monster taillight that is similar too

Yeah, I picked up a Ducati Monster taillight, and it's great. I was just impressed with how much smaller that ZX6 one is.

I've been spending a lot of time looking into those Hella 90mm housings because they are sealed, especially the halogen low beam H9 because it's cheaper (~$60). Can still swap in an HID. I was just thinking Mini H1 or FX-R just because they are bi-xenon, otherwise I'll have to do without high beams. We'll see, have a lot of work to do before I can even think about lighting.

I actually like the look of it with the shitty paint job. Looks brutal and agressive!

FGKouki said:
Thanks crq, I'm really looking forward to painting this thing so it's less janky looking next to the 240.

Jonny_C said:
Yeah, I picked up a Ducati Monster taillight, and it's great. I was just impressed with how much smaller that ZX6 one is.

I've been spending a lot of time looking into those Hella 90mm housings because they are sealed, especially the halogen low beam H9 because it's cheaper (~$60). Can still swap in an HID. I was just thinking Mini H1 or FX-R just because they are bi-xenon, otherwise I'll have to do without high beams. We'll see, have a lot of work to do before I can even think about lighting.

I'd like to see how it pans out if you do end up doing that keep me in the loop!

crqcycles said:
I actually like the look of it with the shitty paint job. Looks brutal and agressive!

Oh man, I think it's just awful and tacky looking. I say leave the flat paintjob to stealh bombers and the batmobile! I have something extremely unique planned for paint though, I'm waiting to do it totally last because I'm looking forward to it so much.

:) Hey Marco.

Front end is apart to replace the forks (original upper tubes are bent), front tire, and brake pads. I'm taking some time to do clean up other parts and repaint or polish them while they're off.

DSC_4633.jpg

DSC_4637.jpg

got a set of cb550 forks in good shape. The design is a tad different than the 750s in the upper and lower tube lengths but they should bolt right on and with the brak bracket as well. Spent some time with them on the buffing wheel to get them super polished.

2012-11-06_19-06-46_443.jpg

DSC_4639.jpg

Sandblasted my caliper then hit it with some primer, silver base, and clear. Turned out real nice. I polished up the caliper bracket a bit too.

2012-11-06_14-42-37_671.jpg

I put a new tire and tube are on the front wheel and painted it gloss black to match the rear. It was dark outside so I don't have a finished photo, but it looks great! I should have everything back together tomorrow!

The black wheel and all the freshly cleaned up parts helps make everything way less shitty! The shocks have great compression and it rides great compared to before. Unfortunately it got dark early again so I don't have pics with the tank, headlight, and seat on the bike.

I need to source some k0-k6 pads too. I ordered 77-78k pads accidentally and they won't work. Finding a bleed nipple at the auto parts store was a failure as well, so I need to find that too.

2012-11-07_13-50-17_175.jpg

2012-11-07_15-09-39_507.jpg

Black rims look way sexier! How did you paint over chrome?

I scuffed it up with 320 grit and cleaned it really well, then hit it with por15 AP-120 (metal prep), let it soak, rinsed and dried it. I just rattle canned it with engine enamel after that. Adhesion to chrome is tricky so hopefully this holds up.

DSC_4643.jpg

DSC_4642.jpg

DSC_4644.jpg

DSC_4645.jpg

I think I need to mount the speedo lower or go with a mini speedo.

Back
Top Bottom