This 1981 BMW R100 will live to ride another day!

So today I wAs able to remove and inspect the pistons and I think thy are relatively good, I imagine I can take that carbon off with a wire brush?
50bd3f9e6dc5a46d84599d9ebf2153e3.jpg

I also removed the valves to inspect the heads. Had a spring snap on me
2bbe99528fa6d9f0b76846cadb7703f6.jpg

Now that it's all apart I shall take in the cylinders heads n valves in to get reconditioned. Part ordering time.

I've been looking around the web regarding gsxr front end conversions and have been considering picking this up from kijiji.
800454a8fb550e3b2a0f8b3b62922fd0.jpg

Any suggestions? I know I will need a steering stem bearing kit from all balls, new rotors for my BMW rims as well as some bushing for the front wheel.
Thanks for looking everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I've decided against the front end swap for now, I figure I should get the bike up and running before sinking tons of money into it.

good choice the gsxr front end is way to short anyway
its not an upgrade if it don't work
you'll end up grinding the cylinder heads in the curves ;D

Yea exactly, and on top of that why spend $1000 on a front end when I got a minty stock front end already. I just purchased new bearings for the steering stem and hopefully I can get it together soon, unfortunately snow has started falling today....

1000 for a gsxr front is highway robbery. We've picked good sets up for 200-300. That said, I agree with keeping stock for now.

Well the front end itself wasn't 1000 but I figure at the end of the conversion I'd be into the front end nearly $1000

One question I have for u guys is if I got the 81-on nakasil non-borable cylinders, with the pictures I have posted above of the cylinders are those basically garbage or will those still function fine ? If not is ther anything that can be done to save em?

Xb33bsa I did not ignore what u had said before about replating but just wondering if it can still be done with non borable

Beauty I contacted them and they said they can do it! Unfortunately at a cost of $300 per cylinder so I will try some local places see what I can find

Good to see a beemer getting back on the road. I am currently doing a 1981 R100RT up myself however I don't have a thread on DTT.

Just thinking about your spring cracking - perhaps it's wise to replace the other springs as well given they may all be the same age and subjected to the same usage? Last thing you want is a dropped valve!

I saw earlier you asked a question about rings - 1981 was the first year of Nikasil cylinder. The rings for the Nikasil cyls only come in one size as there is no oversize. I'm glad your cylinders are repairable, I was worried about the damage on the skirt.

You may know already, but Max BMW have all the microfiche online for the beemers making part number hunting extremely easy http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/PartsFiche.aspx

If you have any queries, please don't hesitate to ask me. I've had a few head scratch moments so far and am happy to pass on my learnings. Had to chase out my fair share of electrical gremlins too....

Fillionj said:
So I've decided against the front end swap for now, I figure I should get the bike up and running before sinking tons of money into it.

If you decide to do a swap in the future, look towards mx/enduro forks, newer KTMs for example. These are longer than bikes' and can be made stiffer if needed too.

Awesome thanks for the input guys! I thought the exact same and am ordering 4 new valve springs. I have also ordered two sets of piston rings. Last night I got my front and rear main seAl in and hope I can get to that this weekend. Feels like there are tons of little parts that I would still have if I had done the tear down myself... Can't assemble front end until I get my Fork ear rubber rings.
For tonight I think I'll load up my frame n wheels n take em to the car wash.

tdpomodoro said:
Good to see a beemer getting back on the road. I am currently doing a 1981 R100RT up myself however I don't have a thread on DTT.

Just thinking about your spring cracking - perhaps it's wise to replace the other springs as well given they may all be the same age and subjected to the same usage? Last thing you want is a dropped valve!

I saw earlier you asked a question about rings - 1981 was the first year of Nikasil cylinder. The rings for the Nikasil cyls only come in one size as there is no oversize. I'm glad your cylinders are repairable, I was worried about the damage on the skirt.

You may know already, but Max BMW have all the microfiche online for the beemers making part number hunting extremely easy http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/PartsFiche.aspx

If you have any queries, please don't hesitate to ask me. I've had a few head scratch moments so far and am happy to pass on my learnings. Had to chase out my fair share of electrical gremlins too....

Honestly I am still concerned about the damage on the skirt... I'll prob keep stressing until it gets straightened out.... If only I could get some time to take the cyl/heads and valves in.

0847859e3774be92bdd0b4f501224aea.jpg

409524b99adf752eca2741a103665708.jpg

Just ordered this seat off ebay last week, the seat cowl is made of metal not plastic so I was debating a brushed metal look for tank n seat. Not set in stone yet but an idea! What do u guys think

Just got my piston rings in today and found this fairing as well on kijiji

1b85b0c7c8c86287afd0d1888ecfa004.jpg
09c78dac278e1c093c8fd19ccd4744d0.jpg
f3c72f9584c1743610fde4cdfe1a0749.jpg

I know it will be a while until it gets used but still exciting !
Assuming my new steering stem bearings come in by Friday I'll have the frame
Rolling by the weekend, stay tunned for pics, sorry but progress as well as picture will make this a bit more
Exciting.

I missed the detail on the piston skirt - damaged ? Any actual damage - bent, chipped, broken on the skirts is an instant bin job for me as there is almost bound to be unseen stress around the area.

re: the dilemma with the condition of the bores - I'd look for a good set of used barrels pistons even with new rings, still work out cheaper than $300 per.

Over this side of the pond a good set of barrels / piston swould run around £100 [ $150 ?? ].

Nice score on the fairing [ and seat ]. personally I'd go for a trad 60's / 70's paint job ............... timeless [ and classy ]

Black with white pinstriping would do it for me. 8)

Post a pic of this classy black w/ white pin stripe, sounds sexy as hell.
Only trouble with the fairing is it did not come with the mounting brackets and online they seem to cost a bajillion $$, sure I can rig something up at a more reasonable price.

I'll check out ebay for some new barrels, when I was inspecting the one barrel with chipped sleeve last night I was thinking that the piston wouldn't even reach that part of the barrel? But I have no experience with this shit so u guys are my voice of reason.
Thanks!

Ouuuuuuu dayym, the black looks very clean, would look nice with the starter cover and head covers being black as well

Back
Top Bottom