SR500 RACE BIKE - Tracy body kit - Survivor - Ohio

I heard praytell that there is a simplified wiring diagram on rexs-speedshop.com but i couldn't find it for the life of me.
I was able to find these simple diagrams - https://www.flickr.com/photos/bcm-blog/sets/72157615127432489/
couple questions; In the diagram, they keep saying magneto. Do they mean that as the charging system? In my world a magneto makes spark for an old harley. Also, are all sr500's a CDI ignition? mine is a '78.

thanks!

The mystery box is the stock VM34SS accelerator pump. Yes, the bike runs a self-exciting coil (kinda like a magneto), so you don't need a battery to have spark. Downside, one of the coils is a very fine wire 300 Ohm coil prone to shorting out, which means you end up with no spark below 2000-something RPM. (That's when the other coils kick in and produce the electricity for the ignition.)

Unfortunately for SR500s, you simply speak the wrong language, if you want support - time to brush up that German, but google translate will help you through the worst.

In order to bypass the stock induction setup, there's a so-called two-wire setup to check out the rest of the electrical system:

http://motorang.com/bucheli-projekt/elektrik_allgemein.htm#zweikabel

That being said, if you need parts, look into the direction of http://www.kedo.de

And yes, the SR500 has always been CDI driven, you can convert it to points, if your really wanted, but that's only possible, when you still have an older set of cases, which still has the casting pre-drilled for the points shaft and gear. Plus you will need a XT500 clutch-cover and points-setup. (Some german racers use that in the Grab the Flag Classic 500 series, aka. SR500 cup (www.grab-the-flag.de) and because you will surely wonder about it... tuning is rather sophisticated, with the best bikes running around the 50 to 55hp (at the rear wheel of course) )

If you need info on hot-cams, short stroke conversios, different carbs, bigger valves, altered combustion chambers... well, I'll keep an eye on this thread here.

Cheers,
Greg

Der Nano, my man! That diagram is perfect! thanks for the help, brother. I'm going to give her hell to get running this weekend. I'd really like to know what state the engine is in before I proceed fixing anything else.

Hurco, I'm in the Akron/Canton area.

imwastefull said:
Hurco, I'm in the Akron/Canton area.

Ah cool, sis went to college there at Malone University. I'm just down by Marion. Cool project man!

The swingarm looks like it might be from MotoLanna.

http://www.motolanna.com/ourshop/prod_448876-Swingarm-Aluminum-Alloy-SuperTuff.html

That makes sense. If that is what it is, then there should be two fuel lines - one from the tank and the other to somewhere on the carb where it discharges.

Man, I wish my swingarm was Motolanna. They're real nice. Mine is less elaborate and uses the stock chain adjusters.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20181202_203006_1.jpg
    MVIMG_20181202_203006_1.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 286
  • MVIMG_20181202_104403.jpg
    MVIMG_20181202_104403.jpg
    8.4 MB · Views: 284
Looks like an original DG, Calfab or similar aftermarket arm which is what the current ones are copies of. It really needs to be longer to work with that long tail section though.

imwastefull said:
Id rather chop a few inches off of the tail.

That is an interesting idea but I hate to think how hard it would be to match the tapered lines without completely making a mess of it.

Not suggesting that you don't have the skills or that it couldn't be done. Just wondering how TF that could work.

Pulled the body off to get a better idea of what I'm working with. On the good end; the frame looks bone stock without a single tab cut. It looks to be all there and hopefully will fire up without much fuss.
The body is in great shape. No cracks or real damage that I saw. Tank is rusted to hell though.
PLUS - I found out what the accelerator pump was doing there. Seems like someone tapped a jet into the carb and was planning on running the pump as an external enricher. Someone on FB suggested that it may have been methanol injected. Doubtful but who knows.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20181205_170950.jpg
    MVIMG_20181205_170950.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 292
  • MVIMG_20181205_171014.jpg
    MVIMG_20181205_171014.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 288
  • IMG_20181205_171657.jpg
    IMG_20181205_171657.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 281
Also, I just wanted to make sure, this is my CDI box right?

Attachments

• MVIMG_20181205_171129.jpg
    MVIMG_20181205_171129.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 280
Great find. In the last pic there appears to be a crack next to the weld on the cross tube. Pic's can be misleading but please do scratch off the paint to be sure. I hope this bike gives you more pleasure than pain. good luck

Nah, it's not a crack, just a shitty weld. They completely undercut the bracket they were supposed to fix to the frame.

Back
Top Bottom