CB360 box build - Project Junebug

Re: CB360 box build - nearing completion

trek97 said:
where are we at on this build ?

In the middle of a move... Poor timing because my piston rings had just come in. I'm trying to get her finished before August 16th, but we'll see. Right now she sits in the front yard with a garbage bag over the crank case. I'm sure that's how many motorcycles have died

plagrone said:
I haven't removed the valves yet, but the cylinders are smooth as glass and there's no condemning wear or deterioration on piston heads or combustion chambers.

The compression ring and second ring in the right cylinder were seized.
That appears to be the cause of my compression woes.

Interestingly, the valves on the right cylinder look beautiful. The valves on the left side look rusty and corroded.

Lesson learned. If your going to build a bike for six months, don't take anyone's word on the condition of your engine internals.

This happened to me with a VW PL engine I bought. I did all the work and got it into the car and when trying to turn the engine, it would seize at a specific point. One of the cylinders had a valve open when the guy had stored it, and I was now out $600. Looking good so far!

My bike is still sitting in the yard with a crankcase full of oil and a trash bag over it's head, but I'm about to get on it. I want to make it to Barbers, so I've got to DO IT already.

I went to hone my cylinders the other day, and the cordless drill I had wasn't cutting it. So what did I do? Let another road block stymie my progress for another two months? No! I hopped in ol' Rhonda the Honda and drug her ragged ass to Home Depot, where I bought a mans drill. One with a cord that plugs directly into a wall, none of that battery-powered bullshit. Cylinders honed.

Got to clean off old gasket, and put everything back together, while also installing the pamco ignition unit.

Any advice on gasket removal? Everybody has they're tricks, and I hate taking a razor blade to a mating surface.

These are the real reasons I've been slacking. Been buying and selling a bit lately
4fc8b80e691940ef57eeec4fcfff3221.jpg
130d26da0ad08602ab90ef9d644041d3.jpg
caaa609fab4ffebe0e1a469348823f45.jpg
55fbbccf9277b873dfa17ee8d927665c.jpg

Yesterday was my 26th birthday, and as a gift to myself I sat in the yard and worked on the bike all day. I ran into a couple snags while buttoning up the engine, like this sheared bolt. Which is fortunately accessible front both sides and not a huge deal.
f7cbfe9074dde60894c3d5d817d5a213.jpg

So I got the engine together and adjusted and installed the pamco ignition. I then squirted the float bowls full of gas and cranked her and SHE RUNS. The timing probably isn't perfect, and the carbs need to be adjusted, but just to hear it running after almost a full year was great. Going to neaten up the harness tomorrow and find mounting points for the electronics... Getting close to the road here. Still gotta install my slingshot cycles front brake stuff and rebuild my master cylinder but that's pretty much plug and play.

Almost ready!!
26ed9b4a74a70447dc9a67c3dee3398e.jpg

plagrone said:
https://vimeo.com/110274519

Don't worry, I have stock mufflers

Nice dude! I bet that was a welcome sound. Speaking of mufflers. I was thinking about just extending the pipes just past my rearsets and running no muffler. Is that a bad idea? I could always buy some shorty mufflers I guess

As long as the pipe is long enough it should run fine but it might be a little loud. I've seen many suggestions that the exhaust should end around the rear axle for optimal performance.

This would be the most optimal exhaust setup for the 360 ;):

Gsx400e.jpg

Rear axle is pretty much the minimum length for 360 exhaust, about foot to eighteen inches longer is optimal
deviant got in first by 15 seconds ;D
Havent tried that much pipe extension, it may just work (but looks real stupid ;D )

Toyotacrawler said:
Ok thanks!

Man I still haven't gone to Willie's to look for a temporary tank, almost went today but had to run errands after class and ran out of time. That place looks amazing

plagrone said:
Man I still haven't gone to Willie's to look for a temporary tank, almost went today but had to run errands after class and ran out of time. That place looks amazing
Thanks for the info on the pipes guys. Great heads up.

I'd like to get up to Willie's some time also. I wish they were open on Saturday's

Hahah thanks for THAT heads up. I was gonna try to go this Saturday.

Picked up a tank. Think I might stick with stock until I get the 160 tank jusssst right. The pop of color is welcome, and it makes it look a little beefier.
bad33b9a149ab26ee9b75175ea7aea9f.jpg

I've GOT to eventually get a harness from Sparck Moto... I modified my stock harness and now it's hard to make everything fit neatly. Although I have plans for some simple side covers that will cover the mess for now.

https://vimeo.com/110664266

Does this sound okay? I'm worried about that clicking noise, but the CT90 has a similar sound and I haven't seen any metal in the oil or excessive wear on anything for the last 300 miles. In other words, I don't know what a cb360 is supposed to sound like.

Maybe the cb360 gurus could weigh in. That's a little more valve noise than I'm used to but I'm still working on getting my machine to run right.

Back
Top Bottom