72' CB350 - First build.

interesting! thanks for telling. were they worn or what?

i was going to replace mine, but on teardown i found them to be a tight fit with no slop... even airtight when pulling valve through.

Danish_Cafe said:
Btw. I need some info on how to lace wheels (pattern), i will have a shop true them, but i wanna save some money and put them together myself before i go to the shop.

Any info, thanks?

How many spokes? I have a few wheels laying around I could snap a photo of if they match up.

bob.

Rocan: Mine were also still a tight fit around the valve, as you tell. But for some reason the ends closest to the combustion chamber were cracked and pieces were missing. And i didn't wanna take the chance of getting pieces into the engine after rebuild so i made new ones.

Bobdot: It's 36 spokes front and rear, pictures would be greatly appriciated, for some reason i forgot to take close ups of wheels before i took them apart with the grinder :-[

Also, while looking for the valveguide pictures I found a picture of the old and new camchain roller, there's a little difference ;D:

DSC00068.jpg

thats what mine looked like too! i wouldnt have gone back to OEM... i would have either gotten the steel wheeled ones (i think ohio cafe racers sells them?) or gotten some wheels machined out of some harder material. i took the alternate route and went with a KA tensioner, although technically for a street bike the stock design is a little better (minus the rubber wheels)

bummer on the valve guides being chipped... i wonder how that happened..

i havent looked at my clymers for a while. get the REAL shop manual (i have a PDF version) and i never needed it.

Alrighty, here's what I got on my XS650 wheels (36 spoke):

DSCF1097.jpg

I made a little diagram to wrap my head around the lacing pattern:
36SpokeLacing-1.jpg

pretty much (as I see it) pick a hole on the hub, draw an imaginary centerline up to the rim to intersect a nipple hole and then count 4 holes clockwise down the rim. Half the spokes (in this case those laced on the outside of the hub flange) will follow this pattern every other hole on the hub. Same thing goes in the reverse direction for the rest of the spokes being laced from the inside of the hub flange. Is that a confusing enough explanation? Feel free to disregard anything that I've said above... I realized as I was typing I was explaining it more for my own sake ;D

Hope it helps!

bob.

Rocan: I will go for a KA on my next projector or machine some whells in hard plastic/rubber, this OEM I got almost for free, again to keep costs low. I also wonder how the valveguides chipped, thinking the engine maybe been running to hot.

Bobdot: That's exactly what i was looking for, perfect. Thank you very much for that!

Little update today:

All the primed parts are now paintet black and drying. Will post pictures soon.

Also I've bought another frame with all legal papirs, instead of repairing the old one. Frame, swingarm, shocks and centerstand for 85$ (Where I live that's a good price)
stel.jpg

Next on my todo list is:

Order spokes and finish whells.
Finish my seat and tank.
Finish and paint new frame.
Making of rear set.
Start assembly.

Hey Neighbour

Nice build! Can I ask what you did with the Honda logo on the left side of the engine?

DSC00099.jpg

Might be the photo, but it almost looks like copper?

miob said:
Hey Neighbour

Nice build! Can I ask what you did with the Honda logo on the left side of the engine?

Might be the photo, but it almost looks like copper?

I just paintet it by hand after I sprayed the cover. It's black, I think the cellphone picture makes it look different.

Got a little work done today.

Parts finished in black:
DSC00160-1.jpg

Also put the front end together. New seals, dustcaps and gators. Legs paintet and top polished.
DSC00163.jpg

And btw if anyone asks, the only thing i want for christmas is a camera!!

Nice work man really enjoying this thread hope this helps to
The longer bend gose from the inside out
P1050573-1.jpg

P1050574-1.jpg

lace all the wheel then lay it flat
P1050575-1.jpg

start with an inside out spocke then count 5 to the right cross this one under the other and tapeit in place
P1050576-1.jpg

go all the way round both sides
P1050577-1.jpg

where the brake disc gose i put 20mm wood blocks to raise the rim inline with the spockes
P1050578-1.jpg

this methared was used on my caferacer with borrani rims
P1050579.jpg

hope the helped and not nindered!!!!

Jeff, u are the man! That's just perfect for me, can't go wrong now!

Thanks alot.
I will post pictures when i get to do some work on the wheels, waiting on spokes as we speak.

Not the biggest progress, but got these in the mail today, new rubber sealed bearings for front and rear wheel, and now only need the spokes to finish my wheels:

DSC00164.jpg

Also i'm waiting for the weather to clear up, so i can pick up my new frame. Can't go anywhere by car due to snow and ice :-\

72' CB350 - First build. ( Frame 0 - Grinder 1 )

Finally picked up the new frame this weekend. Cut off the brackets etc. that i don't need and now it's ready to be cleaned and paintet:

DSC00177.jpg

Also fitted the new wheelbearings, front and rear:

DSC00166.jpg

DSC00167.jpg

And did the small job of finishing the brake plates, so now hubs and rims are ready for spokes:

DSC00168.jpg

Update will follow when frame is paintet ;D

Did you paint or powder the rims? if paint what did you use? I worry about getting the tires onto painted rims without chipping them all to hell and back.

The rims are just spraypaintet. 2 coats of primer and 3 coats of black. I had the exact same worries about the paint chipping when fitting tires, but i seems to hold reasonable good. I've hit some parts with a rubber hammer really hard a few times and the paint didn't chip. I thinks if you use a lot of lubricant when fitting they tires it will be alright.

72' CB350 - Sailors Grave!

Finally it feels like i'm moving forward. Frame blasted and primed, will lay some color tomorrow and then on to assembly.
DSC00187.jpg

Also named the bike "sailors Grave" since i spend half the year at sea and spend my money on the bike when i'm home. :D

Dude, this build is redic! NFJ on that engine! Can't wait to see this come together...

Man this build is almost making me want to take mine all apart and do it all over again (wife would kill me lol). Real nice work! Can't wait to see this come together. I'm real interested in how the rear seat is going to come out. It all looks great, man! Congrats on the lil one, as well! I have a three month old and I just sit him in my lap and scroll through pics and videos of this stuff. START 'EM YOUNG!!

Back
Top Bottom