The Red Bike

Oh, I don't remember when we last spoke about it, but, Phil Irvin didn't do 76 degree crank to reduce vibration, he did it to loose flywheel so motor would accelerate much faster.
It's the reason I'm doing it (and grinding on flywheels 8) )
The reduction in vibration was only a 'happy' side effect of the crank mod.
I remember reading the actual Irvin article somewhere instead of the later ones which talk more abut vibration reduction

kopcicle said:
2.50-18 Borrani laced to KZ70B2 (twin) hub . 130/80-18 66P TT K180 . The 40 tooth sprocket is somewhat excessive :) .

Thanks again Matt .

~kop
woohoo new rubber

a bit more work

~kop

Attachments

• 2into1_2.jpg
    2into1_2.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 401
  • 2into1_1.jpg
    2into1_1.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 382
  • 2into1.jpg
    2into1.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 394
Sexy wheels buddy. Oh and Hey, when you try to tune those CV carbs with pods, I've got some shit for you to read. ...

I need to add that the clean up wouldn't have been possible without one amazing product .
http://www.ospho.com/
07000194-2T.jpg

Once the orange had been scraped away with a wad of aluminum foil and a wire brush for the hard to get spots it was off to the buffer with the usual assortment of compounds .

final finish was done with
http://bluemagicusa.com/index.php/blue_magic/products/210/blue_magic_metal_polish_cream_jar/
metalpolishcreamjars.png

I also use the Blue Magic as a finish for the aluminum covers .

A brief word about polishing . Heat is your enemy , oil and grease not far behind . When changing from coarse to finer compounds it's better to change the mop with it rather than mix grits . Although most modern auto wax and finish products will not turn color within reasonable temperatures a few will go blue or amber with just normal engine heat . To this day the only thing I've found for protecting the pipes is the oily rag ;-) .

And last but not least I made a final mop from circles cut from a chamois and stacked onto a a die grinder cut off wheel arbor . Too large a circle and the chamois just winds up on the shaft . Too small a circle and the die grinder easily over speeds the cloth and it disappears at extraordinary velocities .

~kop

I found the before pics

~kop

Attachments

• 2into1before2.jpg
    2into1before2.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 925
  • 2into1before1.jpg
    2into1before1.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 402
  • 2into1before.jpg
    2into1before.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 407
Until you mentioned the cleaning, I thought they were stainless pipe MAC ;D 8)

So , I have these two Cp die grinders . One was an experiment into "porting the rotary air motor" . The usual hog out the passages and not so subtly alter the port timing so that the torque went away and the RPM was somewhere north of 25K . The other is near stock save for it usually wears the 3" cut off due to its torque .

So I built up a 2 1/2" mop out of 5 or 6 layers and stuck it in the 30K rpm die grinder ....

First trigger pull the mop exploded and for a instant I considered myself fortunate that the debris had somehow missed my face . I looked up to see a fair portion of the chamois wrap itself around a whip antenna and bend it near horizontal , directly away from me . In a near Warner Brothers cartoon moment I froze , waiting for the inevitable .

What didn't hit me full in the face ricocheted off into the air compressor belt guard , there to foul and dismount the belt with enough force to blow the guard off . The rest knocked my cigarettes off the the bench to be soaked by the last beer in the house also falling off bench .

it was worth telling

~kop

kopcicle said:
So , I have these two Cp die grinders . One was an experiment into "porting the rotary air motor" . The usual hog out the passages and not so subtly alter the port timing so that the torque went away and the RPM was somewhere north of 25K . The other is near stock save for it usually wears the 3" cut off due to its torque .

So I built up a 2 1/2" mop out of 5 or 6 layers and stuck it in the 30K rpm die grinder ....

First trigger pull the mop exploded and for a instant I considered myself fortunate that the debris had somehow missed my face . I looked up to see a fair portion of the chamois wrap itself around a whip antenna and bend it near horizontal , directly away from me . In a near Warner Brothers cartoon moment I froze , waiting for the inevitable .

What didn't hit me full in the face ricocheted off into the air compressor belt guard , there to foul and dismount the belt with enough force to blow the guard off . The rest knocked my cigarettes off the the bench to be soaked by the last beer in the house also falling off bench .

it was worth telling

~kop
lol the tinkerer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

just...

Attachments

• 20150510_140845.jpg
    20150510_140845.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 319
  • 20150510_140856.jpg
    20150510_140856.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 302