82 KZ750 LTD Brat Style Build **UPDATED**

Jrbrownie00

Been Around the Block
Hello All. I've always been into cars so forums aren't new to me though bikes are. Not only is this going to be my first build it's my first bike. Exciting right?

So onto the bike, an 82 Kawasaki KZ750 LTD H3... Picked it up about 3 weeks ago with 18,270 on the clock for $540. It runs well but needs work after sitting outside for at least 8 years. The PO says he covered it but seeing all the rust makes me think otherwise. ;D

8654321790_ef7d3a9352_z.jpg

8654325916_100e8d3bfa_z.jpg

My goals are to get it running perfect and fix everything that's wrong first. Then i would like to go for a comfortable brat look. Superbike bars, flat seat, no fenders etc. So far I've only tackled cleaning, an oil change, changed the plugs and air filter (k&n) and got the blinker and tail light working again.

There are a few things that have me stuck being a newbie and all.

-The front brakes are stuck. I dissembled the calipers and re-greased all the pins and bolts. Next step will be a brake bleed and then a caliper / MC rebuild if the bleed doesn't help. Anything I'm missing here?
-Bike sputters and doesn't produce sufficient power from about 1200-3000. I'm assuming this is a clogged jet or other carb issue. The header pipe on cylinder 3 takes longer to warm then the others so that's where I'll start, any other suggestions?
-Having issue on cold starts. It takes a long time for the starter to catch, once it catches once it''ll fire right up. Lost on this one? Starter rebuild in my near future?

Thanks for the help in advance. I'm going to try to update as much as possible!!

Re: 82 KZ750 LTD Brat Style Build - First Timer

8690422349_1ddd28c866_b.jpg

Making progress... The super bike bars really change the look. Chopping down the seat and rear of the bike next, any suggestions?

Cheers!

Looks good. There is a way to make these LTD's look good. Just takes some more creative juice.

M.B Co said:
Looks good. There is a way to make these LTD's look good. Just takes some more creative juice.

it still needs work to be nice but if the seat turns out alright i think i nailed it.

That looks good.

Essentially here is what mine will look like

e2urerum.jpg

Sent from my Rooted PACMAN S3 using Tapatalk 2

keep up the good work! i'm working on a very similar project, looking to build my KZ650 into a brat/tracker.

Check my seat, i do a seat pan with plywood!
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=16805.msg545828#msg545828

aa7c1c4ce493aec02459243418d04bd9.jpg

I haven't updated this recently so here's some updates.

Decided to make my own seat, welded a rear hoop, added blinkers and a license plate mount. What do most of you do for hiding wires? False box under the seat?

I'm thinking about some clip-ons and removing the speedo/tach combo too. little by little...

9504116516_49df372020_c.jpg

9504117222_4f99bb4b02_c.jpg

9527921402_6f20036a8b_c.jpg

9525135423_f0f9c11fef_c.jpg

So here it is, still needs some tabs taken off, the seat made and paint but its up and running with nearly all the wires tucked.

9525137499_006b55d18b_c.jpg

It's actually much cleaner than it looks, nearly all of the mess is extra wire...

I'm happy for now.

9557397259_c384b79989_b.jpg

9557398579_e0916d1bd3_b.jpg

9557396077_8004a0d4ae_b.jpg

Added my seat foam which still needs to be trimmed down a bit.
Made my taillight bracket and took it for a spin. Moderate comfort, still feel the big bumps pretty good but it looks killer. 8)

Ordered Uni Pods to replace these cheap EMGO's which hopefully makes a difference like everyone says they will. Also decided to paint the tank but I'll leave that as a surprise.

nice job there Jr. Cant wait to see it finished. What are you covering the seat with? I can tell you, i just put uni filters on mine sunday. holy s**t. what a difference. now waiting on my jet kit to arrive, it will be lean.

Beaner242 said:
nice job there Jr. Cant wait to see it finished. What are you covering the seat with? I can tell you, i just put uni filters on mine sunday. holy s**t. what a difference. now waiting on my jet kit to arrive, it will be lean.

I think marine grade black vinyl. Going to try to get some stitching on there too, we'll see. I already jetted stg 1 with the dynokit and it really doesn't run that smooth but I think these pods blow.

82 KZ750 LTD Brat Style Build - First Timer

Yes I had the same thing on mine. The cheap emgo filters the the po had out on it. I just can't believe the difference it made in mine. I hope you get similar results.

Next up may be to chop the fork springs and add lowering spacers to get that low look without tubes sticking through the top triple clamp.

Instructions here: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=38126.105 this was how I did my twin, and a friend's 4-cyl KZ750. Both turned out well.

I kept the stock speedo and modified the stock bracket. Cut it down, bent it for the right angle and centered it. Turned out great IMO

Bike is coming together. Good job

My speedo setup

Untitled by MBCo, on Flickr

Beaner242 said:
Yes I had the same thing on mine. The cheap emgo filters the the po had out on it. I just can't believe the difference it made in mine. I hope you get similar results.

Me too man.

Dude that chop on the forks is pretty awesome. I am running the excess out the top and it doesnt bother me as of yet but good to know there is a BA write up out there.

Bike is looking sick BTW

Update...

Added real pod filters and crank case breather, both UNI. Noticeable difference, i should have done these from the beginning. Painted to tank with a "vintage gold" plastidip and upholstered the seat with marine grade black vinyl. It finally is starting to look legit. I need better pictures!

9696289718_9a7f6c95ff_c.jpg

9696263942_9d8048b7c8_c.jpg

I think next will be that fork shop and painting the wheels and forks black. That might not come until winter.

Back
Top Bottom