1977 XS750 to XS885D - For sale for real this time

Re: 1977 XS750D - XS885D

Goings been slow since my son was born 6 weeks ago. He's number two, so I've already made the life adjustment. I've still been making progress, but it's one thing at a time. My gearbox is coming back tomorrow, so that's the one missing link before I can put the whole shebang back together. My forks came back from racetech, rebuilt, gold-valved, and lowered. I also made a speedo mount, I need to get some better hardware for it, and it is going to be a tight fit with the speedo cable, but I like where it sits.

Attachments

• speedo1.jpg
    speedo1.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,365
  • speedo2.jpg
    speedo2.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,384

Love it! Looks like a much better version of where I'm going with my XS.

bike is coming along great mate well done. just a quicky where abouts are the pegs from been looking for a set like that for my cb200 but cant find folding ones any help.

deepwaterimports said:
bike is coming along great mate well done. just a quicky where abouts are the pegs from been looking for a set like that for my cb200 but cant find folding ones any help.

Pegs are $20 units off Amazon. Search for "luckybike black foot pegs" on Amazon. I couldn't find pegs I liked either, these were exactly what I wanted, and they were so cheap, I figured I'd try them out. The quality is great. These are the same exact footpegs the Classified Moto has on their XV920, so I figure I'm in good company.

I got the undercut and refreshed transmission back from Fast By Gast. It sure looks pretty. Engine reassembly started this morning. I got the shift drum in. Baby steps. It will go quickly from here on out.

Attachments

• Trans1.jpg
    Trans1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 371
  • Engine.jpg
    Engine.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 418
Re: 1977 XS750D to XS885D - Engine Rebuild

I'm about halfway through the engine rebuild. There aren't a lot of breaks with a 3 year old and a 3 month old, so it's step by step. The cases are back together with trans, crank, rods, and shifter, the oil pump and pan are back in, and the kick starter is back in. Next comes the clutch, the cam chain, the pistons, head, generator, etc. Steady but slow progress is the order of the day. I'm on letter J in the engine rebuild guide. It goes to letter O, so it's coming along. I had to take a few breaks when I realized I didn't have the right lock washer or crush washer, and I had to reuse some ugly bolts, but otherwise, it's been smooth sailing.

Attachments

• Engine.jpg
    Engine.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 420
Re: 1977 XS750D to XS885D - Roadblocks

I've been making steady progress and thought I could knock out the other major engine areas this weekend. I have the left hand side all assembled. I then started on the clutch and managed to snap the wire that keeps the first steel friction plate in place. F.

I ordered it up online, but it'll be Wednesday. Well, I can get the pistons, cylinders and head on. I got the first two pistons on without a hitch, and then opened the third to find the wrong size circlips as pictured below. I ordered up the correct circlips for $2.00, but it'll be Wednesday. So much for getting the engine back in the frame this weekend. My wife will be happy.

Attachments

• Pistons.jpg
    Pistons.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 1,256
  • Circlips.jpg
    Circlips.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 370

Looking really good. I really dig these Yamaha triples.

Very nice!

You know, I have an old BSA A10 frame... With a little welding and an XS 750/850...

<sigh> so many ideas.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill

Very nice job!

I´m also building a XS cafe, nice to have your bike as an inspiration!

//Breiz

The clutch parts that I ordered back on May 26th still haven't arrived, but Wiseco comped me the circlips and got them out immediately. Two thumbs up for excellent customer service from Wiseco. I got the cylinders and head back on. It took some work to get the pistons in the cylinders. I bought the cheap ring compressor off E-Bay. It worked, but I would not recommend trying to do it all solo like I did. Keeping the cylinders aligned was the toughest part without a spare set of hands. It was not as simple a job as I'd thought it would be. I'm going to wait until the RHS cover is back on before putting the engine back in the frame. This weekend I'll get the cam chain linked and hopefully have the clutch parts so that I can finish it up.

Attachments

• EngineWithHead.jpg
    EngineWithHead.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 340
Re: 1977 XS750D to XS885D - Engine almost done

I got the clutch parts in, started the job, then could not find my replacement outer circlip. I ordered all the replacement circlips when I started the engine. It looks like I missed one, and the original is too tweaked to re-use. No mind, just a little more of a delay and more time for family on Father's Day. I'm so close to the end of this build, I can taste it.

Attachments

• Parts.jpg
    Parts.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 1,768
  • Clutch.jpg
    Clutch.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,787
  • Circlip.jpg
    Circlip.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 1,829

Got the circlps in and the clutch back on. I put a brand new primary chain on, cuz I'm a bit anal. Next post should be the engine back in the frame.

Attachments

• WithPrimary.jpg
    WithPrimary.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 324

Just to give a sense of my small workspace I'm confined to. Here is a pic from outside the door, and another showing the bike and engine. My apartment is down the hall and around the corner. It's incredibly convenient, but a bit cramped.

Attachments

• Garage.jpg
    Garage.jpg
    558.3 KB · Views: 335
  • Garage2.jpg
    Garage2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 320

Well done. Did you have any issues with the 2nd shift drum. These bikes are notorious for that. Always made me shy away, but I do like the 3 cylinder engine.

The 2nd gear issue was mostly resolved by the time the XS850 rolled out, but the PO of my engine/trans reported that 2nd had started to slip. There are several different solutions that are well documented on the triples forum. The best solution to the 2nd gear issue is to get the dogs undercut, but that requires splitting the cases. I was already committed to a complete rebuild, so I sent the whole trans off to Fast By Gast to get refreshed and undercut. It should be fixed for good.

1977 XS750D to XS885D - Engine almost done

Same here triples are nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1977 XS750D to XS885D - Engine almost done

Same here triples are nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom