1973 DT250 Cafe/Brat build

Giancarlo124

Here is a little build thread on my dt3 build. Its going to be a cafe style build with a bratstyle seat. Ive already got a bit of work done to it and i have a thread on yamaha-enduros but i thought i would share it here as well.

So im just gonna start posting some pictures and keep you updated with my build.

So here is what the bike looked like before I did anything to it

So pretty early on I shortened and detabbed the rear loop and bent up a seat pan for it(you will also see some crude rearset mounts but i ended up redoing those)

Then I took the bike apart and detabbed the frame and welded on tabs for the rearset mounts

Next I cut out some new rearset brackets

After that i put assembled some of the bike so i could do a little parts mockup and measure how much i needed to shorten the forks

After i shortened the forks

Fabbed up some headlight mounts and clip on handle bars

And mounted the turn signals and made up a license plate mount

And thats just about where i am with the build right now, I should be taking the frame to get powdercoated soon. I will keep you posted.

Very cool. I love the old Yamaha Enduros. I had a DT1 for a while that had an RT3 engine in it... what a beast.

Good luck with the build!

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Love the build so far.
Document the wiring on this one if you haven't done the wiring already.

Looking very cool,

Thanks,
Jachana

Been a while but I got the frame powdercoated, put the motor back together and put it in the bike. Next I can start work on the wiring harness and making control cables.

Very Nice!

Which Trail Tech are you going to run?

The $19 one with 2 wires?

Looking great,

Jachana

Got some work done on the bike last night. I finished the shift linkage.
I had to drill out the shift lever and press in a sleeve to get a smaller diameter hole so i could use my M6 heim joints

Then I cut the threaded rod and gave it a little bend

Are you keeping the 21" front wheel or downsizing? Thoroughly recommend a fork brace when you get to that juncture. (Not that the front end will spend much time down on the Tarmac lol)

Erskine said:
Are you keeping the 21" front wheel or downsizing? Thoroughly recommend a fork brace when you get to that juncture. (Not that the front end will spend much time down on the Tarmac lol)

It originally had a 21 in the front but it has the optional factory 19'' wheel now. Do these flex a lot? Will a fork brace help?

Giancarlo124 said:
It originally had a 21 in the front but it has the optional factory 19'' wheel now. Do these flex a lot? Will a fork brace help?

Yep they will flex like spaghetti in every conceivable direction, however, even a steel mudguard will go a long way to mitigate it, and you have lugs available on the fork lowers to use. The more you can make the front suspension system work as a solid unit will pay dividends.
If one side moves up even a millimetre ahead of the other, by the time that is translated to the contact patch of a 19" tyre, you are looking at masses of misalignment and gyroscopic tomfoolery going on.
It's easy enough to weld one up comprising of two hoops, one in front and one behind and bolted to the fork lugs if you can't get a funky machined clamp.

Erskine said:
Yep they will flex like spaghetti in every conceivable direction, however, even a steel mudguard will go a long way to mitigate it, and you have lugs available on the fork lowers to use. The more you can make the front suspension system work as a solid unit will pay dividends.
If one side moves up even a millimetre ahead of the other, by the time that is translated to the contact patch of a 19" tyre, you are looking at masses of misalignment and gyroscopic tomfoolery going on.
It's easy enough to weld one up comprising of two hoops, one in front and one behind and bolted to the fork lugs if you can't get a funky machined clamp.

Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom