1973 XL175 Vitamin C Hell Ride

Re: 1973 XL175 Orange Soda Hell Ride

it could simply be a problem with the exhaust being to short and causing the missfires

they dont like that so dont try to "fix " or troubleshoot to much till it has good points and exhaust

While I'm heavily leaning toward keeping this a mostly stock bike, I'm still tossing around the idea of going with a flat tracker influenced design. Design idea #1 is styled after a Ron Wood flat tracker:

191540055_f4RiW-M.jpg

The XL has a very wide and rounded rear hoop, so this design may not make sense without narrowing the hoop to more of a point like Wood's Rotex. Regardless, here is the proposal:

Attachments

• XL_tracker_01.jpg
    XL_tracker_01.jpg
    858.8 KB · Views: 467

Make the lines of the tail end match the rounded, yet still angular lines of the tank and I'm in. As is, the design looks a bit waspy, but I really like the general lines

Cut the top off that tank shape...and it would be cool for sure. Gonna be hard with the flip tail to get it like you want maybe. Get you a cardboard mock up and we can cold mold it in fiberglass. ..hot coat it like a surfboard to get it smooth.

plagrone said:
... the design looks a bit waspy ...

Ellwood said:
Cut the top off that tank shape...

Therein lies the problem with such a wide tail hoop. The tank width is half the width of the tail at most, so making such a square form doesn't lend itself so well with blending into the width smoothly. I could go with the more common seat:

dts5.jpg

But even then, I'd have to alter the tail.

Brat it and screw the fender under the back. ..flat seats are great for strapping stuff to.

Ha. Hell no, I won't brat this thing. ;) I like the sweep. I'd triangulate the rear hoop before I did that.

Got it...maybe try adding to the middle of the tank shape to get width. ..or maybe even dropping the back edges over the hoop to lessen the upward look a little. A radical idea would be to send the seat pan under the hoop and display the hoop as a feature...but that would get dicey

Ellwood said:
Got it...maybe try adding to the middle of the tank shape to get width. ..or maybe even dropping the back edges over the hoop to lessen the upward look a little. A radical idea would be to send the seat pan under the hoop and display the hoop as a feature...but that would get dicey
Well... here is #4. This design also gives some vertical space to french a tail light.

Attachments

• XL_tracker_04.jpg
    XL_tracker_04.jpg
    859.1 KB · Views: 494

Cool...like a guard for the tail and you could still use it for a tie down

deviant said:
Ha. Hell no, I won't brat this thing. ;) I like the sweep. I'd triangulate the rear hoop before I did that.

hah a fellow bratist !! bravo sir

i have a suggestion on the tracker deal, raise up the back of the tank till it sits level and use a longer version of your seat idear and make the top of the seat cushion as high as the rear of the tank ,like the woods
it is a small bike you need some room to move around, no fun being stuck cramped up against the tank all the time

The rear of the tank is raised to level and the seat support is moved further back.
c1242cf1d752ea810e4aa0e6c1575ecb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was a little curious...

There is some common geometry between this XL and the XR. However, the XR100 is about 1.5" narrower. I wonder if a larger XR (250?) could donate its rear end to an XL.
f5aac715a38757632bf64fc73bfa2efa.jpg

Not for this bike, but I wonder...

are you thinking about going long travel single shock and long travel forks ? or just single shock rear ?
keep in mind the xl175 is a very underpowered bike, they weren't very well recieved because they were so horribly slow

xb33bsa said:
are you thinking about going long travel single shock and long travel forks ? or just single shock rear ?
keep in mind the xl175 is a very underpowered bike, they weren't very well recieved because they were so horribly slow
No, I'll stick with a slightly modified stock dual rear shock setup. This bike will eventually go to the wife as a learner. They just seem so close, it got me thinking. It could be interesting for a larger displacement XL if the geometry remains so close with the larger XR's. The spine lines up almost perfectly and some of the holes line up as well. It's as if Honda just altered the XL frame to create the XR.

finish fixing it properly paint it up nice dont screw with it all and enjoy and ride it for the rest of your life !

its a xl175 it is what it is dont fukc with perfection lol if you " fix " it enough it will break

for sure if the wife is going to ride it

just my 2 cents worth

You outta restore it enduros hold there value like a gun

Don't be confused. This frame is not getting chopped up.

1973 XL175 Orange Soda Hell Ride

Rough out of the tail section.

65375f0269d6eb888becaab8aa232d04.jpg

Back
Top Bottom