Kawasaki W650

L

lstuckey1

Does Kawasaki import the W650 to Canada?
They stopped importing them to the states and they are rare here.
Anybody have one?

w650.gif

P1180012w.jpg

Available in Canada only for 2 years I believe, 1999-2000? Not a big seller and was discontinued. Maybe still sold in U.K. and Europe. Got better reviews than the new Triumph Bonneville. More retro since it has a kickstarter and cool bevel drive camshaft. Perfect bike for a cafe conversion – old school looks with modern technology. Buy it if you can find it.

Not a great picture, but here's mine. The tank is from Germany ala the "Inspiration" post here.
No longer made, but was available in Europe, Japan, Australia, etc before and after it sold in the 'States.
With lower bars, I find it to be one of the best all 'round bikes ever. There is a W650 group in Yahoo.
When searching for parts, for some reason Kawasaki refers to it as "EJ650". ?
They are offered on the chat site, at bradsbikes.com occasionally, and of course Ebay fairly often.

The UK site has these as a 2005 model... then no more.

The years have changed the NA market a lot... I bet these would sell well now.

ARE YOU LISTENING KAWASAKI? ::)

Not a chance Kawi will bring it back. The Japanese makers have been burned too many times by putting out very cool vintage inspired bikes that sell poorly in North America. The W650 (along with the slightly more successful albeit dorkier Nomad) was the last straw and there have been no further attempt at putting out another retro style bike here. It seems the rest of the world can appreciate bikes that aren't blinged out with chrome or clad in acres of tupperware. Let's face the harsh truth, this is Poserville – population, us.

The coolest kawi retro bike IMO was the ZRX, as it had modern performance with '80s looks. The drifter was an eye sore to say the least (who would buy that when the vulcans looked so much better). I'm not into brit bikes(except triumph's newer sport bikes), so the w650 doesn't appeal to me.

I've been keeping my eyes open for a w650 for a while - I didn't like the forward sloped seat on the bike, but that like so many things can be fixed. I love the looks, and thanks to DrJ now have the Yamaha 1972 era version :)

Uncle Ernie said:
Not a great picture, but here's mine. The tank is from Germany ala the "Inspiration" post here.
No longer made, but was available in Europe, Japan, Australia, etc before and after it sold in the 'States.
With lower bars, I find it to be one of the best all 'round bikes ever. There is a W650 group in Yahoo.
They are offered on the chat site, at bradsbikes.com occasionally, and of course Ebay fairly often.
All the early reports were very positive. Enjoy your ride, Doug

TinTin- I had heard the seat was uncomfortable from other owners, but when I put lower bars on, the seat became very comfortable, indeed.

Uncle Ernie said:

:-[ if anybody saw the comment I made before I deleted it, please disregard it. its too early in the morning & I guess I'm blind. the attached picture was a little farther down than I expected and I had a retard attack. sorry. nice bike ernie. ;D

alright, I'm not haullcinating. or however thats spelled. if I look at the post without logging in, the picture of Ernie's bike isn't there, when I log in, it appears. is that weird or what?! I was thinking I just didn't have enough caffiene in my system yet. maybe I need a drink to start the day off...

I think you need to be logged in to see the pix posted using the addition options button. Clicking on them inlarges them. Like the Red bike below.

Where as pix from another site like photobucket, etc will show up when your not logged in as well, and usually large to begin with. Like the Blue bike:

SRKZ003.jpg

Hey Thanks ! I didn't know that. Now I can see my bike- but why do all my digital pictures seem to be out of focus???

I think it makes you log in to reduce the bandwidth consumed by 'lurkers'. Linked photos don't consume our bandwidth so no issues.

Ernie - they look clear to me ;)

Back
Top Bottom