Auxiliadora 1981 CB750 Build

Wiring questions for the wiring gurus

So I've come to the point in my wiring where I need some help. Wiring the motogadget was easy enough however incorporating the original components of the wiring harness are leaving my stumped. I'm going to point out everything as best I can and hope that someone can help me out cause at this point I only have the wiring and the tuning to go before this beauty can start!!

1. Regulator/Rectifier

So to break everything down and make it nice and simple the Reg/Rec has essentially 2 parts to it.

PART 1: A set of yellow and black cables (larger connector of the two) that connects to the stock alternator wiring. Easy given that its a direct connection)

PART 2: 1 Green wire, 1 Red wire, and 1 black wire (wires that are originally in the smaller connector.

Red wire: Goes to my Starter Relay located on my Starter Solenoid ? Not sure how that would connect but that's what I've read on another
Green wire: The ground (simple enough)

Black wire: I need to splice the black wire in to the wire coming from the ignition switch(key), and going into the m-unit ? reason being is
that it needs to be connected to a wire that when the key is off reads 0 V to ground, and when the key is on the same wire reads
12 V to ground ?

2. Pulse Generator cable, spark units and the ignition coils

For the most part I've just been looking at this wiring diagram as it seems to be decently accurate, colours and all or at least I hope it is

VGWHuQv.jpg

Given I do what i mentioned with respect to the Reg/Rec and follow the wiring diagram I've attached for the Pulse Generator cable, spark units and the ignition coils would that work?? Any opinions would be appreciated!

Also, is there any recommendations for upgrading any components? I know a ton of people recommend upgrading the Reg/Rec given these bikes tend to have recharging issues but what about anything else?

Please remember to go easy on me in the case i ask very stupid questions hahah wiring just isn't my thing

Thanks everyone!

ps... GO JETS GO!!!!!!! WOOOOO

The three most annoying things on the DOHC is the charging system, the carbs, and the ignition system. Upgrade these three.

Since you’re going with no airbox, I would start with the carbs. There’s a relay mod for the ignition coils. It basically bypasses the ignition switch. That paired with better coils will get you by for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Update time!

So since last posting I've gotten the wiring done for the most part. I've tested to make sure that I've done it correctly by testing to make sure the starter turns over and I have a spark and so far so good. The only wire that needs to be connected at this point is the wire for the start button. However, I think I'm going to have to check my connections in my controls for a bad ground as when I touch the start wire from the m button to a wire from a button on my controls the start feature just automatically functions (tries to turn the starter). Hoping I can take a look at that today. Otherwise, all the wiring is loomed up! Ill have a picture once I feel like everything is properly tucked.

Aside from the wiring, I've run the clutch cable and the throttle cables through the frame in preparation for the carbs. As of right now I'm waiting on getting my order of new jets and a fuel filter from fortnine. Went with 98's and 125's for the jets since I'll be running pods and have the 4-1 exhaust.

The last thing to do is get a seat made and the bike will be done for the most part (for now atleast)

Update time!

In the process of waiting for the jets I decided to paint the tank and cowl... The cowl is currently still being worked on to get the correct symmetry and curvature because I'm a bit OCD, but as of right now this is where they are at...

Tank & Cowl

f6zYpZm.jpg

mfiyX6C.jpg

As you can see there is a lot of pitting and unevenness with respect to body lines in the cowl

VjjeBfr.jpg

K6tdrAN.jpg

These pictures aren't the best pictures but after a ton of body filler, sanding, more body filler, more sanding, primer, sanding, body filler, and more sanding, etc this is currently how the cowl looks. It still requires a ton of sand, body filler, and primer (as you could have probably guessed) but there is not longer any pitting and I've managed to get the body lines to match pretty well with regards to height and spacing after a ton of measuring and rechecking. Once I'm happy with the shape and symmetry I'll be painting the cowl to match the tank colour.

0GmBcmG.jpg

Tank after paint stripper is applied to get old clear coat off. After this process was done I sanded with multiple grades of sand paper and polished as best I could.

8Mq8vi0.jpg

gB6zrax.jpg

Tank after being polished

eaisXkd.jpg

hNv9unQ.jpg

End result. I painted the taking using a satin black paint with a satin clear. I was hoping it would come out a little less glossy so I'm still currently undecided on the colour but given my frame is a glossy black it might work. Only time will tell at this point how I feel about it. (The lettering is edited, I just wanted to see how it would look.)

I also installed one of the side plates which covers the electronics

g8bdrdn.jpg

RKb7IF1.jpg

It might be hard to see but the bend in the cover matches the rear frame (I'll get better pictures in the future)

Aside from the tank and cowl I also got my new jets in. Installed them and set the fuel mixture screws to 2.5 turns as per a post recommendation I saw on another forum. I also ended up polishing the tops and bottoms of the carbs

JaDStgO.jpg

quick before and after

And so this is the point we have all been waiting for. The point at which I install the carbs, put some new oil in, add some gas, and turn this thing on and so that's exactly what I did and believe it or not surprise surprise..... i was met with more work :D (bet you thought I was going to say it ran like a dream and i set off into the sunset)

Problem #1

I turn the key, the motogadget m unit turns on, I test my lights to make sure everything works, and it does. I put the bike into neutral, pull in the clutch, hit the start button..... and nothing. I scratch my head and find that when I press and hold the start button I am getting a spark as you can hear it. However, the starter isn't turning over. At this point 4 things come to mind:

1. The starter needs to be replaced (doubted that was the case because the starter was working perfectly fine before the rebuild, confirmed starter is ok later in this post)

2. The starter solenoid is bad and needs to be replaced (This could be the case however I replaced the old starter solenoid before the rebuild when i was getting the bike a safety and it was working perfectly fine... however it's possible it has gone bad as it was just a replacement off amazon, does anyone know of a way to test these starter solenoids?)

3. The wiring was done wrong (This is one of the more likely cases given i'm new to wiring, however as far as I can see everything is done correctly with the starter.... The starter is in place (there isn't a specific ground wire for the starter as far as I'm aware, it just grounds via its position), the main wire from the starter is connected to the starter solenoid, so the solenoid has the main starter cable and on the other side a cable going to the positive battery terminal. I also have the the red wire from the Reg/Rec connected to the solenoid post that holds the battery cable, and I also have a wire from the start input of the motogadget m unit connected to the post on the solenoid that has the main cable from the starter.. maybe this is my problem? Looking at the following diagram I also don't have a wire coming from the spark units to the starter solenoid which might also be a problem.. Can anyone make a comment on this?

VGWHuQv.jpg

4. The battery is just to weak (really just a guess)

The last problem I'm having is with my throttle push and pull cables. The throttle just doesn't snap back at all and sticks. Part of this could be due to the fact that I need to play with the cable adjustments but it could also be that I need new cables. I'm going to try and make some adjustments and if that doesn't help I'm going to order all to cables.

Even with all these problems however, a friend and myself did manage to get the bike started which was HUGE for me because the engine didn't blow up or make any bad noises ;D ;D. We did so by jumping the starter (which showed me that the starter is fine). The bike didn't run for long as it didn't have a steady flow of gas going into it and it did rev quite high on it's own randomly but I think that's in part due to the fact that the engine was rebuilt, oil had to be circulated, the carbs need to be tuned/adjusted, and the throttle sticks slightly. But over all I'm happy and can see the light at the end of the tunnel finally.

Here is a video of the bike starting (please don't judge my face at the end panicing ;D the bike is loud as hell and I didn't expect it to rev as high as it did so it freaked me out)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95dr3kXocBo

Alright so I figured out my starting issue. Turns out I didn't have the cables on the starter solenoid connected properly! so that's huge! Now it's just a matter of getting new cables and tuning the carbs!

PRIMEWORKS said:
Alright so I figured out my starting issue. Turns out I didn't have the cables on the starter solenoid connected properly! so that's huge! Now it's just a matter of getting new cables and tuning the carbs!

I was going to say: doesn’t the m unit eliminate the starter solenoid?

I’m probably wrong, and don’t have any experience with the m-unit, but I thought that was one of the features

These carbs are a super PITA. I’m following and wishing you all the luck.

It only replaces the starter solenoid if the starter motor draws low amperage, less than 30a I think, which these bikes do not, starter solenoid is required.

LiamG6 said:
It only replaces the starter solenoid if the starter motor draws low amperage, less than 30a I think, which these bikes do not, starter solenoid is required.

Wow. Good to know. How many amps do they draw? I personally am not a fan of the solenoid. Main reason being I can’t find a decent mounting point. Curious what your doing with yours

LiamG6 said:

^^ Exactly what he said lol. I'm not 100% sure about the amperage but I'd imagine it's a lot bigger then 30.

88SS said:
Wow. Good to know. How many amps do they draw? I personally am not a fan of the solenoid. Main reason being I can’t find a decent mounting point. Curious what your doing with yours

As of right now it's kind of just in my wiring hanging in a random spot lol. If you've noticed I haven't posted a single picture of my wiring because as of right now it's not very neat in my electronics box. Once the bike is up and running properly I'll likely make the wiring a lot neater but for right now my main goal was to just get it to work lol. I'll potentially also make a wiring diagram for the bike but for the most part it would be very similar to the one I've already posted.

PRIMEWORKS said:
^^ Exactly what he said lol. I'm not 100% sure about the amperage but I'd imagine it's a lot bigger then 30.

As of right now it's kind of just in my wiring hanging in a random spot lol. If you've noticed I haven't posted a single picture of my wiring because as of right now it's not very neat in my electronics box. Once the bike is up and running properly I'll likely make the wiring a lot neater but for right now my main goal was to just get it to work lol. I'll potentially also make a wiring diagram for the bike but for the most part it would be very similar to the one I've already posted.

Don’t feel bad. Mine is also a dangler LMAO.

The Jimbonaut said:
Looking great - really like Auxiliadora written like that on the tank too

Thanks man!

So literally just ordered some new cables (push/pull, clutch, and choke cable). The push and pull cables I ordered says they'll fit cb750's from 1969 to 1976 and not an 81 however I can't imagine them not still working with my carbs as the the length will work and the fittings on the end are the same as far as I can see. Once they come in that's when I'll go back to working on the bike.

CCS-5-short-cable-set-throttle-clutch-honda-cb550-cb750-1977-1978-clubman-clip-on__57907.1494544903.750.750.jpg

Motion_Pro_Choke_Cable_02_0157_Honda_CB750K_CB750F_CB750A_super_sport_supersport_CB900F_CB900C_1__52609.1364588569.1280.1280.jpg

Small update!

So cables ended up working out. I only replaced the throttle cables and 1 of them is a little to short and needs a bit of modification to fit perfectly but functionally it works perfectly fine. In the process of removing the old throttle cables I found that one of the cables was actually broken which explains why the bike was revving so high in the video I posted in one of my last posts. After installing the new cables I proceeded to get the bike ready to turn on. Added some gas and she turned right on. Small adjustments need to be made to get the bike to idle some what well but more problems were ran into.

The first problem was that the bike was running a little to rich. The fuel ratio screws were out 2.5 turns so I brought it down to 2.25 turns. I may even bring it down to 2 turns (Really don't want to buy more and more plugs due to fowling).

The second problem I faced was that the bike didn't run for long on its own at all. I should mention right off that bat that the battery I currently have installed in the bike isn't good. After one full charge it has the ability to turn the bike over once and then it's just to weak. Normally what
I'll do is boost the bike on, rev the engine with the throttle, use the idle adjustment screw to get the idle to a point where I don't have to rev the engine (typically pretty high idle), then I'll ride the bike for a block and it dies because the idle drops once it warms up and I can't start it again. I'm assuming this is due to the battery being weak as my charging system is in fact working but I'll have to update once I get a new battery and install it.

I'm sorry for my posts being some what short and not very interesting but I'm at that point where I'm getting tired of messing with things and just want the damn thing to run hahahah. I'll make sure the next time I post it's a bit more of an entertaining read!

Cheers!

Time for a long over due update!

** You reading this **
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Since last posting I've gotten a new bigger battery for the bike with approximately 230 CCA. It's the perfect amount to turn the engine over so now I no longer have to boost the bike or worry about it dying and being stranded in the middle of no where 8). (sorry for no pictures of the battery)

Aside from installing the new battery I also went about pulling the carbs off due to a rather large leak from the overflow on carbs 1 and 2 (I've mentioned this leak in the past). Long story short is that I would turn the fuel on and there would be a steady flow of gas out of the bottom of the carb bowls.Turns out after doing an inspection and some google searching that the problem was due to the float needles not sealing correctly. The fix for this was to use metal polish and a Q-tip to polish the needles seat. After doing this to every carb and reinstalling the fuel leak was almost completely fixed!! I still currently have a small drip from carb 1, however that actually tells me when I can start the bike so I don't mind the small drip.

Needle seats before:
EBR5DR8.jpeg

Needle seats after:
UuhVmeb.jpeg

Another thing that I got recently was my seat! I didn't make the seat myself because the process would have taken to long and I was having a hard time finding the right foam so I just got someone to make it professionally. Thankfully my dad knew someone whom did upholstery and I ended up getting the seat for only $75 CAD! The downside of me doing this however was that it was still a lengthy process and the amount of times I had to go back and forth between the upholstery guy and my garage to test fit the seat was just annoying. Otherwise I think the seat came out pretty great!

bB4JnLR.jpg

zd6MSUy.jpeg

Now the only thing I needed for this bike to technically be road legal is a speedo. I love motogadget products (as that's probably obvious) and I really love the gauges from them but I have a hard time justifying the price on them. I could get a decently cheap set of gauges but that involves more wiring which i'm kind of wanting to avoid so I thought I'd try something different.. aka a custom phone mount speedo. Now I already know some people aren't going to like this or think it looks good and that's fine but try and be open minded to the fact that this is a concept and IS REMOVABLE! I should also mention this set up cost me a total of $8 CAD so far.. I got the sheet metal for free, the phone is my girlfriends old phone that she gave to me for this, and i'm getting the welding done for free. The only thing I've had to pay for is a sim card adapter. If i stick with this set up the only other thing I'll need is a universal usb port that i can wire in easily to charge the phone.

LSGGhVo.jpg

1kQ089C.jpg

It's big i know but be open minded.

giphy.gif

Lastly, I'm in the process of test riding the bike every other day and have run into a bit of a running issue I wanted to run by some of you. So to break down my current set up, I have 4-1 aftermarket exhaust with a baffle in it, I've bench tuned my carbs, have large jets, and have the mixture screw at about 1.75 turns out. I've noticed that when the bike gets to operating temperature a couple odd things tend to happen:

1. When decelerating I often times here cracks and pops from the exhaust which to me implies that I still have to much fuel entering the combustion chamber and not being ignited. I've heard that this could potentially be bad?

2. When I pull in the clutch to shift gears my RPM spikes slightly between shifts and when I pull in the clutch when I'm coming to a stop my RPM rises and stays high as long as the clutch is in. When I'm at a stop i'll adjust my idle knob on the carbs to lower the idle and the RPM drops but then the bike basically comes close to dying/does die because the rpm is to low at that point.

if anyone has insight on what might be causing the RPM spike I'd really be thankful for some help because at this point it's the only thing causing me grief.

now to actually end this massive post with whats left on the list of things to do:

1. paint rear cowl black to match frame
2. redo my tank
3. lower front end slightly
4. Fix idle issue
5. Get insurance and RIDEEEEEEEEE

also... just to give you guys a bit of a sneak peak I just got these in from England.. but they'll be installed next summer if anything

quul7AR.jpeg

tenor.gif

Love this build. I’m working on a 79 CB750L(K) now and I love the proportions of the tail.

Looking great mate, and using the phone as a speedo is a neat idea. Why the hell not?! Do you have an inner fender/guard to keep your air filters clean? Cool looking ride man, I'm well into it.

What brand throttle did you use and are you happy with it?

V10Pilot said:
What brand throttle did you use and are you happy with it?

Just a generic one from dime city. Would recommend getting something that's quality made thought. The throttle I got isn't bad and does the job but it could be better.

Cool bike

Love the phone

Maybe an air leak giving you the rev problem

Let it idle and spray some starter fluid around your carbies , if there is an air leak somewhere it will suck the fluid in and the revs will increase heaps

Just a thought , I'm a carpenter though not a mechanic

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom