Austin?

rockcitycafe

I make things.
is there anyone on here in the Austin area? as much as I hate to abandon my adopted rustbelty town, the weather and lack of economic future are turning my eyes south. is what they say true about Austin being weird? :)

one of my brother's lives there. it's an awesome city, surrounded by nature. if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

3.jpg

cool, if the cards are right, i might take a trip down there this winter to check it out... this whole town turns grey from october to about may... and between that, it's spotty at best

Man if you like jazz, it is the place to be. Hell of a night life, if you don't mind a shit ton of collge age hippies. Not to get political, but I lik to know where I stand in a new area. It is pretty liberal for Texas, modrate to middle for the other 49 states...

There is a lot of culture to experience, and near a lot of nice destinations. I used to live between Austin and San Antonio.

i've gotta convince the girl... she's got a lot of work in this town, so trying the "i can ride my motorcycles all year" doesn't fly all that far. it looks like the real estate isn't all that bad for shop/home either... I guess it's easy for me, considering all my business is online, and i'd only be gaining more business being in an area with some cool culture and a bit of an economy going for it

Texas, and Austin in general have faired well. Both ecconomically and in housing it is doing well. Downside is the lack of harsh winters leads to a much weaker culture of garage projects, and classic vehicles. There are alot more DTTers and restorers north of the Mason Dixie as it were.

Something to consider.

rockcitycafe said:
is there anyone on here in the Austin area? as much as I hate to abandon my adopted rustbelty town, the weather and lack of economic future are turning my eyes south. is what they say true about Austin being weird? :)

Austin is my favorite city in the US right now (New Orleans needs to get on the mend). The one downside is that it has--hands down--the shittiest traffic problem in the US. How did you decide on Austin of all places? Sixth street is insane; some of the best times I've had. My wife and I go down there each year for our birthdays. We vacation on Lake LBJ each summer as well.

Come to Dallas. There's more money.

--Chris

chrisf said:
Austin is my favorite city in the US right now (New Orleans needs to get on the mend). The one downside is that it has--hands down--the shittiest traffic problem in the US. How did you decide on Austin of all places? Sixth street is insane; some of the best times I've had. My wife and I go down there each year for our birthdays. We vacation on Lake LBJ each summer as well.

Come to Dallas. There's more money.

--Chris

but dallas is so boooooring :p

the girl is a sign language interpreter... so if there's a lot of deaf people there (rochester has the largest deaf community in the us, probably the world), but I thought of austin because my neighbor, an wood sculpture professor was from there and was a pretty cool guy, told me i'd like it there because it's like rochester in a lot of ways, kind of a hip crowd without being full of yuppies

rockcitycafe said:
the girl is a sign language interpreter... so if there's a lot of deaf people there (rochester has the largest deaf community in the us, probably the world), but I thought of austin because my neighbor, an wood sculpture professor was from there and was a pretty cool guy, told me i'd like it there because it's like rochester in a lot of ways, kind of a hip crowd without being full of yuppies

I'm in the heart of (South) Austin. Chris is right about Dallas; the more time I spend there, the more it grows on me. If you had said graphic designer or (worse) tattoo artist, I'd say keep on trucking, but anything that has to do with the deaf is big money in Texas because of this: http://www.tsd.state.tx.us/
We do, unfortunately, have a lot of yuppies (thanks, California), but they're pretty civil and stay west and north. What do you plan on doing for a job?

If you're not sure about Dallas then Fort Worth is a good mix of Austin and Dallas without the pompous part of either. LOL. Plus it would put you closer for me to get parts from for my project. Seriously though it's a cool place to live and the people are layed back and the culture is quite diverse. My wife is a rep for an audiology specialty clinic and the market here is very strong. Just another option for ya.

Hey all,
I live in Austin too. SW Austin. I love it here. Originally from AZ. Miss the mountains, but Austin is great. Austin does have a huge School for the Deaf just south of downtown. A really cool area.

Back
Top Bottom