1971 CB350 Hazel

reboopie

I have wanted a bike for as long as I can remember, I have said that I would wait until all 3 of my kids were off to college before I purchased a bike. Last fall two of my three children headed off to college, ensuring that my budget for a bike is VERY limited. I began looking for at bikes to determine what I wanted. I loved the BSA's, even fell for a Monkey War but the more I looked I fell in love with the clean lines of the cafe style. So I started looking exclusively at cafe style bikes, as I looked and talked with people I decided with my husbands help I could build my own bike. My husband being the supportive person that he is surprised me with a 1976 CB360 , however it had no title (very difficult to obtain a title in Ohio), engine was seized and a host of other problems. I had to remind myself that it is the thought that counts. Time to look for my own bike! Found a 1971 Honda CB 350, the engine was rebuilt and the cafe process was already started. I purchased the bike in boxes and brought it home HAZEL was conceived!

Attachments

• MW.JPG
    MW.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 252
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 251
Now to determine what I want to do with Hazel. I knew the color scheme before I got her. Black eye purple and silver. As I didn't and still don't know all the details of how I want Hazel to look when finished so I started stripping parts.

Attachments

• stripping.jpg
    stripping.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 871
  • tankclean.jpg
    tankclean.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 246
Sandblasting and Bondo, completed by my wonderful husband. He is much, much better at this portion then I am.

Attachments

• sandblasting.jpg
    sandblasting.jpg
    382.3 KB · Views: 231
  • bondo.jpg
    bondo.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 863
First, welcome to the site and to the fun world of DIY bike customizing! The 350 is a great choice for the project and it looks like you're off to a flying start.

Any overall vision / color scheme / inspirational photos in mind?

Thanks for the welcome. I am very excited, my projected completion date is Spring 2013 when my last completes High School.

I have been spending a great deal of time polishing, I decided to stay with the drum brakes as I like the look of them better then the disk. I have to order spokes for my rims, not sure where to get them and if I should go SS. I want black rims and I am looking at doing the self etching primer method in order to paint the rims. Has anyone done this? with success? Also, recommendations for spokes would be appreciated.

Attachments

• polished.jpg
    polished.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 226
Tim said:
First, welcome to the site and to the fun world of DIY bike customizing! The 350 is a great choice for the project and it looks like you're off to a flying start.

Any overall vision / color scheme / inspirational photos in mind?

+ a bunch!

My husband is a tool maker and brought me a present. Brass Bushing!

Attachments

• IMG_5795.jpg
    IMG_5795.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 830
YogiBear said:
you can get pretty decent spokes on ebay. The stainless ones are kind of pricey

I keep looking at the SS and I think I would go that way if I were powder coating the rims but with painting them I am thinking steel. It all comes down to $$

Not sure what painting the rims has to do with the choice of material for the spokes?

Best spokes you can buy for the most part are stainless Buchanan spokes/nipples. Will run you about $100 per wheel. Paint the rims, lace them up and you're done for the rest of your life.

You can save a bit of money and get regular spokes and they'll last just as long and aren't going to rust anytime soon. If you can save a lot of money then it's worthwhile, but if you're going to save $40 total, I'd spend the extra and get Buchanan stainless.

Looks like you can get spokes out of Thailand for about $80 for both wheels, but I have no idea as to the quality. The 'Japan' ones out of Thailand are about $100 per set. Honestly, for my money I'd spend the extra and get stainless. If the bottom of the barrel is questionable quality out of Thailand for $80, vs top of the line stainless Made in the USA by Buchanan for $200, for a one time thing, I'd go Buchanan unless it's just plain impossible.

And if this is a bare-bones budget build, is there anything wrong with your spokes that some #0000 steel wool and WD40 won't cure?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-CB250-CB350-K2-FRONT-REAR-CHROME-SPOKE-72PCS-A-/150802528123?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item231c87f77b

I bought these ones from ebay. Front and rear for $55 and they look great. Nice and shiny. I liked them so much I bought 2 sets.

Tim said:
Not sure what painting the rims has to do with the choice of material for the spokes?

Best spokes you can buy for the most part are stainless Buchanan spokes/nipples. Will run you about $100 per wheel. Paint the rims, lace them up and you're done for the rest of your life.

You can save a bit of money and get regular spokes and they'll last just as long and aren't going to rust anytime soon. If you can save a lot of money then it's worthwhile, but if you're going to save $40 total, I'd spend the extra and get Buchanan stainless.

Looks like you can get spokes out of Thailand for about $80 for both wheels, but I have no idea as to the quality. The 'Japan' ones out of Thailand are about $100 per set. Honestly, for my money I'd spend the extra and get stainless. If the bottom of the barrel is questionable quality out of Thailand for $80, vs top of the line stainless Made in the USA by Buchanan for $200, for a one time thing, I'd go Buchanan unless it's just plain impossible.

And if this is a bare-bones budget build, is there anything wrong with your spokes that some #0000 steel wool and WD40 won't cure?

Sadly, I have no spokes in my wheels. When I bought the bike the young person had disposed of the spokes as he was going to replace them. The reason I was thinking SS with powder coating is I do not want to have to do anything to the rims once I get them laced. If I paint the rims I will mostly paint the spokes so it doesn't make since to paint over stainless.

$$ is a concern.

legendary_rider said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-CB250-CB350-K2-FRONT-REAR-CHROME-SPOKE-72PCS-A-/150802528123?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item231c87f77b

I bought these ones from ebay. Front and rear for $55 and they look great. Nice and shiny. I liked them so much I bought 2 sets.

How long have you had the spokes? It is good to know someone who has ordered this set.

Not long unfortunately. Wish I had tested them in depth for you. They laced up well though. Fit like a glove on the drum brake style. Had to order longer ones for the disc brake obviously. They're chromed too so that's a plus.

Over the past few days we have been working on cleaning up the frame by removing the unneeded tabs. We have also started on fabricating the seat. Using the tank from the 360 my husband purchased to make the cowl for my seat, picked up some steel and the fabrication began......

Attachments

• IMG_6966.jpg
    IMG_6966.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 1,009
  • IMG_5053.jpg
    IMG_5053.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 193
Pounding the Pan was another fun/loud adventure.

Took the bar off the back of the 360 and welded it on the 350 to support the cowl as I plan on placing my battery, etc under the cowl.
It is handy having a welder in the house ;D

Attachments

• IMG_5420.jpg
    IMG_5420.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 1,079
  • IMG_1305.jpg
    IMG_1305.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_2792.jpg
    IMG_2792.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 207
Honestly painting spokes after you lace the wheels is not a great idea. One, I wouldn't expect the finish to hold up well, but more importantly, it precludes you from ever tightening spokes etc.

You'll see some people mask off their tires and spray-bomb their wheel with appliance enamel. Looks good from far but far from good.

You've gone through all that work to polish your hubs. Take your time and prep/paint your rims. Get those chrome spokes or some zinc plated originals and lace the wheels. They'll look awesome with shiny spokes and painted rims.

Painted rims/spokes/nipples are what you'd expect to see from someone who didn't need or want to take their wheels apart but wanted to paint them. You're 90% of the way to a beautiful set of wheels that 'make sense'. Painting spokes/nipples in place is like painting a window shut.

Back
Top Bottom