Need advise on purchasing a CM for a cafe

willm

Ive been looking for a scoot for my wife for the past few weeks. We've been focusing on honda cb models (and the occasional cl), Kaw KZ's, and a suzuki savage. Our ultimate goal is a custom cafe, she picks all the options and me and a bud just cut, fab and build.

I've found a great deal on a 1980 Honda CM400E. I've always heard of the legendary status and reputation of a honda cb, however the CM cadence is new to my ears. Can anyone tell me if there is any differences to be leery of with the CM model; frame, suspension, engine (is it the same as what was put in the CB's)? To me it looks to be the same scoot (from google search) as the cb however different seat and bars, more set up for cruising the highways than a street fighter.

The Mrs and I are taking the 100mile trip on Sunday, with the trailer - hopefully to purchase. The PO has used it as a daily rider and from the pics it looks to be super clean. Other than a good looking over, a test ride, and a tire kick - is there anything that anyone else can suggest. She's only 5'4" so a lowering project and advise will be needed soon, and I am not crazy about the drum brakes I see in the pics, but we'll cross those bridges when we get to them. Yes, I've read the "6 golden rules for newbs" - a copy is printed and going into my buds shop as a priority.

I've put this same set of concerns / questions on a few other forums - so if you seen this lately, no your not losing your mind.

Thanks in advance

Back
Top Bottom