I finally finished my CB350 Four!!!!

Tristan

Been Around the Block
Hey guys!! I can finally say I have my bike completed to a state where it is not only functional, but in enough of a polished state that I can probably hold myself back from repainting and improving parts for a couple years....maybe.

Ok so here's the story: I bought this back about 3 years ago from some girl on craigslist for $700. It ran well when I took it on a little test ride down the block, but once bringing it home and taking it on the interstate I noticed some pretty serious oil smoke. I did a compression test and the verdict was piston rings (which were impossible to find for this bike at that time). I tore it apart with the plans of just doing a top-end rebuild and ya know what? I found DTT...and the bug bit me.

63794_428452431684_1659298_n.jpg

Luckily at the time I worked at a machine shop, so I had my access to an experience co-worker who welded...No access to machines though, I'd probably still be there if it wasn't for that stipulation.

So he welded a rear hoop, brackets for the seat and rearsets and modified my benelli mojave tank to work for the frame...both my tank and seat were purchased from Vintage Cosmo back when he was in business...such a shame.

Anyway, Ive poured my heart into this...Ive asked so many questions, done hours upon hours of research and lots of daydreaming, you know, sitting on the bike in the garage while pretending to shift gears and make engine noises....we've all done it. ;D

So without further Ado......

614451_10150988960316685_1691245336_o.jpg

243566_10150988024221685_394772030_o.jpg

240932_10150988026996685_1328219214_o.jpg

287678_10150988019941685_475010141_o.jpg

338035_10150988021141685_144645420_o.jpg

324575_10150988015431685_2142433640_o.jpg

474111_10150988027846685_53140024_o.jpg

337997_10150988022671685_902547865_o.jpg

474208_10150988017531685_1638766813_o.jpg

Thank You to everyone on this board that shares their knowledge and posts build threads!! This project wouldn't of amounted to anything without the wisdom and inspiration I've gained from the DO THE TON crew...goddamn I love this forum.

Constructive criticism very much appreciated gents!

Tristan

I think I got my clipons from a member at SOHC4, but it was a couple years ago so I'm not sure. Speedometer is from Dime City Cycles. Rearsets are from a '93 CBR600. Pretty much a plug and play application. I had to have brackets welded to accommodate them, but the shifter linkage connected without any modification.

Nice scoot! Very clean and simple. The only thing I would do to it is to upgrade the shocks. Stock shocks hardly perform well.

eyhonda said:
Nice scoot! Very clean and simple. The only thing I would do to it is to upgrade the shocks. Stock shocks hardly perform well.

Thanks brother!

Oh man, youre not kidding. Unfortunately the shocks don't really do all that much since they're from a 750 and I have them set to the highest resistance. I really don't have all that much clearance with the rear hoop and I figured I'd rather have a bumpy ride than bottom out to the hoop.

What I need to do is chop off the hoop, re-weld it at a 45 degree angle and then cut the seat to accommodate that...right now it's like riding a hard-tail.

LineOfStrength said:
Absolutely love the bike man. That frame really stands out. Bikes like these are always inspiring!

Thanks man, it's hammered finish by rustoleum...cool shit. It's not extremely durable, but since it's a textured paint, when it gets touched up it blends very well. I'll post a close-up I've got hanging around in my photobucket from a few years ago.

IMG_0306.jpg

The color combo was entirely inspired by Mysta's bike..I'm sure you've seen it around the board.

That looks sweet! Posts like these is what people like me, who are in the beginning of their builds, need! Thanks for the inspiration!!!

jerryz said:
That looks sweet! Posts like these is what people like me, who are in the beginning of their builds, need! Thanks for the inspiration!!!

Thanks dude. It's an honor to actually inspire another person's build. Can't even try to guess how many hours I spent sitting at the computer just oogling at all the awesome bikes on here.

Tristan said:
Thanks brother!

Oh man, youre not kidding. Unfortunately the shocks don't really do all that much since they're from a 750 and I have them set to the highest resistance. I really don't have all that much clearance with the rear hoop and I figured I'd rather have a bumpy ride than bottom out to the hoop.

What I need to do is chop off the hoop, re-weld it at a 45 degree angle and then cut the seat to accommodate that...right now it's like riding a hard-tail.
Hi, great bike! I have the same issue with the rear hoop only I have about 1" less clearance than you! I am running my shock as hard as I can go to stop it bottoming out. Although my shock does not seem to hold the pressure and gradually sags. I am thinking of getting a slightly longer shock from a more modern bike, just looking at the moment. Anyway I waffle...as I said great looking bike. ;) ;)

wab said:
Hi, great bike! I have the same issue with the rear hoop only I have about 1" less clearance than you! I am running my shock as hard as I can go to stop it bottoming out. Although my shock does not seem to hold the pressure and gradually sags. I am thinking of getting a slightly longer shock from a more modern bike, just looking at the moment. Anyway I waffle...as I said great looking bike. ;) ;)

What bike do you have? The cb750 springs weren't much longer than the 350 springs, maybe half an inch or so, but they are a whole lot more beefy, since they're made for a much larger bike. On the highest setting they don't compress at all when I sit on the bike, and I weigh a whopping 145 lbs!!!!RAWR

I've heard the cb900 shocks are 14 1/2 inches long, so they might be a good idea if you can find them on ebay...I couldn't, so I settled for the 750 springs. $20 shipped!!

jeunemotard said:
Where did you get the speedo?? nice bike by the way!!

Dime City Cycles. I'm kind of questioning the quality though. After putting 500 miles on the speedometer, the needle just kind of floats within 10 mph above and below my actual speed. When Im going 35 and under it seems to be pretty accurate though... Anyone else have this problem?

Try dropping some oil down the cable from the speedo end. It may be a little dry. The inner cable might be rubbing, causing some needle jitter.

eyhonda said:
Try dropping some oil down the cable from the speedo end. It may be a little dry. The inner cable might be rubbing, causing some needle jitter.

I'll try that. Seems strange it would be dry though, it's a new cable from Motion pro, and it was nice and oily when I installed it 2 months ago.

Oh yeah, here's some pics I took today!!

2012-09-06105356.jpg

bikr.jpg

Back
Top Bottom