Rockers patches??

ratta tatt tatt

hey all.....

I was just wondering because I love the look of the old school riders with the "Rockers" patches on the backs of the jackets.......I can't seem to find much/ or things to tell me if it is cool to put one of these patches on the back of my jacket. Is this just something that was done amongst people that had cafe racers or was it some sort of club or "gang!" ???? I don't want to throw a Rockers Patch on the back of my jacket and get my ass kicked down the road!

peace!

It's generally pretty kosher. Only thing you really have to worry about is some crusty fart chasing you down with a cane because your buttons and zippers aren't period-authentic. That and you might have to book it if you see some skinny kids in pea coats rolling up on vespas.

Seriously though, wikipedia knows all: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocker_(subculture)

"Rockers" aren't really a club. Though some guys up north have, ah, borrowed the logo. But they aren't an outlaw club. The patch thing is like young punk kids writing "punk rock' on everything" - Dude,you're so fuckin' Rocker!

The 59 was/is a real club though. But you're still not gonna get harssed by them. They're a church youth group afterall. I would suggest, if you want to run a 59 patch, at least order it from the real 59 club and not from ebay.

Honestly, those big Rocker patches are not a "period correct" item. Back in tha day, it was most common to paint the jacket with a favorite band logo or a favorite brand of bike. The rocker patch thing is something marketed by The Ace Cafe as a "retro style". Kinda like the checkerboard thing. Not really an authentic look, but kinda cool anyway.

In regards to people taking offense, don't worry. You won't be asssociated with the 1%ers.
Those guys take the patch thing very seriously. But outlaw club patches have a very specific layout. It must be a 3 piece back patch, with a top rocker(banner)- club name. center patch-club design.and the bottomrocker-claims territory.Also they have a little square patch on one side that has "MC"- motorcycle club.

As long as you avoid anything that may resemble a 3-piece patch, you'll be fine. Just don't sew a Black label Sociaty or a Sons of Anarchy T-shirt to your jacket.

The most authentic and cool thing to do is whatever you like the most. That's what the guys did back then, and trying to recreate the 'look' for the sake of the 'look' is basically like dressing up for Halloween.

Be true to yourself, what you like, with absolute disregard for anyone else and what they like, and you'll be 'period authentic' ;)

Tim said:
Be true to yourself, what you like, with absolute disregard for anyone else and what they like, and you'll be 'period authentic' ;)

Which reminds me. Where do ya think I could get my hands on a 10" RCAF 60's era roundel patch?

I've seen 4-6" ones on historical society sites and such. Didn't you have a source for 10" designs with low startup cost Tim?

This is what I'm looking for:

600px-Roundel_of_the_Royal_Canadian_Air_Force_%281946-1965%29.svg.png

Sorry for any thread hijacking that might occur.

In regards to people taking offense, don't worry. You won't be asssociated with the 1%ers.
Those guys take the patch thing very seriously. But outlaw club patches have a very specific layout. It must be a 3 piece back patch, with a top rocker(banner)- club name. center patch-club design.and the bottomrocker-claims territory.Also they have a little square patch on one side that has "MC"- motorcycle club.

As long as you avoid anything that may resemble a 3-piece patch, you'll be fine. Just don't sew a Black label Sociaty or a Sons of Anarchy T-shirt to your jacket.

ok....so to the 3-piece patch.......I wanted to put the "rocker" patch on the top part of my jacket....but I wasn't planning on putting anything underneath.....so whatz the word on that?

Back
Top Bottom