1982 Kawasaki KZ1100 Cafe/Brat Project

jeffw

Been Around the Block
Picked up this bike last week non running on the cheap. After digging into the top end I discovered valve clearances were non-existent so hopefully that fixes the issue. I plan to run a leak down test this weekend to determine if there are any other issues before disassemble the bike. Plan to cut as much weight as possible and upgrade suspension, exhaust, ignition and re-wire the bike due to PO hacking it up. Here are some pictures of the current bike

Here is my attempt at photoshop of what I am shooting for, minus the exhaust (more minimal approach).

More progress on the bike did leak down test and all cylinders less than 10% (cold) that is really good. Here are some progress photos.

Frame prepped for hoop

Engine

Parts are slowly coming in, experimenting with indicator panel, and metal for seat pan & battery box

More progress pics, I have figured out rear sets. Took a shoot in the dark by buying some r6 rear sets for cheap off Ebay.

A piece of flat plate (will shape to match existing) and an extra bolt. Almost fits perfectly, even existing bolts from R6 rearsets thread into existing threaded hole. Won't know until its back together whether I will have any clearance issues.

More progress on bike, welded loop on and welds cleaned up.

Engine cleaned up and painted, still need to shine up covers

Seat pan built and bent

Indicator panel built

New 12 Cell battery, still brainstorming on how to attach to engine

More progress on bike, been doing little misc. painting and figuring out where electronics are going to go, due to how far out the powdercoater is currently.

Current gauge setup, will know once I get everything hooked up whether the aftermarket gauges will work with existing electronic pickups for tach & speedo

Got the seat back from the upholster, I think it turned out pretty good and should be pretty comfortable.

More progress finally got the parts back from the powdercoater. Can't find the pin for shaft so new one on the way, so hopefully be able to see how the bike will actually sit but pleased with the overall look.

Can't seem to find the perfect spot the battery, let me know your thoughts. I have box for it but may need to make my own cause the one I got is too big to fit the spaces I am looking at.
Between swing arm and frame? seems to travel fine without catching

On the swing arm?

Underneath the swingarm?

On the frame somehow? Doesn't quite fit in space between the bars

Here the battery box about 1/3 bigger, may have to build my own

Well got her running and drug out of the basement w/ 4 people and some come-alongs and still was a little sketchy at that. Still running a bit lean but pretty close and will need a new valve cover gasket as it dripping pretty good if I run it for very long. Will post a video once I get the oil leak fixed and the carbs dialed in. It sounds similar to the 650 but definitely has a deeper sound and growl to it.

Ya couldn't get even past throttle before exceeding the speed limit in town, and that is before the carbs are dialed in. Should be a nice bike for the highway and mountain roads around the area.

Back
Top Bottom