1971 CB350 Hazel

andycafe said:
hey great to see a W & H team building together ;D just a note be carefull with painting rims, its more prone to chipping especially when tyres are getting fitted, powder coating really is a good idea for rims for long term longevity. just my 2cents, looking forward to following youbuild....

I really want to powder coat, I just found out we have a friend who does powder coating so I am crossing my fingers that I get a good price from him and I can afford powder coating.

My husband and I are having a great time working together on my bike. He is very supportive of my growing addiction.

Do you know how much powder coating actually costs? A pound of powder is max 20 bucks. Then hydro or gas for the oven. Pretty cheap. I have a powder coating system and junk household oven in my basement. You might want to look into that if you have a shop.

We do have a nice size garage but at this time I am not up to learning yet another new process. It is something to keep in mind as I seem to have caught the bug.

Yeah, I've got another 10 bikes to do after this one so it made sense for me. I paid 220 just to get my frame powdered. I spent that on a hotcoat gun. I figured just for frames at 220 was going to save me $2200. Then there's tanks, motors, fenders, etc. If a penny saved is a penny earned I've made a bundle.

Welded on kickstand and began the seat pan.
438c53e3-68f5-790f.jpg

438c53e3-6905-1453.jpg

legendary_rider said:
Yeah, I've got another 10 bikes to do after this one so it made sense for me. I paid 220 just to get my frame powdered. I spent that on a hotcoat gun. I figured just for frames at 220 was going to save me $2200. Then there's tanks, motors, fenders, etc. If a penny saved is a penny earned I've made a bundle.

I understand your thinking, however if I take over the entire garage Mark my not weld or machine parts for me. He has his own uses for the garage.

Mark would probably be happier than a pig in his poopy if he had his own oven and powdercoating gun. Doesn't take much space but I do have a little room that controls where powder travels though.

legendary_rider said:
Mark would probably be happier than a pig in his poopy if he had his own oven and powdercoating gun. Doesn't take much space but I do have a little room that controls where powder travels though.

If mark had his way, He would be able to fit a frame/other parts into his lunch box. At which point mark would place parts in wheel abrater (sand blaster on steroids but no air) then hang said parts on Linclon Electric's black powder paint line. But mark lost his shrink ray so this is not an option.

Fuck! Working on cleaning the engine in order to paint. As I was cleaning there was gunk next to the kickstart lever on the crankcase cover. I removed the gunk and this is what I found.

a6895826-c258-596e.jpg

Good thing I bought another parts bike last weekend. Time to drain the oil and see what's in there.

Glad I have the manual.

a689581a-c3af-a937.jpg

Step 1 is a problem as I need someone to help me lift the engine to drain the oil. Grrrrr

Time for a beer, it is 5 o'clock somewhere.

a689581a-c424-ed16.jpg

Repairs can be done with a tin-based solder as well. It can be tricky due to aluminum's tendency to oxide damn-near instantly, though. Clean well and use plenty of flux.

Very Cool Build. If my wife wanted to build a bike it would blow me away, and I would be every bit as supportive as your husband seems to be. Keep it up! looking really good!

I have two spare covers without holes. PM me a fair offer and one is yours.

After a few beers ;D I started tearing about the parts bike I picked up over the weekend. I am ready to take off the crankcase cover. If only I can get the drain plug out :mad:. Thank you everyone for the encouragement. As for Mark's support, I would not be able to do this build without him. He provides the muscle, machining, welding and painting expertise. He also provides the moral support when I need it. Next spring I will feel a little guilty when I leave him at home to head out on a ride.

reboopie said:
After a few beers ;D I started tearing about the parts bike I picked up over the weekend. I am ready to take off the crankcase cover. If only I can get the drain plug out :mad:. Thank you everyone for the encouragement. As for Mark's support, I would not be able to do this build without him. He provides the muscle, machining, welding and painting expertise. He also provides the moral support when I need it. Next spring I will feel a little guilty when I leave him at home to head out on a ride.

Next spring Mark will be sporting a lotus, or at the very least a water/meth kit for my JCW mini.

Really cool stuff so far! Im looking forward to seeing it all come together. Keep up the good work!

Slow progress on the bike lots of sanding to get the frame, seat and tank ready to paint. Found the color for the frame, still working on the tank and seat color. I received my spokes in the mail today and found a place to powder coat my rims.

Wishing I had a bike to ride while doing all this work, however if I am out riding I guess I would not be working on my bike. Trying to keep the goal in sight.

Today, Mark came home with another present for my bike. (photos to come)

He made me my rearset ;D ;D ;D

Planning on working on the bike more this weekend!

Photo of the rearset, they still need bent for clearance. They look great IMHO!

Attachments

• rearset.JPG
    rearset.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 561
Back
Top Bottom