Building my own two-stroke "Mongrel" - Inspired by CharlieT & TedT

Re: Building my own two-stroke "Mongrel" - Inspired by CharlieT & TedT

Loving this thing. Fun fact, bucyrus is just up the road from me. There is Alot of Marion power shovel/ bucyrus Erie heritage around here. Nice work my friend

I agree that the swingarm angle is just all wrong. Before I went any farther I would put a shorter shock in there. Look at a CBR900RR shock as it has a remote reservoir so it should give you the clearance you need. You could also look at the shock off a 650 Ninja since it is a non-linkage set up. How about making up an adjustable strut out of a turnbuckle and start making it shorter until you get the swingarm into the 10* range. Then you can find a shock that matches that length.

I like the Ascot tank on there. Looks good.

ex119x said:
I agree that the swingarm angle is just all wrong. Before I went any farther I would put a shorter shock in there. Look at a CBR900RR shock as it has a remote reservoir so it should give you the clearance you need. You could also look at the shock off a 650 Ninja since it is a non-linkage set up. How about making up an adjustable strut out of a turnbuckle and start making it shorter until you get the swingarm into the 10* range. Then you can find a shock that matches that length.

I like the Ascot tank on there. Looks good.

I've already trimmed the clevis on the bottom of the shock and moved the bottom bolt mount. The SV650 shock is shorter than about 95% of other options I have found so far starting at 330mm. I cannot take that shock apart to shorten it internally, it is not rebuildable. The best looking alternative so far is looking like a specific year ZX14 shock that is taken apart and internally lowered (Since it shares similar mounts to the Suzuki and has a resivour not likely to be in the way compared to others), or a 954RR shock (That is considerably shorter but has eyelets on each end), and an attached resivour that would need to get creatively handled. I appreciate all the concerns on the swing arm angle. I'll try this and either it works, or it doesn't and I'll revise. It may wind up with a linkage eventually, I don't leave things alone forever. Like I mentioned, I specifically finished up the front end on the steeper end of the usual rake range because I suspect that the rear will get lowered down, but I am going to keep this project moving in the interim :)

You likely have a 100> pounds of spring weight to add, toss some sand bags or equal on and see how close that ass is setting at wet.

Tune-A-Fish© said:
You likely have a 100> pounds of spring weight to add, toss some sand bags or equal on and see how close that ass is setting at wet.

For sure! Engine is about 80'ish lbs by itself dry. I gotta add wet weight, tank, radiators, exhaust, all the controls, seat, etc. etc. etc. so Its definitely gonna get a little sag to it and level out. I stood on it yesterday and while i couldn't do that, measure, and take pictures, it evened out considerably with me on it.

Back to the rearset question. I used a pair from a Hyabusa on the Dunstall GT750. They are rubber mounted and have rubber pegs and dampening weights to make for less vibes through the feet. I needed to make brackets that allowed the original parts to fit, so no cutting and no welding on teh stock frame. You don't have those constraints, so have at it.

Keep an eye on ebay for a cheap pair.

Looked at the 'busa sets this morning, I like those being rubberized in the mounts like you mentioned. My big motor shakes quite a little with the more rotating mass so that is a perfect fit. Bought a set 8)

Well, I put the rads on there and that Ascot tank has about a snow-balls chance in hell of working, even if I cut the heck out of it, it's just not really going to work from the looks of it. I need something with some fuel capacity as that is a thirsty motor but it needs to be about 6 inches shorter than what the Ascot tank is to work, even with being notched out for the top of the rads.

Found a shock that will work better! Needs rebuilt but I can also lower it internally if necessary. Has remote reservoir, rebound adjustments, and a clevis same as the Suzuki one.

Anyone ever cut up and reweld some radiators?not messing with the tubes but will have to connect the headers and tanks. I have this set of Chinese atc250r radiators in the shop. Both together are too big to go in front of the frame horizontally but if I graft them together in an 12x9 configuration I can run a low radiator and still use the Ascot tank.
f1a8785e3e1aaa37ed7927674640ee12.jpg
75889dc981fe3fcbee2c34ad7c1d9753.jpg
3cb970f1528015427437163f859710ae.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Why not simply weld (or bracket) them together mechanically and plumb them together with a hose?

Both of them together is too much and Itll hang down in the wishbone opening the exhaust comes through. That was my original idea :)

That's what a stock CR500 radiator setup is- two plumbed together. I think total capacity is one liter.

87a3e83d47b9dea2f303cf336b6cf171.jpg

Yup. Same type of setup as what the 250r has from the factory. If I mount them in the stock configuration though the Ascot tank and most others are going to be no Bueno. I need to mount horizontally and in front of the frame it looks like.

Have you looked at a GL1000 radiator? It's center mounted and single unit, although the frame is configured so the rad fits inset to the frame. I can get a measurement, if you want to look.

sam_0685_dd71cd.jpg

irk miller said:
Have you looked at a GL1000 radiator? It's center mounted and single unit, although the frame is configured so the rad fits inset to the frame. I can get a measurement, if you want to look.

sam_0685_dd71cd.jpg
Sure! From what I've taken I need to.be in the 12in wide and about 8-9ish tall area. If there is something readily available I'll sure use it.

There ya go... http://www.trx250r.net/forum/engine-transmission/22521-radiator-dimensions.html

9.5" tall, 13.5" wide and 1.75" deep

hurco550 said:
Loving this thing. Fun fact, bucyrus is just up the road from me. There is Alot of Marion power shovel/ bucyrus Erie heritage around here. Nice work my friend

Bucyrus, which became DBT, and is now owned by Cat...

Back
Top Bottom