Picking up a 1978 Cb750F. What to look for...

SullivanCB200

Been Around the Block
Saw one at a gas station a couple months ago while I was out on the cl175. We ended up swapping bikes and going for a short ride which lead to the "I have to have one of these" feelings. Sold off the 175 a couple weeks ago, about to ditch the 1970 Yamaha R5 and picking up the cb750. I drive 90 miles round trip for work a day at interstate speeds and it just makes sense.

The bike is a 1978 cb750F supersport with 32k on the clock. The owner has a rather large collection (like 50+) and is thinning the herd. He said it hadn't been started in 5 months, so he drained the oil and put in fresh, sprayed carb cleaner in the carbs, put in a new battery and some fresh gas and she fired on the third kick and idled perfectly. His collection is mostly museum quality pieces, so I feel safe to assume it's been well taken care of. He said he road it 50 miles, contemplated not selling it, then put it back in the garage. He said absolutely everything on the bike works exactly as it should and the only blemishes is one tiny weld near the tip of the exhaust and he has misplaced a side cover (but is very confident he will find it). Is there anything to keep an eye on for these bikes? Anything I should be aware of?

I have a '78 CB750K. To the best of my knowledge, there are no quirky things to watch out for. Being the end of the SOHC line, they were pretty well sorted out.

Do the "usual" checks for buying a used bike and you should be good to go ;)

I rescued my 78 from a tow yard with 36k on the clock and it started and ran with no effort after sitting for who knows how long. its a testament to Honda's build quality. I can think of anything out of the ordinary to look for

The sohc cb750 is a very solid machine. Ive gotten 3 to run with very little effort. Only drawback to the 77-78 is carb parts aren't the easiest to source. Specifically the carb boots. Aftermarket are available sporadically but they do break down faster. Overall great bikes tho.

Back
Top Bottom