'73 CB250 - Doing it right this time round.

Bit of detail work.

Attachments

• 423.JPG
    423.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 222
Found some time to clean up the number plate bracket and one of my rearset mounts. Had some filing and shaping work to do on them.

Will hopefully get round to doing the other one by the weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_0408.JPG
    IMG_0408.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 214
  • IMG_0407.JPG
    IMG_0407.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 213
  • IMG_0406.JPG
    IMG_0406.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 207
  • IMG_0409.JPG
    IMG_0409.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 211
  • IMG_0415.JPG
    IMG_0415.JPG
    645.8 KB · Views: 210
Maritime said:
I Think he cut them by hand from the looks of the drilled corners. Nice clean work if so.

Thanks guys, yeah they were cut and shaped by hand. Still got a bit of tidying up to do on the corners of the 'cut-out'.

Habanero52 said:
WOW!!!! Nice job!!!

Cheers Habanero!

Thinking about the mounting for these at the minute. I was gonna weld them straight to the frame rails, and remove the original mounting points. Now thinking of cutting them in half and butting up against the original mounts for added strength.

Still planning on using the arms and pegs from my rear sets.

Attachments

• IMG_0436.JPG
    IMG_0436.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0435.JPG
    IMG_0435.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0434.JPG
    IMG_0434.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 208
  • IMG_0432.JPG
    IMG_0432.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 197
that is great looking work you got going.before you get too far tho,you must leave something with at least as much structural integrity that joins the swingarm bolt to the frame as did the original bolt-on plate.

Im thinking of leaving the main mount for that plate (the one closest to the swinagarm bolt), trimming the plate so it fits onto their but doesn't wrap around the frame rails, and welding it on in place. That way, I have removed about 3/4 of the weight of the plate (replaced by the weight of my rearset brackets), and because it is now welded solidly to the mount and rails it would have more structural integrity than the original bolted plate.

So effectively, I would only have the section drawn in red below.

The only thing is I currently cant remember whether the plate needs to be removed for any purpose so I shall check in the garage today.

Attachments

• IMG_0434_2.jpg
    IMG_0434_2.jpg
    429.6 KB · Views: 218
Finished the second bracket. There's a bit of overcut on one of them which I may try and file out soon but at the minute i'm not fussed. I'm sure once its powdered over you won't even notice it.

Next up is to get them drilled and welded on. Then drill the slots on the number plate bracket so I can mount it.

Attachments

• 440.JPG
    440.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 199
  • 441.JPG
    441.JPG
    765.7 KB · Views: 192
  • 442.JPG
    442.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 213
  • 443.JPG
    443.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 191
Green199 said:
Im thinking of leaving the main mount for that plate (the one closest to the swinagarm bolt), trimming the plate so it fits onto their but doesn't wrap around the frame rails, and welding it on in place. That way, I have removed about 3/4 of the weight of the plate (replaced by the weight of my rearset brackets), and because it is now welded solidly to the mount and rails it would have more structural integrity than the original bolted plate.

So effectively, I would only have the section drawn in red below.

The only thing is I currently cant remember whether the plate needs to be removed for any purpose so I shall check in the garage today.

I'm now thinking of leaving this original plate bolt-on, but trimming it very close to the frame rail. As it has only one fixing until the swingarm bolt is fitted, the proximity of the cut and the frame tube will in essence act as an 'anti-rotation' device. The only downside to this is a reduction in the structural rigidity that the plate is there to provide.

The welding approach will make it much more difficult to position the swingarm with its dust caps and seals in the correct place. Ideally the plate needs to be removed in order to give the components enough space for assembly.

Rather than re-invent the wheel, i've been looking at some 250/350 race bikes to see how they deal with removing the passenger peg bracket.

I found a solution on eBay which is similar to what I was envisioning. The plate which replaces the bracket is now welded on to the frame tube, and supports the swingarm pivot bolt. So i'm gonna try and create something similar.

The frame is shown below!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Cb350k4-Race-Frame-/181858731826?hash=item2a57a00732&nma=true&si=TS7FkjeAxRTQaz247f5deASZTA8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Has anyone ever had experience with gasless MIG welding?

With the few frame mods I need doing, i'm looking at learning how to weld myself so that I can complete them at my own pace. Just looking around for a MIG welder I can get my hands on, and all I can find is the gasless versions. Are they worth it, or should I pay the extra £100+ for a proper gas MIG setup?

There is no such machine as a gasless MIG.

MIG=Metal Inert Gas. You are referencing a Flux Cored Wire Feed welder.

Buy a MIG/Flux welder. You don't have to buy all the gas equipment right from the start, just buy the welder and run flux cored wire until you can afford a bottle, gauges, etc.

DohcBikes said:
There is no such machine as a gasless MIG.

MIG=Metal Inert Gas. You are referencing a Flux Cored Wire Feed welder.

Buy a MIG/Flux welder. You don't have to buy all the gas equipment right from the start, just buy the welder and run flux cored wire until you can afford a bottle, gauges, etc.

True, but they are widely known as gasless MIG over in the UK. Obviously that's due to the shielding gas being produced by the flux cored wire....anyway.

Have you had experience using flux core wire? Is it any easier to weld with compared to standard MIG, and do you get the same penetration etc?

You can get good penetration with Flux-core, but it is a messier weld. Throws slag all over the place. Nothing a grinder can't clean up.

JustinLonghorn said:
You can get good penetration with Flux-core, but it is a messier weld. Throws slag all over the place. Nothing a grinder can't clean up.

Cool, I may look at picking one up then If I can. I would prefer a Gas/No Gas system, but if not I'll settle for what I can find.

If you're going to do a fair bit of welding, it's worth it to pony up for the gas bottle of 75/25 industrial mix. Flux core wire costs more and it's messier. Some people use the flux core outside because it's not affected by wind. If your welder isn't going to be moved around much, or if you're putting everything on a cart, get the bottle. That said, it's more important to have infinite adjustments on the voltage and wire speed. Many of the cheaper welders are less adjustable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom