1977 XS750 to XS885D - For sale for real this time

Re: 1977 XS750D to XS885D - Engine ready to go back in the frame

Today I linked up the cam chain and prepped the frame for the install. Tomorrow I hope to get the engine back in the frame. This is a momentous day for me. There is nothing like installing the last gasket in my gasket set.

Attachments

• Cam chain.jpg
    Cam chain.jpg
    984.3 KB · Views: 310
  • EngineReady.jpg
    EngineReady.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 315
Re: 1977 XS750D to XS885D - Engine almost done

“Engine envy” – i think i have created a new saying as i have it. And i am green with it

yeah I gotta say I'm impressed with your attention to detail thus far.

love this build, hope my 850 will look just as good, what oil cooler is that and where did you get it?

currently have my 30 year old standard cooler in a box "awaiting attention " lol
Cheers Mark

Re: 1977 XS750D to XS885D - Engine in!!

Today the engine went in! It was easier than I thought it would be. One lesson learned: Use something stronger than 2 layers of masking tape to protect your frame. I did end up with a few surface scratches on the powdercoat. It should clean up fine, but it's still a hassle. What's left to do to get this sucker running. I'm going to try to get it running first, then get the wiring harness properly sorted out.

- Sort out the exhaust
- Fuel lines
- Oil up the engine
- Install the ignition wires
- Basic install of the current harness.
- Carb install + tuning

pugeyed - The oil cooler is a Pro-One cooler. It is not a cheap part, but the quality is excellent.

Attachments

• EngineReady.jpg
    EngineReady.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,560
  • EngineIn3.jpg
    EngineIn3.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,629
  • EngineIn1.jpg
    EngineIn1.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,715
1977 XS750D to XS885D - Engine in!!

After much debate, Raask rearsets are on the way.

The tank is already fully restored and repainted. The paint is similar to the original paint scheme except without vinyl and the dark blue is now black. I love the 70's paint schemes, and wanted it to be recognizable as a first year XS750D. I want the build to be honest about its origins, and I love graphics that accentuate the tanks form.

Here are a few more shots. Please excuse the beach shorts, I had just come back from the beach with my daughter. I mocked it up with the carbs, filters, and battery box. There seems to be a lot of sag with me on the bike, but these are standard progressive shocks and springs for the model. I'm waiting for the rearsets and the exhaust in the mail right now, so I'll be sorting through the wiring during the wait. It'll be a few weeks before all the parts are in.

Attachments

• OnBike2.jpg
    OnBike2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 364
  • WithCarbs.jpg
    WithCarbs.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 355

Just became interested in XSTriples. Yours is a very clean example.
Its like you're build a ship in a bottle with that space! Just kidding, it's really all you need. I will be downsizing my shop soon.

Re: 1977 XS750D to XS885D - Details Details Details

I do wish I had a bit more space, but you can't beat the convenience.

It's all about the details now. Here's what's left:

Make or find oil lines to adapt the oil cooler
Build clutch and Throttle cables
Wait for the Raask rearsets
Wait for the exhaust
Modify the speedo mount
Wiring

Tip for other triple owners: If you are going to use rearsets and have a standard frame, swap out the rear engine bolt from a special. It's shorter and the perfect length with the footpegs removed.

Attachments

• Oil Cooler.jpg
    Oil Cooler.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 340

I'm going a few directions at the same time. I finally found a rear fender solution that I'm happy with. I cut off the rear of a front fender from an Aprilia SXV. Below is a pic of where I intend to mount it. I'll use some sturdy 7/8 clamps to mount it on the cross tube.

Attachments

• Fender On bike SM.jpg
    Fender On bike SM.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,313
  • Aprilia Fender SM2.jpg
    Aprilia Fender SM2.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 1,248

I've also need to go cut out a new gauge bracket for the speedo. The black one below was my first attempt. It wouldn't fit with the cable installed. Using the bracket that came with the gauge places it too far out, so I need to cut out a new one. My daughter helped me with the outline, as evidenced by all the scribbles.

Attachments

• Gauge bracket SM.jpg
    Gauge bracket SM.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 1,343

Beldrueger said:
Here are a few more shots. Please excuse the beach shorts, I had just come back from the beach with my daughter. I mocked it up with the carbs, filters, and battery box. There seems to be a lot of sag with me on the bike, but these are standard progressive shocks and springs for the model. I'm waiting for the rearsets and the exhaust in the mail right now, so I'll be sorting through the wiring during the wait. It'll be a few weeks before all the parts are in.

I'm over 200 lbs. In order for me to correct the sag on my XS1100, I had to source springs heavier than heady duty. I am also running Progressive springs/shocks on back.

Great job on the triple!

Since last post I have:

- Built, installed, and adjusted the throttle and clutch cables
- Figured out and installed the rear fender
- Fabbed up a new speedo mount
- Received my exhaust in, but before I install it, I need to get the oil filter sorted.

Below are some recent pics with the new cockpit and the rear fender.

Attachments

• Rear Fender.jpg
    Rear Fender.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 340
  • FrontShot2.jpg
    FrontShot2.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 337

I haven't updated in a while, and it's been slow going. I got hung up on the oil cooler for awhile, but last night, I finally got it installed. I used an Oil Cooler plate from an old Lockhart kit that I found on E-bay. The Lockhart kit uses standard NPT threads, so I just needed NPT to AN fittings to mount the oil lines to the Pro One Cooler. In the meantime, I mounted up the Raask rearsets. The stock kickstart lever won't clear the Raask rearsets, but an SR500 lever will, as you can see in the pics.

I hit another roadblock in that the beautiful NOS Hooker headers that I bought won't clear the oil filter cup. It looks like they will only work on an XS750 without a cooler. I may just have to go with a MAC until I have time to get a custom exhaust made. Given that, the NOS Hooker kit will be back on the market.

I've started the wiring, so I may just have the bike done just in time to put it in storage for winter.

Attachments

• HookerClearance.jpg
    HookerClearance.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,086
  • ProOne Cooler.jpg
    ProOne Cooler.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,122
  • SR500 Lever.jpg
    SR500 Lever.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,139
  • RaaskClearance.jpg
    RaaskClearance.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1,102

already commented on the triples site, but just wanted to say your machine is coming really coming together. Cant wait to see it finished.

I really love this bike. So clean, so classic, and yet so subtly modern.

Really impressive build and attention to detail.

I'm interested in your engine mount/stand. What is it, and where can I get one?

Back
Top Bottom