Honda NSR250 MC28 Restoration/Special

Man those pipes are sweet, too bad they have to be covered up! I was looking on the TYGA website at those carbon silencers (I will need some for the pipes on my T500) and can't really see how they are attached to the pipe. Is there a flange that welds to the end of the pipe then the silencer bolts to that?

johnu said:
Is there a flange that welds to the end of the pipe then the silencer bolts to that?

That's correct.

Its a 3 up bolt on config. If your pipes are two up, an adaptor would be simple enough to fab up...

They're great quality, and there's a bunch of styles from different carbon colors to a kevlar I think? I'm running the standard aluminum Tyga cans on my race bike...

Great guys to deal with as well.

Dale said:
That's correct.

Its a 3 up bolt on config. If your pipes are two up, an adaptor would be simple enough to fab up...

They're great quality, and there's a bunch of styles from different carbon colors to a kevlar I think? I'm running the standard aluminum Tyga cans on my race bike...

Great guys to deal with as well.
Ok thanks, I haven't even made my pipes yet so I can make the flanges to fit the silencers. Too bad those guys don't do pipes for my 500, it would save me a ton of work.

Used to have a MC21 SP it was a great bike.
I used to run the site nsr250sp.com too.
Love them and would get another in a heart beat ;)

Went on an awesome ride on this bike in late June, and while chasing two friends of mine on litre super bikes through the mountain passes, my unrestricted motor along with my unrestricted wrist blew up the motor.
Lots of tight twisties with extreme drops and climbs. You can see by my rear sprocket that its not set up for speed, more for fun.

Crank destroyed, pistons destroyed.

I had this cool app running on my iPhone called Moto Tracker. You can see where it went bang!

dale_blowupNSR.jpg

After weeks of searching, finally got a replacement crank.

Blowup_01.jpg

Blowup_02.jpg

Blowup_03.jpg

The app is pretty cool. You can set the GPS accuracy.
The setting was on high, and it shows your line.
The green is the centre line of the single lane road.
We use the left hand side of the road.
Motor is rebuilt, and busy running it in again.
It had less than 200 miles on the last complete rebuild!

Blowup_04.jpg

Erskine said:
Muppet! Such a good looking bike, must be an absolute blast to ride :)

Erksine, your expletive is way too reserved! I'm a complete f;#&(NG A\hOLe as far as I'm concerned right now. Did about a 100 km's on Saturday morning under the power band as part of the running in process, and about 10 km's before I get home, something started not feeling right. That's the first sign to just turn the motor off. It didn't feel bad enough to warrant doing that so I nursed it home. Once in my drive, revved it a bit, and everything sounded and felt Ok. Next morning pool of oil in the belly. And wont start. So irritated with this damn thing I haven't bothered unbuttoning it to see where the the issue is yet... Uggh.

Thing is, it was running SO strong before I popped it!

And yup, it is an absolute blast to ride. Super flickable. Quick acceleration and braking. Small and light.

The rear shock needed replacement. Picked up a nice Ohlins which Ive refurbished.

Ohlin_zpsbc3e5b11.jpg

And got this second hand CNC cut top tripple clamp.

Tripple_Clamp_zpsc202855e.jpg

I rebuilt my NSR250SP numerous times with varying results!
Initially I tried renewing the Koyo main bearings with non originals and original bearings but it would still fail.
Final option that was 100% reliable was a brand new from Honda crank, got the jetting right and it ran like a train for over 15,000km's till I eventually sold it.

hey dale im new on here and really enjoyed this post. I am in the midst of restoring my mc21 and in the process i wanna add an mc28 swingarm as im just gonna use the bike for street use and i love how it looks... since i see you know so much about the nsr do you know what it will take to add the mc28 swingarm to the mc21 any info would be helpful i will post the my project on here as soon as i start it as well... thanks

Sorry to read you had so much trouble with the motor. It is a very sexy bike. I hope you got everything sorted!

Back
Top Bottom