Building my own two-stroke "Mongrel" - Inspired by CharlieT & TedT

Re: Building my own two-stroke "Mongrel" - Inspired by CharlieT & TedT

I won't know if I like them until you put tires on the bike. Haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using DO THE TON mobile app

clem said:
I won't know if I like them until you put tires on the bike. Haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using DO THE TON mobile app

haha I always seem to do tires pretty early on with bikes to make it feel more like its an "actual bike". I guess I like false self edification when im building stuff

interceptor said:
This is so cool on so many levels. Good job!

Thank you very much! I'm having a ton of fun building it. Only way it'd be better is if I could buy all the parts at once and work on it as much as I wanted to :)

BillyGoat4130 said:
Thank you very much! I'm having a ton of fun building it. Only way it'd be better is if I could buy all the parts at once and work on it as much as I wanted to :)
Yep! Thats what retirement is for ;)

BillyGoat4130 said:
I guess yall don't like my bracket...lol :)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I like it, it suits the mongrel!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillyGoat4130 said:
I guess yall don't like my bracket...lol :)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Oh I just think that given how really cool this project is, and your ability with fabrication, you could easily cut the weight of those things by 70% or more. For me, at least, every pound I can get off my bikes seems to make a difference-even just pushing them around in the garage!

Still love the build!

RR100 said:
Oh I just think that given how really cool this project is, and your ability with fabrication, you could easily cut the weight of those things by 70% or more. For me, at least, every pound I can get off my bikes seems to make a difference-even just pushing them around in the garage!

Still love the build!
+1. I think the skeleton brackets look great, but there's no denying it (they) are more about pretty than performance. Of course, it's a motorcycle and as such is all about ones personal vision of pretty. I personally like a very minimal bike where form follows function, but it still HAS to be pretty, at least in my eyes. I suppose for me, the Suzuki rear sets being themselves a bracket to hold the peg and brake bits should bolt directly on the bike. The notion that it needs yet another bracket to mate it up seems superfluous no matter how cool it is. Alternatively, if you made the Suzuki peg and brake bits fit up directly to your skeleton bracket I'd like it better despite not practically being all that much different. At the end of the day, it's not a whole lot of difference regardless, so whatever you do, if you like it, I say that is the end of the story!

jpmobius said:
... The notion that it needs yet another bracket to mate it up seems superfluous no matter how cool it is. Alternatively, if you made the Suzuki peg and brake bits fit up directly to your skeleton bracket I'd like it better despite not practically being all that much different. At the end of the day, it's not a whole lot of difference regardless, so whatever you do, if you like it, I say that is the end of the story!

Could not agree more.

I got ya'll. I guess my thought process in my mind was this was less work than plating and boxing in an area of the frame. Its so old and crusty it has some sketchiness in the rust department to a degree. Plus I had all the stuff already laying in the shop. I like using scrap metal.

Hey man as someone else said, that bracket that you made using the bosses triangulated with the round stock is very trick but made from aluminum it would be of the hook just from the weight savings alone! Keep up the good work, I am so impressed with this project :)

Well I'm about 95% done on the rear sets. I have a little buttoning up to do. I went through about 4 revisions on the mounts but finally came up with something that is a bit more hidden, fits right, and brings them in as close as I'm going to get.

Attachments

• 20170514_155752.jpg
    20170514_155752.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 297
  • 20170514_155711.jpg
    20170514_155711.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 301
  • 20170514_160030.jpg
    20170514_160030.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 290
  • 20170514_155436.jpg
    20170514_155436.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 304
Couple more.

Attachments

• 20170514_155526.jpg
    20170514_155526.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 302
  • 20170514_155627.jpg
    20170514_155627.jpg
    859.1 KB · Views: 304
  • 20170514_155822.jpg
    20170514_155822.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 299
Late to the party (again). I'm lov'in this build. Looks like fun. I have started my own "mongrel" based on a DZR, parts from 6 different bikes so far...... I will be posting soon. I like your approach towards this build and as for your fab skills WOW Keep posting us pics

BillyGoat4130 said:
I follow what you're saying, but I guess I'm just not totally on board with a plate/tab setup. That was my idea and plan with the cardboard template originally, but I had changed my mind.

My aluminum jig could bolt right onto the frame and do what you're saying, but I just liked the idea of a bracket moreso. Its solid as a rock this way, I have my doubts even a 1/4 in plate would be more sturdy especially with vibrations and side load over time, but never know. I have to keep remembering I'm not riding this thing off road and certain components will not get near the beating I am use to. I really like how the bracket looks. I had figured in my head while I was building it, to go behind the busa rear set, but I like the look and design so much after finishing I want to figure out how to get it on the outside, basically.

(Already had this in SmugMug)

(Old piece of plate I had cut for the mount when I was thinking plate, too)

Genuinely dig the fab work involved... But Mr. Goat I think we went a little overboard ::) Don't go changing things on my part however I think what the other really smart dude was saying is you may have created more mass than need to complete the task.

Maybe just by simply doing a little notch cut and bung weld in your pegs would bolt right up much the same as the o-originals. Using the peg mount as a weld fixture mount you may have been able to both layout the cuts and weld in the bungs. Then shave off the old taps/mounts

Not nearly as nice yours but a whores example here:

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 307
Figured I'd pop-in and say I have not passed away ;)

Time has been sparse but I have finished the foot pegs and the mounting of them. Had to trim the sub frame tubes out of the way a bit, so I have to splice in some new tubing for that and also make my shifter linkage functional. I take a week in June every year out of state, so I suspect it'll be middle of July or so before I really get some time to work on this beast again.

Well guys I'm finally getting caught back up on some of my other stuff so I can tinker on this project a bit. I ordered some meats for the wheels finally. Be here in about a week or so. I wound up getting the cheapo Shinko Ravens, but the reviews are good. I figured there wasn't much sense spending $400 on a "good" set of tires until I had some seat time on the thing and made sure it did what I wanted it to do, anyhow.

Short youtube walk around video from my channel; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxbkE458dGU

Back
Top Bottom