80 XS650 Monoshock

crazypj said:
Let me know how those switches work out. I was afraid the bars would be weakened?
I have a pair of lights almost identical, drilled a hole in centre and fitted a 10mm 3w LED

Same here. Ive seen similar switch setups (posh factory, or copy of) and they all require drilling the bars. Some had 1/2" dia holes drilled...that would definitely compromise the structural integrity of the bars. I believe the Posh dual switch setup requires a 15mm hole for the toggle and a 9mm hole for the push button. A 15mm hole in a 22mm bar seems huge...

Dyrden, care to comment on your bar switches? Are they from Posh? What size holes were drilled in your bars to install these?

Top notch work here man. Awesome skills and details. The seat came up great. I am also a sucker for the XS750/850 tanks. They look so right - a nice shape with some nice knee cutouts/panels - not too drastic

slug said:
Same here. Ive seen similar switch setups (posh factory, or copy of) and they all require drilling the bars. Some had 1/2" dia holes drilled...that would definitely compromise the structural integrity of the bars. I believe the Posh dual switch setup requires a 15mm hole for the toggle and a 9mm hole for the push button. A 15mm hole in a 22mm bar seems huge...

Dyrden, care to comment on your bar switches? Are they from Posh? What size holes were drilled in your bars to install these?

You are correct there are two holes behind the posh cover and I'm sure it effects the structural integrity. The renthals I chose are very thick wall aluminum so I'm not going to lose sleep over it, but I also won't be taking this bike on MX tracks. It's something to keep an eye on either way. The hole for the toggle is a square shape just big enough for the switch body. The hole for the momentary is round, but I don't have the dimensions handy, I'm out of town.

jpmobius said:
Love the mechanical dimmer switch! Details?

Ha how'd you spot it?! It's mostly out of necessity. I'm using 2 pairs of spot/fog combos that put out 3600 lumens each which is too much for street use(they sent street legal and don't have a cut off pattern for the beam). I'm going to wire the "lo" beam through the dimmer and the high will run both lights at full. Since the lights are Led it's a pwm style dimmer and is supposed to be waterproof. We'll see how that works out.

Dyrden said:
Ha how'd you spot it?! It's mostly out of necessity. I'm using 2 pairs of spot/fog combos that put out 3600 lumens each which is too much for street use(they sent street legal and don't have a cut off pattern for the beam). I'm going to wire the "lo" beam through the dimmer and the high will run both lights at full. Since the lights are Led it's a pwm style dimmer and is supposed to be waterproof. We'll see how that works out.

Dyrden, I'd like to know more about these lights...where did you get them? Did you make the front bezel rings for them? I'm really digging the entire front number plate setup.

Slug, the lights I found on advrider lots of guys recommend them, but I can't remember the manufacturer off hand. The rest of the light housing I made.

Started to put things back together, it lagged a little while I was in Utah.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 345
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    944.3 KB · Views: 347
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 335
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 331
Happy to say I was able to squeeze the motor in between flying rc airplanes. A couple of buddies came over and that helped a bunch.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    673.8 KB · Views: 347
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    997.2 KB · Views: 342
canyoncarver said:
That is a really cool bike man. I dig the craftsmanship.

Thanks man. Got the chain, foot controls and other random things done tonight.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    607.9 KB · Views: 343
Amazingly I got all 3 brake lines and the clutch like angled and cut correctly on the first try. I'm sure something else will go wrong soon. But now she's sitting under her own weight. Need to make front axle spacers and install rotors and do some wiring but she's getting closer still.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    755 KB · Views: 336
Wow, I really like this so far. The exhaust is wonderful. Keep at it. And check that linkage rod, I've ridden a few customer bikes that come in with short ones and they really have to "jam" on the lever to make it shift. Hard to find neutral that way too :) Can't wait to see more on it!

This bike is a real killer! Think I might have seen it before on OSYBs Instagram? Anyways I'm loving the stance and that you used the stock(?) rims!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eleganten said:
This bike is a real killer! Think I might have seen it before on OSYBs Instagram? Anyways I'm loving the stance and that you used the stock(?) rims!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea man you got it. I share a space with OSYB. And those are stock ish wheels. 18 front 16 rear with some disc adapters.

Got another day in today. Front wheel, caliper, and rotor spacing is squared away. Also made a clutch pushrod to fit the slave cylinder and did more wiring. I have two batteries so it's a few more wires than normal.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    961.1 KB · Views: 333
Nice, extended swing arm ;D
Where did you get fork tubes done? they look real good in black

Back
Top Bottom