This 1981 BMW R100 will live to ride another day!

Fillionj said:
Just got my piston rings in today and found this fairing as well on kijiji

1b85b0c7c8c86287afd0d1888ecfa004.jpg
09c78dac278e1c093c8fd19ccd4744d0.jpg
f3c72f9584c1743610fde4cdfe1a0749.jpg

I know it will be a while until it gets used but still exciting !
Assuming my new steering stem bearings come in by Friday I'll have the frame
Rolling by the weekend, stay tunned for pics, sorry but progress as well as picture will make this a bit more
Exciting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's an R90S bikini fairing. If you decide to run it, install it so it's FRAME mounted, don't mount it to the forks like BMW did, the result could be a violent head shake if you tend to 'do the ton'. You can start with an RT fairing spider mount and modify it to suit the 90S fairing.This is a common conversion for perforemance oriented riders of the R90S. You'd also save a ton of $, as the 90S fairing mounting hardware is frikkin PRICEY!

awesome! Yea 90s fairing mount on eBay cost twice what I paid for fairing. I'll check ebay for the RT spider mount! Does it matter what year it is or are they all the same

Yep they all beat me to it ! I have some pix somewhere of a Cafe'd Beemer in Black / White pinstripe - looks awesome.

I guess you are situated in US/Canada ? Pity - fairing mounts are relatively inexpensive in the UK - but shipping would be a bust. Not rocket science to make some, even with limited skills / facilities [ like me ].

Re: Barrel skirt [ NOT piston skirt ??? ].

Simply dress the area with a round file in a nice semi circle [ from inside - out ] - finish off with finer file and emery cloth. No sharp jagged edges means less chance of a future stress riser.

Yea I think I'll take the above advice and modify a er fairing mount, shouldn't be too hard and can be bought on eBay for $50. Did I say piston skirt? If I did my bad! So basically file off any sharp/jagged edges and make smooth! Headed to canadian tire after work to get a blow torch in order to take off these old steering bearings!

If anyone has a pic of the rt fairing modified to fit RS fairing please post I haven't found any yet

Yep, that's an RT spider, a great starting point to mount the S fairing. Here's a link to a thread dealing with this exact issue. A few pics too: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=747394

Aha that is an awesome thread, I just joined that forum too! Give me some reading material while I'm at work f$?&ing the dog thx a lot guys. Since I'm a ways away from setting up the fairing I'll wait till I find a cheap one. Those dam bearings still haven't come in grrrrr

One more question u guys may be able to help me with, when I picked this bike up as you guys know it was in like 20 boxes all stripped down. I have read all over that I should keep respective push rods and lifters together and returned in the same location. Well my lifters n push rods were in a little box together, does it matter which I put where ? My bad if this is a stupid question

They seem to be in great shape ! The only wear on the lifters would be pitting on the surface if any right ?

So still waiting on those steering bearings so I was researching info on my valves and came across a thread saying that 81-84 valve seats had some troubles and should be considered.

So these are my seats and valves I don't have enough knowledge to know for sure wat shape they are in.

e3f6f103a6e9497441e97092e85052b5.jpg
144ad681b8ca2c9acac6dbad4b819036.jpg
eace8b3b309839229602f31333fcc934.jpg
34cf2b75b7cf33a0178842d84c468e7f.jpg
3ee1ceec51740ca259e96166fbfc89b1.jpg
52b534f826f1737f69c27e6565823fa4.jpg
0e4d050931dde1f24183eab3691c8d18.jpg
7f8c46c7e0edbbad802d3dec20d3bb1e.jpg
df0978550eb411c8fedefc0eda8525dc.jpg

And this is my new pup Winton the Welsh terrier, one day he will fetch my tools...
c18074c054a08a24759d0dc326c327fb.jpg

I did read that the exhaust valves eventually get sucked through after wearing out specifically on these seats, and well these exhaust valves look like they have so wear on em, please enlighten me !!!

those exhaust valves are scrap,likely the intakes as well,the intake valve stems need to be measurerd, all the valve guides need to be checked.....so you need to find a quality, trustworthy machine shop this is not something you can do

xb33bsa said:
those exhaust valves are scrap,likely the intakes as well,the intake valve stems need to be measurerd, all the valve guides need to be checked.....so you need to find a quality, trustworthy machine shop this is not something you can do

yep +1 on that ..................... however, if you are on a tightish budget the same trustworthy machineshop can reface the valves and re-cut the seats and lap everything in.

Wear on your exhaust valves are typical "undercut" - could be down to using unleaded gas ?? IF that's the case, the same sort of wear will occur quite rapidly [ relative ] unless you use a leaded addative. The seats actually look quite good with a consistent seal.

IF the valves are refaced and lapped in - you will need to check the installed height of the valve / spring assembly. This is maybe getting a bit anal, but the valve springs will effectively be slightly less compressed due to the valve stem being further into the spring seat area. THAT said, high mileage springs will be compressed anyway due to "wear".

In the good old days when this was normal practice, shims were available from the various manufacturers to go under the spring next to the seat to compensate. I guess if you're going this far, then new valve springs would be on the shopping list.

You would need to compare the price of refurbing the existing valves against new ones.

+1 on what XB said about the valve guides

Since the engine was torn down by the PO, I would assume it needed a full rebuild. I would send those heads out to Randy Long and have them refurbished. A hotter cam, new lifters and pushrods, lighten the flywheel, and build it into the monster it can be. Yeah, it's a bit of dough, but do it once, do it right. :D

Back
Top Bottom