Are they worth anything?

moetrout

Been Around the Block
I have a true vintage Harley leather. My guess is it's 40+ years old. I really never thought much about the fact that it might be worth something. So before I cut it up and make a Mad Max jacket out of it please tell me if these thing are worth much?

My Mad Mx jacket idea was this. I already canabalized an old motocross chest protector. I was going to paint the plastic shoulder and chest protector black and then either rivet or sew them onto the Harley leather. I would have cut some vents behind the chest and back protectors. Then I wanted to get an old soup bowl helmet and that would be my in town bombin' around gear just for the ooooo factor. As in ooooo look at that crazy on the old honda!

What make is the jacket? Check the inside tags and such; a jacket that old has to be a leather company doing licensed work with Harley logos. It's probably worth something just as a jacket from that era, and there's bound to be nuts out there that would want it just as historical Harley merch.

Noel will no doubt know something and he'll be posting in 3... 2... 1...

I'll snap a pic of it later tonight when I am home. From memory the only tag in it says Harley Davidson, but perhaps there is a manufacturer label in there. It may not matter to me anyway unless it's worth several hundred bucks or something. I've had this mad max jacket idea for a while now, but the 73 cb350f is ready to ride and i think I need the proper attire! I just wish I lived in a state where helmets were optional because i have my grandfathers old leather cap, goggles, and boots to go with it! If I can find them I'll take some pics of those too.

Sorry, no pics yet, but there is no manufacturer on this jacket. It just says Harley Davidson.

Hard to tell for sure without a pic, but if its in good condition and its as old as you say...

DO NOT CUT IT UP.

Its probobly worth a couple hundred bucks, or more depending on who sees it. Some guys (especially in Japan) will pay insane money for vintage HD stuff.

Ok, so it took me a while to get around to the pics, but here they are. My mom says this jacket isn't as old as I thought, but she really had no idea how old it was. Any guesses? Also posted is a pic of what I believe to be my grandpas old leather cap, some goggles and an old cap that must have been my dads (The JR on the bill is the give away).

100_1171.jpg

100_1172.jpg

100_1180.jpg

100_1181.jpg

The jacket is from the 70s AMF era, excellent quality, made in USA unlike today's H-D jackets. Do not cut it up. I hope you're keeping your granddad's headgear as heirlooms because they are full of awesome, especially the cap. The goggles look like military issue, possibly for a tank crewman, they are not for pilots.

The tanker goggles are nice but not worth much due to army surplus. There are millions of them out there. After WWII drag racers, salt flat racers, motorcyclists etc used them.

Don't wear that cap though, unless you want dirtbag hitting on you.

+1 on keeping the jacket as-is. It's a nice jacket. Buy a couple cheap crappy jackets to hack up.

Back
Top Bottom