This 1981 BMW R100 will live to ride another day!

Fillionj said:
So I'm trying to figure out everything that I need and that I have,
So far I got
-new piston rings x 2 sets
-steering bearings
-valve springs x4
-inlet valves (on the way) x 2
-push rod seals x 4
-large cylinder o rings x 2
-small cylinder o rings x 4
-head gasket x 2
-other gasket for valve coverx2
- new oil filter

What I can think of that I need
-oil pan gasket
-timing cover gasket w/ two o rings for up top
-exhaust valves x2

Am I leaving anything out that is normally required to be replaced while rebuilding an engine ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for the delay - Monday was a waste of time day !!

Spoke to Tom at James Sherlock's this am - I've used them for years.

I have some prices for you - but the best bet is to go onto their website - it has all the prices and diagrams listed. I think you'll be impressed with the prices. Valve guides £11.00 each, valve springs £25 set, keepers [ collets ] £8.00 set ...................... Quality is also first class.

Contact Tom via the website [ www.james-sherlock.co.uk ] and tell him TJ from RAMSHOX sent you.

56976f76af09f18d594d16069a4c4b6f.jpg

Is what I've got so far, still gotta check my exhaust size, and get my thickness gauge for measuring valve guides. Have any of u used the special gaskets for at the bottom of the cylinders ? Or just the large o-ring with the two smaller ones up top?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So after some deliberation I've decided to redo the bike relatively stock, that being said I did get a bunch of stuff powder coated and picked it up on Sunday, looks fricken amazing.
7f32f624c97ac85e085882ffdf2dc2c3.jpg

I had also gotten him to blast my barrels, heads n cover which I also think turned out great.
00f42afbfe1c83bda8e890cdd1872003.jpg

I know I've been moving slow but the cold weather here in winnipeg has limited me to my basement.
I just received my swingarm bearings and before installing these imma paint my swingarm myself, did not wana remove the driveshaft to get it coated.

Just came across a couple post regarding 1981 r100 center stand troubles... Do any of u have any experience with this? Should I bother using the stock one or should I just upgrade?

A little off topic but I figure this is the place to ask, I've been looking over diagrams regarding reassembly of my engine and when going over the oil pump part there is something about a woodruff key. Now I got no clue what a woodruff key is and or if my bike even has one ? Can someone enlighten me ?

woodruf key is a key located in a shaft to allow a shaft to transmit rotational force to a hub on said shaft
a woodruff key is halfmoon shaped athough you cannot tell unless it is removed from the shaft

XT250_0713.jpg

So I brought in my engine to the machine shop so they could inspect the usual wear spots. Since I doubt I'll ever have it this far down again imma replace the bearings and thrust washers in there. When looking at part diagrams I come across different sizes for the bearings and washers, how do I know which corresponds to my bike?

There also seems to be a lot of corrosion on one of my heads where the head gasket goes. Is there a specific or safe amount which I can resurface these heads / grind down? Without increasing compression too much?

As well I was looking at how to put my rocker arms back on and since I didn't do the disassembly I was wondering which way the notch faces and which way the rocker arm shaft faces ?

e20c4d8d281d8775ee339c88615b1734.jpg

Got the bike out of my basement and slapped the rear wheel and swing arm

Got a bunch a parts in a bucket from when I bought the bike apart can anyone help me pin point where some of these go?
fa4129f096544a0967195a5cef165f44.jpg

Also was wondering if ther is a special way to pop on the kickstand ?
532322cc86fe62846759323270fa6054.jpg
08340ade705bbf5af284f349c0344cdf.jpg

And lastly was wondering if this was the proper routing or should it go the one passage above ?

c79a37bb3e7e137a279fb5bcad1ebe92.jpg

Sorry I have been off the boards for a while. I can post a few pictures of mine if it helps. Hope things are coming along. I had been keeping mine kinda stock then just went wild and now I'm going to cafe it out in the next couple weeks.

Back
Top Bottom