"Woody" a '75 cb750k cafe racer woodgrain paint. Done 4/15!

Re: "Woody" a '75 cb750k cafe racer

i like the direction your going, and the 3d printer is tits.

i can appreciate the work involved in just doing a HID retrofit as i did one myself on my sc300. your silvia clone is pretty clean, i think it missing something though.

Thanks. I've actually done an hid retrofit on an sc300, it's a cramped space inside those lights! The outside of my 240sx is pretty much stock besides the quad projector retrofit and the color change so I didn't change any panels on the car if that's what you mean by silvia clone. Maybe you're not used to seeing an s14 without a spoiler?

yeah, cramped is an understatement.

the lack of a spoiler isn't what i was referring to. i was referring to the 2 cylinders missing on the engine. :p

Ah. Well elsewhere they came with 2.0l turbo, so the 2.4 turbo is better in that respect. I've decided when this engine goes I will do a 2j with a 67mm ;) or if I can get a good deal on an 8.4L dodge v10... It has been done.

2j's are definitely where its at. mine still lacks the turbo, but im not going to play around with my engine till it gives me a reason to. the V10's definitely comand way more than they are worth, at least to me, especially when you can get a 2jzgte from japan for under $3000

Okay I'll spill the beans on the paint now that I have something to show... Y'all have probably been wondering why I chose "woody" as the nickname for this bike, well the paint should help explain that ;)

Where I left off I was just about to shoot the base. Put down a nice copper base
DSC_5438_zpse7368cc4.jpg

Next I needed to make a dividing line between the two sides of the tank. I would have preferred not to, but to avoid distortion of the dip I needed to.
DSC_5443_zps140c87bd.jpg

After that I dipped the first side, came out decent enough that I didn't want to redo it.
DSC_5445_zpsea867e52.jpg

After i rinsed off the side of the tank and let it dry I dipped the tail. Since it was a smaller part I was able to dip it all in one go.
DSC_5446_zpsc0411a2c.jpg

Then I got to the other side, came out better than the first. There were a few areas that I needed to touch up but not a big deal.
DSC_5447_zps2a7caa9b.jpg

Touched everything up and put the seat and tank next to eachother to see how it was going to look
DSC_5458_zps6896f9a3.jpg

DSC_5459_zps4980a57f.jpg

DSC_5460_zpsb42c65c5.jpg

Before I got to the graphics I needed to clear everything as I was afraid to do any sort of masking directly on top of the dip. Put down 3 coats.
DSC_5484_zpsb52febc9.jpg

DSC_5488_zps5c392667.jpg

DSC_5475_zpsaf3d689f.jpg

While I waited for the clear to cure a few days I had a friend cut some stencils to do the HONDA logos on the sides
DSC_5463_zpscdeec238.jpg

Then I sanded the clear down with 1000 in preparation for the graphics
DSC_5492_zpsee388014.jpg

DSC_5493_zps509923e7.jpg

DSC_5496_zps0f1b6507.jpg

Shot the black and unmasked it
DSC_5497_zps4f6de537.jpg

Today I was finally able to clear it. Put down 5 coats and I will wait a few days and then sand and buff it. There are two gnats in it but they should come right out.
DSC_5501_zpse8c0232c.jpg

DSC_5505_zpsb226cb6b.jpg

DSC_5512_zps15a7b326.jpg

DSC_5506_zpse3eef7b9.jpg

Re: "Woody" a '75 cb750k cafe racer. LOOK AT MY CRAZY PAINT :)

wow, that looks fucking amazing! I am now following. Can you give some more details on how you got that wood effect? maybe a couple more photos? super interested!

keep it up!

That sir is one awsome origional paint job! I had looked at the dippping before and kept shying away from it. I was thinking of doing a pearl and candy bowling ball effect on the bobber I had.

Beautiful work, Can't wait to see the final assembly pictures of this one.

Gary

Very RAD! What is the process to achieve the wood grain effect? Solid work!

A little bit of peel (that may buff out), but that's pretty fucking rad.

This is possibly one of the coolest paint jobs I have ever seen.

END OF LINE

Whaaaaa?!?! That is awesome! Can't wait to see it on the bike.

Single coolest paint scheme ever. EVER!

holy shit!! following...

Mate that's one hell of a paint job. Am taking my project off and just going to keep on reading yours.

awesome idea to use hydro dip for the paint. Cant wait to see it on the bike.

Thanks everyone, I'm really pumped on it :) The orange peel isn't that bad but I put 5 coats of clear on with the intention of sanding it glassy smooth anyways. When I paint parts in the backyard I always have trash that needs to be sanded out so I just kind of factor that in and do a little extra clear.

The process is called hydrographics or water transfer printing. It uses a special film and the surface tension of water to conform a pattern tightly over whatever part you have and you simply clearcoat over it when you're done. I've done lots of car parts like interior panels and engine covers and welding helmets, etc. this way but never a gas tank. Here's a video showing how it's done http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwGEH7f1eiw
and there are plenty more on youtube. A lot of the custom chopper guys are getting into it with skulls, snakeskin, and flame patterns but that's not for me :) I thought the wood would be kind of funny but way cool at the same time, and would help keep the bike looking antique.

Dude I had to pick my jaw up off the floor. That tank looks incredible! WOW.

Very very nice work!

Back
Top Bottom